Crimsontrace   Xssights   Magnum Research new   Kahr Shop

Thread: P45 Extractor Problems

Default P45 Extractor Problems

I was shooting my Kahr P45 with factory plated round nose and it started jamming, I cleared the jam and it did the same thing. Putting it away I notice that it 'spit' out the extractor and the forward extractor pin and they were sitting on my pistol mat. This P45 has less than 100 rounds through it.

Customer service wants me to send it in so one of their factory gunsmiths can look at it, that's going to cost me $70 to ship and then their $60 per hour plus parts & return shipping. Has anyone else had these issues? It's an early serial number pistol. It's caused me to lose confidence in this firearm.

Quote Originally Posted by lft1023 View Post
    I was shooting my Kahr P45 with factory plated round nose and it started jamming, I cleared the jam and it did the same thing. Putting it away I notice that it 'spit' out the extractor and the forward extractor pin and they were sitting on my pistol mat. This P45 has less than 100 rounds through it.

Customer service wants me to send it in so one of their factory gunsmiths can look at it, that's going to cost me $70 to ship and then their $60 per hour plus parts & return shipping. Has anyone else had these issues? It's an early serial number pistol. It's caused me to lose confidence in this firearm.
    Request an e-mailed prepaid Fed-X mailer from Kahr service. They should be willing to send you one. If not return the gun to Kahr through your local FFL. His shipping cost will be less than one forth of what you just quoted.
    Never trust anyone who doesn't trust you to own a gun.

Life Member - NRA
    Colt Gold Cup 70 series
    Colt Woodsman
    Ruger Mark III .22-45
    Kahr CM9
    Kahr P380

Default Thanks Muggsy

I have talked with a guy I know who has a FFL and has agreed to ship my Kahr P45 for me. I'm trying to get permission from Kahr to allow him to ship it for me. Having trouble getting a reply from them, I'm assuming they were all at the Shot Show and are playing catch-up.

Quote Originally Posted by lft1023 View Post
    I have talked with a guy I know who has a FFL and has agreed to ship my Kahr P45 for me. I'm trying to get permission from Kahr to allow him to ship it for me. Having trouble getting a reply from them, I'm assuming they were all at the Shot Show and are playing catch-up.
    You don't need Kahrs permission to send it to them through your FFL if Kahr gave you an RA (return authorization) number.
    Never trust anyone who doesn't trust you to own a gun.

Life Member - NRA
    Colt Gold Cup 70 series
    Colt Woodsman
    Ruger Mark III .22-45
    Kahr CM9
    Kahr P380

Default P45 extractor

"It's an early serial number pistol."

The P45 was introduced in 2006, wasn't it?
    https://www.kahr.com/Reviews2006/combat-handguns.asp

You said it only has 100 rounds through it. Is the gun under 5 years old? I thought Kahr has a 5 year warranty. If so, you shouldn't pay a dime for shipping or repairs. I wouldn't be so accommodating or polite to the CS people if this happened to a 2,3,4 or 5 year old gun.
    Ask for Jay or Ian. Tell them the gun is new and you want all shipping and labor paid under warranty.
    Period.

Did you check at the rear of the slide to see if the retaining plate broke at the edge allowing the spring and follower to fall out from the rear?(pic #2)

The close up of the extractor on the left shows the wedge shaped pin pressing against the rear of the extractor. No spring tension here means no cases pulled out and extractor falling out. Either the rear retainer broke or the extractor itself broke.

Bits shouldn't just fall out onto the mat.

The second picture is the slide rear retainer plate. Inside that circle to the right is the retaining plate with the edge holding the extractor spring and follower in place.
    Attached Images Attached Images