Xssights   Mitch Rosen   Tommy Gun Shop   CrossBreed Holsters

Thread: Questions about DE for DE Owners

Default Questions about DE for DE Owners

I'm getting very interested in getting a 44 mag but had a few questions. First off I'll summarize my motivations.

I shot a friend's 50AE and simply found it to be a lot of fun to shoot. It feels good, sounds good, and I found it to be about as accurate as anything I shoot. My interest is in 44 Rem Mag because it appears to be far less expensive to shoot--for everything from brass to bullets.

I've been impressed by the popularity of 44 Mag over the years, and most everyone who is asked seems to love the cartridge. But, I'm just not a revolver fan, and would prefer an auto pistol. I don't hunt, never will hunt, and even if I ever do I'd use a rifle. So no interest there. My sole purpose for having a DE in 44 Mag is to punch holes in paper, and do it with a big bang. I find that fun.

My questions are these:

"I read somewhere" that the gun is difficult to maintain due to difficulty in cleaning the gas mechanism. In fact, I think I read that's it's not possible to disassemble the gun to clean it if the gas cylinder gets gummed up.

"I read somewhere" that the alleged problem I've tried to describe above is made worse shooting cast bullets, and for this reason (OR due to the polygonal barrel, I not sure which), one should not shoot case bullets in the gun.

Now, I'm pretty familiar with the legend and lore of shooting cast bullets in the stock Glock barrels, and my personal experience here is that this is complete bunkum for the masses. I do it regularly, by the 1000s, and have seen no problems. So, I'd like to know what the legend and facts are (if there are any) regarding shooting cast in the DE.

I've read many comments that the DE is big, heavy and impractical, and I can't imagine anything nicer to have in a big bore magnum handgun than big and heavy if the only place you have to take it is to the range. But, as far as shooting paper say, with a scope or red dot, is the gun generally considered to be as accurate a shooter as the best of the factory stock .44 wheelguns?

Last question--while I like the looks of the ported DEs I've seen and would prefer to have the muzzle brake just for appearance, does anyone feel strongly about the actual benefit it provides. My own experience with a compact MagnaPorted gun is that it does nothing at all, or nothing that I can notice. Wondering if anyone has actually done a side-by-side comparison and feels it makes a difference on a 4 lb gun shooting 44 Mag, in your opinion.
    “If I had to live my life again, I'd make the same mistakes, only sooner.” T Bankhead
    NRA Patron Member
    US Air Force 1975-1996

I've shot DE's a bunch... but it was a while ago. Recoil is not a problem. Holding them on target is a problem (for some). A seriously heavy, and large pistol. Seriously.

I never really cozied up to the DE's, and have been bitten on the palm twice. Google Desert Eagle Slide Bite. Hurts like a mofo! Easy to do!

They're ok. They look like something Darth Vader played with as a kid. They shoot well, and are accurate. I'd rather have a Redhawk 5-1/2 inch .44 if I was inclinded to get another .44, but then again a Redhawk 5=1/2 inch .45 Long Colt would be more my liking.

You might say that I'm done with magnum handguns.

I've shot the 50AE and own the 44 -- one of my favorite guns to shoot.

The 44 is less recoil (but still a lot) and is much easier to find ammo for and cheaper for both commercial and for reloading (which is what I do).
    FYI -- I run Montana Gold 240gr semi-jacketed soft points under H110 on my DE.

The gun is actually easy to maintain but does take some time in cleaning. I do a field strip/clean after every range trip and clean the bolt about every couple of hundred rounds.

The gas system that really can't be cleaned (although I know that some who do) is the potion that is the internal tube that is just forward of the chamber and runs internal to the barrel to the piston area. This tube is the reason that you don't want to shoot lead bullets or exposed base lead bullets. Any lead or lube that may come off and plug up this tiny tube will effectively turn your semi-auto into a single shot.

A great resource is the DE Knowledge base located at http://zvis.com/dep/dep.shtml.

The area that you do clean is the piston section which is not very hard to do.

The gun is very accurate -- much more than I am. Personally I think it's more accurate than just about any other gun with the same barrel length as the bolt locks into the chamber and the barrel does not move and there is no cylinder gap involved. I know that it is more accurate (for me) than my Ruger GP100 with a 6" barrel running 357's. It also makes a heck of a sound when shooting steel plates.

Overall it is a fun gun and I shoot it about 100-150 rounds/month.

Can't speak to the porting though. If it were me I would only get the muzzle brake if I wanted the look rather than for function and would opt for the factory version. If you have a barrel ported you will lose some velocity versus the add-on brake.