CrossBreed Holsters   Magnum Research new   Tommy Gun   Mitch Rosen
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: P380 Not Cycling Rounds Reliably

Default P380 Not Cycling Rounds Reliably

Hi all,

I've had my P380 since October of 2012. I performed the lube and the 200 round break in. It was always picky on the ammo it ran through it; it liked Fiochi brass. Everything else would get hung up on chambering so I would have to push it on in. I sent it back to Kahr for that problem and the premature slide lock issue. They said they got it working like it was supposed to.

When I got it back, it didn't cycle anything but Federal brass (which are really hard to find in my area). Throughout the year, I would shoot the Federals when I could but it still had the same issue of not feeding. Two weeks ago I decided I was going to go through another 200 round break in. I purchased everything I could find; Winchester FMJ, Fiochi FMJ, and my brother in law gave me some Tula Steel.

I shot the federals out of it with only one getting hung up on feeding and then I loaded the Tulas. I shot one round before the next got stuck in the chamber. No racking the slide of any kind was going to move that round. I took it home and carefully removed the stuck round with a dowel rod and a ball peen hammer.

Ok, so my next step is to try the remaining rounds out at the range. My expectations are not great and I'm becoming increasingly frustrated with this gun. I will shoot all the rounds I own before I send it back to Kahr again.
    Any suggestions?

Michael Vick????? surely u could have come up with a better signature line. Just sayin
    . My PM9 has over 40,000+ rounds through it, and runs much better than an illegal trying to get across our border

NRA BENEFACTOR MEMBER

MAY GOD BLESS MUGGSY

Could be his real name, Jocko.
    Never trust anyone who doesn't trust you to own a gun.

Life Member - NRA
    Colt Gold Cup 70 series
    Colt Woodsman
    Ruger Mark III .22-45
    Kahr CM9
    Kahr P380

Suggest not firing the Tula ammo at all.

Here's my list of things to try. Worked on my CW40s.

Watch out for inadvertent limp wristing. Hold it like you're holding a rattlesnake by the neck.

Buff/polish the magazine feed lips. Take apart the magazine(s) and clean them thoroughly with gun cleaner and a rag. Do not lube. Insert the unassembled magazine into the grip, turn upside down and drop the follower in. It should never hang up on the magazine release. If it does, lightly sand the follower at the point of hang-up until it clears every time. Ensure the spring is reinstalled correctly.

Buff/polish the barrel ramp. If there are any burrs, remove them with fine sandpaper and buff.

Buff/polish the slanted end of the slide stop. It is the part that has a 45 degree slant. The bullet passes this while chambering. Some bullet profiles (wad cutters especially) may be too wide and cause the slide stop to raise, causing the slide to lock back prematurely. Judiciously sand until this does not happen or find bullet profiles that work.

Reduce the amount of friction the slide generates when fired by cleaning it and the rails (metal, not plastic) on the frame and lubing according to the lube diagram (see New Member Area of this forum).

Thanks Bob. I had a Keltec previously to the Kahr and I performed the "fluff and buff" on the Kahr already but I will do all of those things you mentioned and try it out.
    Yeah, the Tula's are out (I guess I'm used to my Xd firing anything I feed it).

As for my username, I think I created this profile in his hay-day of turning his life around with Tony Dungy, but I guess I couldn't think of anything else catchy.

I won't be able to get on this till next weekend though as I'm traveling for work. I'll let you know how I come out.

Send it in with a detailed letter and beg them to make it right

Smoker,

I thought of doing that too. I want to put forth every effort to make it work but I also think it's their problem.

Oh, and Bob, I have had others shoot it so we are fairly certain it's not a limpwrist problem.

You spent good $ on that gun. It should fire any ammo, including tula steel

MichaelVick, more on the premature lock back: with the slide locked open, insert a loaded magazine slowly, from the top watch the left-front of the topmost bullet as it passes the slanted part of the slide lock pin. If the bullet touches it, that is a likely cause of premature slide lock. When the pistol fires, all sorts of G forces happen and the next to load round could jerk around in the magazine as it is forced upwards by the spring. If one of the jerks hits that slide lock pin, it will be pushed up and lock the slide prematurely.

YMMV, but it was quite evident with one of my CW40s. Sanding down the slanted part of the slide lock pin just enough to clear the bullet worked. Obviously, don't take off so much that the follower won't raise that part or an empty magazine won't lock the slide open.

BTW, my comment on limp wristing was just generic. No implication concerning your technique.

For the rest of the forum, this is the type of manufacturing problem (a part too long to allow proper function) that should have been caught by a good quality program at the factory.

Default P380 Not Cycling Rounds Reliably

Quote Originally Posted by smokersteve View Post
    You spent good $ on that gun. It should fire any ammo, including tula steel

In the Q&A section of Kahr's website is a question about ammo recommendation. The response includes "Kahr does not recommend steel case, reloads or un-jacketed ammunition".

Is that some CYA lawyer crap? Probably so, but Kahr does recommend that you skip the steel cased ammo. Just FYI...

NRA Endowment Life Member
    NRA Benefactor Life Member

I love my COUNTRY...but I don't trust my GOVERNMENT.