Mitch Rosen   Kahr Shop   Tommy Gun Shop   Magnum Research new
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: K40 troubleshooting, fixed, runs great now thanks

Default K40 troubleshooting, fixed, runs great now thanks

Recently bought a new to me black k40 SN: DL04XX. Cleaned and lubricated it and it appeared to be practically unfired. I love the fit and feel of this little gun and need help to make it work dependably.

I shot 50 rounds of Federal 180 grain HST JHP using both 6 round magazines. Several fail to feed with the round nose diving slightly with the tip of the round in the mag well and the brass head on the breech face. Also a few fail to feed where the gun went into battery without a chambering a round.

I cleaned and lubed and put another 100 rounds of the same ammo through it with similar results.

I read the Kahr prep posts and tested the magazines as directed, they were hanging up, so I polished the right side of the magazine followers, cleaned and lubricated the weapon as indicated and put another 50 rounds down range. Only one FTF with the round hanging up on the feed ramp. However there were numerous failure to feed where the gun cycles and goes into battery without stripping or chambering a round. Click.

I carry an HK P2000 on duty and have shot semi autos for 30 years. I don’t think I am limp wristing. In fact I have intentionally tried to limp wrist during the first 100 rounds and it cycled fine, the FTF were when I maintained a good grip. Also, I am not engaging the slide lock with my off hand, although the nose of the round comes close to the slide lock it isnt touching. Mag springs are in properly, with the coil angled up toward the front of the magazine.

Any other suggestions on what could be the issue. I don’t want to try another brand of ammo. I have access to the 180 grain Federal which is why I bought the .40 in the first place.

Thanks for your help, appreciate this forum.
    Last edited by AFCop; 04-11-2014 at 05:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by AFCop View Post
    Cleaned and lubricated it and it appeared to be practically unfired.
    If it was mine, I would polish the feed ramp and see if it feeds FMJ. Maybe this gun just needs to be broken in before it will feed JHP reliably.

If that didn't resolve the problem, I would replace the recoil spring. This should resolve failure to return to battery.

I would also inspect the magazines to ensure the springs are installed correctly. You might try stretching the springs a bit to see if that resolves failure to strip the next round. New springs may be in order.

I would also check if the mag follower, or spring coil, is hanging up on the magazine catch. This could contribute to your feeding problem, as well.
    NRA Life Member

"Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician." -Col Jeff Cooper

With it occasionally not picking up a round I'd check the pick up rail and see if it's got a bevel on the front.

For awhile some had no bevel and the round in the magazine would pop up under the rail instead of in front of it.

Just lock the slide back and insert a loaded magazine and see if the case slides up in front of the breech face.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Quote Originally Posted by RRP View Post
    If it was mine, I would polish the feed ramp and see if it feeds FMJ. Maybe this gun just needs to be broken in before it will feed JHP reliably.

If that didn't resolve the problem, I would replace the recoil spring. This should resolve failure to return to battery.

I would also inspect the magazines to ensure the springs are installed correctly. You might try stretching the springs a bit to see if that resolves failure to strip the next round. New springs may be in order.

I would also check if the mag follower is hanging up on the magazine catch. This could contribute to your feeding problem, as well.
    It returns to battery, just doesnt always bring a round with it.

Mag follower was hanging on the mag catch, I believe I fixed that, as now the primary FTF issue is with it going into battery without a round.

Quote Originally Posted by Bawanna View Post
    With it occasionally not picking up a round I'd check the pick up rail and see if it's got a bevel on the front.

For awhile some had no bevel and the round in the magazine would pop up under the rail instead of in front of it.

Just lock the slide back and insert a loaded magazine and see if the case slides up in front of the breech face.
    Thanks you both for your replies.

The rail does not appear to be beveled, however the rounds sit well forward of the rail/breech face.

...now the primary FTF issue is with it going into battery without a round.
    My thought was that if the travel of the mag follower is impeded by the magazine catch, or if a coil of the spring hung up on the mag catch, the next round may not be pushed tightly into the feed lips, where it needs to be to be stripped by the cycle of the slide.
    NRA Life Member

"Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician." -Col Jeff Cooper

My thought was that if the travel of the mag follower is impeded by the magazine catch, or if a coil of the spring hung up on the mag catch, the next round may not be pushed tightly into the feed lips, where it needs to be to be stripped by the cycle of the slide.
    Oh, I see.

I 600 grit sanded/polished the mag follower until the nose dives in the magazine stopped. It still hangs when the follower is inserted in a disassembled mag in the well, just not as bad. I thought it was enough for the spring to overcome.

I was worried about taking too much material off the mag follower, I could take more off and see if that helps the fail to strip.

Oh, I see.

I 600 grit sanded/polished the mag follower until the nose dives in the magazine stopped. It still hangs when the follower is inserted in a disassembled mag in the well, just not as bad. I thought it was enough for the spring to overcome.

I was worried about taking too much material off the mag follower, I could take more off and see if that helps the fail to strip.
    One of my Kahrs had a burr on the tip of the magazine catch. I first noticed it because the mag was difficult to drop. I had to push the mag release with more force than normal. I corrected it in minutes with a few strokes of a file.

If your mag catch has a similar burr, it may be impeding the travel of the magazine follower.
    NRA Life Member

I would also check if the mag follower, or spring coil, is hanging up on the magazine catch. This could contribute to your feeding problem, as well.

AFC:

/\ /\ /\ this!

I would only add that magazine springs are available from wolff gunsprings and due to it being a used weapon replacing them might not hurt.

Be sure that the inside of the feed lips are nice and smooth.

HTH.

-steve
    -NRA Life Member

-It isn’t Islamophobia when they really ARE trying to kill you!

-Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property.
    Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them.
    -Thomas Paine

One of my Kahrs had a burr on the tip of the magazine catch. I first noticed it because the mag was difficult to drop. I had to push the mag release with more force than normal. I corrected it in minutes with a few strokes of a file.

If your mag catch has a similar burr, it may be impeding the travel of the magazine follower.
    I pulled the grips and there is no burr. With a disassembled mag in the well the follower does hang a little but the spring passes through smooth. I will tune the followers and see if that helps though the fail to feed is happening consistently not only on the 2nd or 3rd rounds.