Xssights   Crimsontrace   Tommy Gun Shop   Kahr Shop
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Strange feeding issue with CW380

Default Strange feeding issue with CW380

Hello,

I recently purchased a CW380 and I've noticed an odd feeding issue and I was wondering if anybody has seen this before. I went to chamber a round and the top of the brass casing is being wedged against the firing pin. After some testing I've found that this only occurs if the pistol has been dry fired prior to chambering the round. It looks like the firing pin isn't fully retracting before the round comes in contact with the breech face. Seems like this could possibly break the firing pin or worse cause an AD.

I've attached a picture, anybody seen this before?

Does this happen every time you dry fire before chambering a round? I have not experienced this with my CW380, but I'll do some experimenting.

The firing pins do not have a return spring. On both my mk9 & mk40 after dry firing the pin can be out or in. The best thing that I have found to do is before chambering the 1st round check the position of the pin & if it is out reach under the slide & pull it back. You can also just rack the slide back & forward then back again & the pin will be retracted. Under real firing conditions the pin will not be past the breechface.

That appears to be the restult of slingshot loading the first round. You have to get the slide ALL the way back in order to lock the firing pin against the cam, as would happen with live fire.

The condition that you are experiencing is perfectly normal. Kahr strikers do not have a return spring. When the slide cycles the cocking cam retracts the striker to a preset position during the last 1/2" of slide travel when the slide is returning to battery. See the attached video link for a visual explanation. You noobs worry about the damnedest things. As Jocko would say, " Just shoot the fokker like you stole it."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYRHp...e=results_main
    Never trust anyone who doesn't trust you to own a gun.

Life Member - NRA
    Colt Gold Cup 70 series
    Colt Woodsman
    Ruger Mark III .22-45
    Kahr CM9
    Kahr P380

Quote Originally Posted by muggsy View Post
    The condition that you are experiencing is perfectly normal. Kahr strikers do not have a return spring. When the slide cycles the cocking cam retracts the striker to a preset position during the last 1/2" of slide travel when the slide is returning to battery. See the attached video link for a visual explanation. You noobs worry about the damnedest things. As Jocko would say, " Just shoot the fokker like you stole it."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYRHp...e=results_main
    I disagree. While it's true that "Kahr strikers do not have a return spring. When the slide cycles the cocking cam retracts the striker to a preset position during the last 1/2" of slide travel when the slide is returning to battery" it is not normal that the striker protruding from the slide's breech face would cause a stoppage in the feed cycle.

The rim of a feeding round will pass over the striker hole well before the point that the cocking cam retracts the striker, but if by chance the striker is protruding, the round feeding up the breech face should have enough impetus/movement to force the striker back into the slide. It might be possible to force this type of stoppage by operating the slide too slowly when chambering a round, but beyond that I might suspect dirty/damaged/out of spec/improperly installed striker/slide parts, improperly installed or weak magazine spring, or an overly tight extractor.

To be clear here: as long as the striker can be very easily pushed completely back into the slide, it's highly unlikely this type of stoppage could occur once the first round is chambered as the fired case and slide movement will cause the striker to retract.

Regards,
    Greg
    Last edited by gb6491; 01-07-2017 at 07:30 PM.
    [<a href=http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif target=_blank>http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif</a>

Greg, I think that what we are both saying that there is no cause for concern. I doubt that it's very likely that anyone is going to find a striker that's out of spec. With normal maintenance you are not going have a dirty striker. If the striker breaks the gun is unlikely to fire at all. The gun was designed by a Harvard graduate. It is machine to the closest of tolerances. It goes through many inspections and every gun is test fired before leaving the factory. What we have hear is a lot of people who are overly concerned with a well proven product when they find something that they are unsure of through their own manipulations. I'll say it again, stop worrying and shoot the fokker like you stole it. Jocko has over 32,000 rounds through his PMJ9 and it's still going strong.

Life Member - NRA
    Colt Gold Cup 70 series
    Colt Woodsman
    Ruger Mark III .22-45
    Kahr CM9
    Kahr P380

I would check and clean the striker channel. It may be dirty so the striker does not have free travel in the channel.

It's a new gun. Did you clean the striker channel when you got the gun home?
    USCG, 1963-1967, GM-3
    NRA Benefactor Member

When you fire the gun and the slide comes to an abrupt stop at the end of it's travel. Inertia causes the striker to continue reward until it comes into contact with the striker spring. When the recoil spring starts the slide forward inertia keeps the striker from coming forward until it is captured by the cocking cam. It is further kept from coming forward by the striker block until the trigger is pulled fully to the rear. It's my opinion the the striker could ever interfere with feeding if the gun is kept reasonably clean and the striker channel isn't full of debris.
    Last edited by muggsy; 01-17-2014 at 03:07 PM.

Life Member - NRA
    Colt Gold Cup 70 series
    Colt Woodsman
    Ruger Mark III .22-45
    Kahr CM9
    Kahr P380

Thank you for the responses, this was the result of slingshot feeding for sure. It's a one off situation so I'm not going to worry about it, the only similar posts I could find were on a S&W forum and they were indicating it was a problem. The CW380 unlike my CM9 has been feeding reliably via the slingshot method so that's how I'd been doing it.

As for the "stop worrying and shoot the fokker like you stole it" comment, I would love to but last time I tried the gun was failing to return to battery about every other round. Kahr is sending me a new recoil spring so hopefully that will get her running right.