CrossBreed Holsters   Mitch Rosen   Xssights   Tommy Gun Shop
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Well that was quick

Quote Originally Posted by JchWSU86 View Post
    Oh, and for clarification purposes, is the next round supposed to look like this? This picture was taken after chambering a round and ejecting the mag.(these were not the rounds I was firing, I was firing UMC FMJ)

Last night I picked up a 7 round mag from a local shop, and it doesn't do this. It feels much better all around. The rounds go in smoother, the lips of the mag dont seem to catch the round and it only moves the next round a fraction forward in comparison to this stock 6 round mag.

I sent an email to Kahr yesterday, but have not heard back yet. I will call them today.
    Last edited by JchWSU86; 01-23-2014 at 07:59 AM.

Default Not really

If you had allowed the mag to stay in the gun, the top round in the picture could not have traveled that far forward. My guess is just as was shown in a previous picture, that round was drug forward somewhat while it was in the gun and moved even a bit more forward during the mag drop.

While I would be the last one to defend the design of Kahr magazines, and all of mine seem to drag that next round forward a bit, it normally does not affect the function of the gun. That is, unless you are shooting some really short, fat bullets that could slightly engage the front corner of the slide stop causing premature slide lock issues.

Disregard what you know of how bullets feed in other gun magazines. None of my Colt's, Glock's or Sig's drag that next bullet forward like the Kahr does. The good new's is that, at least in my CM9, it does not seem to matter other than the slide stop issue I mentioned.

If you are having failures/jams, it may be a contributory factor but in my opinion, is not the primary cause.

Quote Originally Posted by crazyjz View Post
    If you had allowed the mag to stay in the gun, the top round in the picture could not have traveled that far forward. My guess is just as was shown in a previous picture, that round was drug forward somewhat while it was in the gun and moved even a bit more forward during the mag drop.

While I would be the last one to defend the design of Kahr magazines, and all of mine seem to drag that next round forward a bit, it normally does not affect the function of the gun. That is, unless you are shooting some really short, fat bullets that could slightly engage the front corner of the slide stop causing premature slide lock issues.

Disregard what you know of how bullets feed in other gun magazines. None of my Colt's, Glock's or Sig's drag that next bullet forward like the Kahr does. The good new's is that, at least in my CM9, it does not seem to matter other than the slide stop issue I mentioned.

If you are having failures/jams, it may be a contributory factor but in my opinion, is not the primary cause.
    Good to know. In my case, i did this because I was loading in 6+1 and it prevented the mag from dropping.

The 7 round did move forward, just a bit but not even comparable to the picture you see here. and was able to drop without resistance. This was using the same rounds.

Only time will tell. I will be going to the range to break in sometime this weekend, as I don't want any excuses from Kahr, if I have to send the gun back in.

Quote Originally Posted by JchWSU86 View Post
    Last night I picked up a 7 round mag from a local shop, and it doesn't do this. It feels much better all around. The rounds go in smoother, the lips of the mag dont seem to catch the round and it only moves the next round a fraction forward in comparison to this stock 6 round mag.

I sent an email to Kahr yesterday, but have not heard back yet. I will call them today.
    Polishing the mag lips has become the norm for metal mags, and for me, the follower mods that fixes the common feeding/racking hickups.
    If the mods don't work, a follower is not a lot of money to replace, but this has never been my experience.
    Try it, try something, have someone else do it, or play phone tag with Kahr, your choice.
    jmo
    I apologize if my post contains the same or similar information as someone who has posted before me.

Default 7 rd mags

I have two 7 rd mags and both of them work great. I prefer them for long range sessions since they allow me to get one more finger on the gun.

I read through this entire forum at least twice before I purchased my CM9. (Makes you wonder if I'm some sort of masochist huh?) I completely went through all 4 of my mags, pretty much doing what everybody suggested to avoid issues.

I buffed out the feed lip edges, I took a dremel to the cutout for the mag release button. (I eliminated the square edge on the inside of the mag, making it more difficult for anything to get caught on it.) I buffed the inside of the mag to a mirror finish and the right side of the follower was relieved slightly and then also buffed.

Had it not been for the feed ramp breaking my followers, I think I would have been one of the few people who got a really good gun right from the factory. At any rate, we'll see how it goes once I get it back.

By the way, I did not do the "feed ramp modification". I was prepared to do it if I had a reason to but my my pistol fed perfectly except for the premature slide lock issue a few times. I attribute those issues w the ammo I was shooting. I could easily choose to shoot a more tapered round that quite likely would have eliminated that issue. As it is, Kahr is supposed to be relieving the inside front edge of the slide lock so that does not happen anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by crazyjz View Post
    I have two 7 rd mags and both of them work great. I prefer them for long range sessions since they allow me to get one more finger on the gun.

I read through this entire forum at least twice before I purchased my CM9. (Makes you wonder if I'm some sort of masochist huh?) I completely went through all 4 of my mags, pretty much doing what everybody suggested to avoid issues.

I buffed out the feed lip edges, I took a dremel to the cutout for the mag release button. (I eliminated the square edge on the inside of the mag, making it more difficult for anything to get caught on it.) I buffed the inside of the mag to a mirror finish and the right side of the follower was relieved slightly and then also buffed.

Had it not been for the feed ramp breaking my followers, I think I would have been one of the few people who got a really good gun right from the factory. At any rate, we'll see how it goes once I get it back.

By the way, I did not do the "feed ramp modification". I was prepared to do it if I had a reason to but my my pistol fed perfectly except for the premature slide lock issue a few times. I attribute those issues w the ammo I was shooting. I could easily choose to shoot a more tapered round that quite likely would have eliminated that issue. As it is, Kahr is supposed to be relieving the inside front edge of the slide lock so that does not happen anymore.
    nevermind...
    I apologize if my post contains the same or similar information as someone who has posted before me.

Maybe I'm missing something.
    It seems that a Kahr buyer has two choices if he wants to be absolutely certain his new gun will function properly.

(A) He can buy the gun and just send it back to Kahr for repair.
    or
    (B) He can polish the feed ramp to help with feeding issues, remove some of the feed ramp to prevent breaking followers, and polish the lips of all the magazines.

Is this a kit gun?

Sorry folks.
    The only thing a person should have to do a brand new gun is clean it and lubricate it.

Default Well that was quick

Quote Originally Posted by MBSL500 View Post
    Maybe I'm missing something.
    It seems that a Kahr buyer has two choices if he wants to be absolutely certain his new gun will function properly.

(A) He can buy the gun and just send it back to Kahr for repair.
    or
    (B) He can polish the feed ramp to help with feeding issues, remove some of the feed ramp to prevent breaking followers, and polish the lips of all the magazines.

Is this a kit gun?

Sorry folks.
    The only thing a person should have to do a brand new gun is clean it and lubricate it.
    Well said.

I really like how the Kahr handles, shoots and carries. I just want to ensure its reliable. Period.

and most all kahrs will do that to. This is a kahr forum so ur gonna see issues here first. Most owners dont post when their guns are working perfect. Most kahr owners don't even know about this forum or really give a nats ass about a kahrforum.

Some of the tings here are merely helpful tips that might save a person some time sending it back if he feels like alittle TLC. Otherwse, that is what one has a warranty for.

Question( A ) surely ur not referring to buying a new gun and not even shooting it to see what goes, but just buy it and then send it in???? That wold be strange indeed.

Lets see I had one of the first Ruger lcp, they recalled 50K of them, do to drop safe issues. Have a G19 truly my best shooter, had to go back once. My P380 went back once, My utter 3 big kahrs have been flawless. No one wants to get a bad gun, no matter who makes it, but it happens.

I won't go into how many times I sent my 3kel teks back...
    . My PM9 has over 40,000+ rounds through it, and runs much better than an illegal trying to get across our border

NRA BENEFACTOR MEMBER

MAY GOD BLESS MUGGSY

If they are still sending guns out the door that may need magazine lips polished, feed ramps polished and material removed from feed ramps in order to function correctly, then they have piss-poor quality control.
    The fact that you had problems with your Keltec is of no consequence to those who buy a new Kahr expecting it to function perfectly right out of the box.