Crimsontrace   Tommy Gun Shop   Tommy Gun   Xssights

Thread: Chopping a TP9 AND cutting dust cover back

Default Chopping a TP9 AND cutting dust cover back

So, I'm interested in chopping a TP9 down to the P9 grip length. That really isn't a problem.

I'd also like to cut back the dust cover to more closely resemble the original TP9 configuration (guess its the p9 length)

Does anyone think that would be a problem? I think it just has polymer rails up front but maybe those have steel inserts too? Wondering if I can do this with a simple cutting wheel. Thanks for the input. Unless anyone has an original TP9 they want to sell. Ha.

Best Regards as always.

K

Grip, no problem. Dust cover.... most likely a problem. Rails as you mention, and overall fit with the slide is another. Current P9 and TP9 share the same dust cover length though. Only the grip is longer on the TP series.

Actually, they lengthened the dust cover on the newer TP9 also. The original TP had the same frame as the P9. New TP has longer grip and longer dust cover.

I wouldn't try and shorten the dust cover. There are metal rails embedded and there isn't much poly material between the rails.and the end of the dust cover.

Sorry...didnt know that.

Aww hell, buy a CW9 and TP slide and barrel and recoil system

Default cutting dust cover back

Quote Originally Posted by kcarmo4 View Post
    So, I'm interested in chopping a TP9 down to the P9 grip length. That really isn't a problem.

I'd also like to cut back the dust cover to more closely resemble the original TP9 configuration (guess its the p9 length)

Does anyone think that would be a problem? I think it just has polymer rails up front but maybe those have steel inserts too? Wondering if I can do this with a simple cutting wheel. Thanks for the input. Unless anyone has an original TP9 they want to sell. Ha.

Best Regards as always.

K
    I don't own a TP series Kahr, so please read the following with that in mind as I might be talking out my rear end.
    Here's a screen shot of a TP series pistol from this video Kahr has posted on youtube (near the 3:12 mark):

The metal front rails appear to start some distance back from the front of the dust cover (as the arrows indicate). That suggest to me that you could trim the dust cover back to a position similar to that in the photo below (a P40 posted by 95ImpySS on another forum). If the rails on the TP you intend to chop are not like those in the above photo, then all bets are off.

I would suggest using a magnet to verify that the metal rails stop short of this point.
    Regards,
    Greg
    [<a href=http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif target=_blank>http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif</a>

I'm curious as to what you hope to gain by this part of your project?
    Judging by today's left wing, looks like Senator Joe McCarthy was right after all.

agree, I would not mess with chopping that dust cover. IMO no one is gonna say Wow that dust cover looks out of whack. Oh well to each his own I guess.
    . My PM9 has over 40,000+ rounds through it, and runs much better than an illegal trying to get across our border

NRA BENEFACTOR MEMBER

MAY GOD BLESS MUGGSY

Some people just have a lot of time on their hands........................

I actually thought about something similar once. Other than a double-stack Kahr, one of the things I'd like would be a 'commander' TP9. Basically a 3.5" barrel/slide w/ a full TP9 8 round grip. Dunno why. It's that 'free time' thing and thinking about things that'd be cool.

It's the pride from pulling off something different. I get it. Good luck.
    ​O|||||||O