Xssights   Tommy Gun Shop   Tommy Gun   Mitch Rosen

Thread: CM9 Barrel Pit/Crater

Default CM9 Barrel Pit/Crater

Hello, new member/Kahr CM9 owner here. So Monday morning I called Kahr tech support asking if I should be concerned about a pit I’ve noticed inside my new CM9 barrel. I just picked up the gun at my local dealer this past Saturday. I noticed the pit while cleaning the gun, which is approximately 0.030-0.040 dia I'd guess, inside about one quarter inch from the muzzle. I was asked to e-mail them a photo to service@karh.com. In the photo I sent you can clearly see that about two thirds of the pit is in the valley with about one third of it breaking into the landing. I lightly ran a dental pick across this spot and it gets hung up, so there is some depth to it. I’d describe this more like a chunk of metal missing vs. a pit to be honest.

I have not fired the gun yet because I have concern about this. I’ve called Kahr tech support twice since sending them the photo on Monday leaving messages but have not received a return call as of yet. That kind of bums me out because I’ve read more good comments about their Customer Support than bad. Has anyone here experienced a Kahr barrel flaw to this extent or have experienced days of unreturned phone messages from them? What’s your thoughts about shooting this thing?

\no doubt shooti it is not gonna hurt u or the gun but if ur nothapy with it, how about going back where u got it and see if they will swap barrels off of a new cm9, they will interchange. If they will not, and ur deeply concerned, the wait until the shot show is over and kahr gets back to taking care of business and ask them if u can just send them the barrel, as u can sendit regular mail that way for $5 and under. Shootin it will not void ur wqarranty at all, so if ur alittle forgiving, why ot shot a 100 rounds and see how the gun shoots etc before jumping off the bridge. I am not sure it will effect accuracy at all, but again, not my call to make either. Have u given that barrel a damn good cleaning with some HoppeS 9 to see if maybe there is just some buildup there to. again ur not gonna hurt anything..
    . My PM9 has over 40,000+ rounds through it, and runs much better than an illegal trying to get across our border

NRA BENEFACTOR MEMBER

MAY GOD BLESS MUGGSY

Thanks jocko. Yeah, it's clean. This is definitely a void, not buildup. I figured I'll be talking with my salesman this Saturday (only day during the week he works) to see if he can do anything for me. I don't suspect that the barrel would explode or anything like that, but I'm hesitant to waste my ammo through something that may be getting replaced. I thought too that maybe the SHOT Show was effecting their service, on top of some weather related issues. Trying my best to stay patient

If anyone responds with:

"Just shoot it like ya stole it"......I'm going to lose my lunch.

Well I finally found the time to go shoot this CM9, not to mention grew tired of waiting to receive a response back from Kahr. Although I’m really disappointed with my first experience with trying to receive some Kahr support, I am very impressed with how this little 9 shoots. I ran 75 rounds (standard 6 mag) through it without issue. Sierra snow storm was rolling in so I didn’t bother with a target, too windy. I’ll check out the accuracy on paper next time out.

Quote Originally Posted by NVRicochet3006 View Post
    Thanks jocko. Yeah, it's clean. This is definitely a void, not buildup. I figured I'll be talking with my salesman this Saturday (only day during the week he works) to see if he can do anything for me. I don't suspect that the barrel would explode or anything like that, but I'm hesitant to waste my ammo through something that may be getting replaced. I thought too that maybe the SHOT Show was effecting their service, on top of some weather related issues. Trying my best to stay patient
    u might ask ur salesman if he wold even swap barrels with you, let them worry aobut it. THEY SOLD IT. Shootin it ain't gonna hurt u or the gun, probably will not effect accuracy either but if it is sumpin u don't want to live with then indeed pursue it. Kahr will make it right,b ut maybe so would ur saleman..IMO the gun need not to totally go back either, but again I ain't kahr so hard telling what they will say to you. If they say it needs togo back then have them issue a pre paid pick up. If they say just the barrel, u can send it quicker than wiating on thier pickup for $5 regular mail LEGALLY.
    . My PM9 has over 40,000+ rounds through it, and runs much better than an illegal trying to get across our border

NRA BENEFACTOR MEMBER

MAY GOD BLESS MUGGSY

Yeah, I asked the dealership that and they said they can’t. Then again they don’t stock this model, had to order it for me. I guess if the accuracy isn’t being effected then I’ll just shoot the hell out of this barrel until it’s worn and keep my fingers crossed that the next one is pristine, ha!

at least u have a positive attitude. some woulde ***** and rais all kinds of hell on this forum and we can't do anythng about it. Its ur decision. It ain't gonna blow up. I never look down my arrel anymore. My PMJ9 is my defense gun, it goes bang every time shoots within 6 foot of where I aim, so I feel good about it. Just sayin

NRA BENEFACTOR MEMBER

MAY GOD BLESS MUGGSY

Quote Originally Posted by NVRicochet3006 View Post
    Hello, new member/Kahr CM9 owner here. So Monday morning I called Kahr tech support asking if I should be concerned about a pit I’ve noticed inside my new CM9 barrel. I just picked up the gun at my local dealer this past Saturday. I noticed the pit while cleaning the gun, which is approximately 0.030-0.040 dia I'd guess, inside about one quarter inch from the muzzle. I was asked to e-mail them a photo to service@karh.com. In the photo I sent you can clearly see that about two thirds of the pit is in the valley with about one third of it breaking into the landing. I lightly ran a dental pick across this spot and it gets hung up, so there is some depth to it. I’d describe this more like a chunk of metal missing vs. a pit to be honest.

I have not fired the gun yet because I have concern about this. I’ve called Kahr tech support twice since sending them the photo on Monday leaving messages but have not received a return call as of yet. That kind of bums me out because I’ve read more good comments about their Customer Support than bad. Has anyone here experienced a Kahr barrel flaw to this extent or have experienced days of unreturned phone messages from them? What’s your thoughts about shooting this thing?
    By all means get a nice barrel and return just the barrel or the whole gun.
    There should be no crater. As far as accuracy may be nil effect. However
    this is an area that could erode or corrode. I checked my barrel for you
    Bro. It is smooth shiny (clean and lubed) and the rifling is clearly visible,
    no pits. It's a new gun the rifling should be pretty perfect. Send it back.
    Since there is no serial number on the barrel they can exchange it, but
    you might want to send it back so they can assure barrel ramp and
    magazine follower clearance.

My PM9 came with a pit identical to what you have described. Didn't bother accuracy so I shot/carried it for over a year before contacting Kahr. They gave me an address to mail the barrel to. Two days later (before I even packed up the old barrel) a new barrel arrived in my mailbox! One call and 2 day delivery. Literally. So my experience has been great with Kahr. Just bought new CM9 which should be in by Wednesday.