Magnum Research new   Tommy Gun Shop   Kahr Shop   CrossBreed Holsters
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Goldilocks 9mm: which one is just right?

That's a good example of why guns should be really test fired and make sure that it not only functions, but functions with the chosen ammo. Preaching to the choir and I know that you know that, but almost everybody I talk to has or is getting a gun -- other customers at Wal-Mart, my buddy, or my letter-carrier -- and just loads them up and puts them in a safe or something. I explain to them the importance of making sure the gun and ammo work and the importance of being able to get to it in a timely manner. Knowing how to shoot and hit your target helps, too, hence the break-in and practice being necessary components of self-defense.
    I'm still trying to get my 37-year-old son to take his police-surplus Glock 22 to the range and shoot it. I don't think he has ever fired it.

You've probably already done this, but check the magazine. Take it apart and clean every part. Use a ruler to push a rag through the tube and remove all old lubricant and check that the follower falls freely from the base to the mouth while held upside down. I lightly oil the spring and spray a burst of dry-lube into the tube before assembly.
    Wynn
    USAF Retired '88, NRA Life Member. Wife USAF Retired '96
    Avatar: Wynn re-enlists his wife Desiree, circa 1988 Loring AFB, ME. 42nd BMW, Heavy (SAC) B-52G's
    Frédéric Bastiat’s essay, The Law: http://mises.org/books/thelaw.pdf

Thomas Jefferson said

“A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.”
    and

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

Well as stated I got a package of snap caps and, in groups of 5 each, loaded them into the magazine, pulled the slide back, pulled the trigger, and cycled the slide again for a total of 200 "shots". Only two malfunctions the whole time, and in each case it was because I inadvertently rode the slide back down rather than letting it slam. So other than the "my fault" ones, really no malfunctions.

I know this isn't a complete test, but I'll get it out to the range the next chance I have (probably in a couple of weeks) and let you know how it goes. Between now & then I might put a couple hundred more snap caps through the cycle. I'm hoping it was just gummy from sitting around for a decade. It's had a very good cleaning now.
    Ray

NRA Endowment Life Member
    SAF Life Member

That would be the most likely culprit. I still see Beretta guts in my sleep. That whole armorer thing. I would use the non chlorinated brake cleaner a bit extra in there. If that failed, Simple Green will get the crud out, then be sure to re oil a couple of times after that. If it was a sheared extractor, then it wouldn't be hit or miss. You should be ok after your through cleaning.
    Attitude: it takes 43 muscles to frown, 17 to smile...and 3 for proper trigger squeeze.

The olive branch is considered a symbol of peace, and good will. Last time I checked, it's still a switch.

I think its the grips