Xssights   Tommy Gun Shop   Kahr Shop   Magnum Research new
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: For those that had followers break, how many rounds before they broke?

Thanks Jocko - Bawanna's right - didn't need a decoder, translator or nothin.

I have a cm40.broke a follower around round 170 i heard so much about them breaking that i checked after every 5 rounds fired called kahr two.weeks ago got the guy with the accent and i dont like him because he doesent make shure the info u give him is correct but he said he would send one to me and if it happend again another trip back so two weeks.later still waiting i took the mag apart and took out the broken peice and it.works but still broken

I called Kahr up and after a good wait I got the Brit guy on the phone, I read him the riot act and told him that he better strighten up and stop mouthing off to our forum members like he has been or I was coming up there for a sit down and it wasn't going to be pretty !!!!

He told me to go over buff off....

Guess I told him !!!....

I found both the followers for my 6 round 9mm mags to be broken a few days ago. I have about 800 rounds through my CM9.

However, I think I have found a relatively simple solution to the broken followers, that doesn't involve a rampectomy. (Two of my mags have broken followers; Kahr is going to send me replacements.)

If you examine the follower, you'll see there is a lip on the polymer at the front of it that is pretty sharp and abrupt.

What I just did was take the mag apart, and using a dremel drum sander removed that lip so it's now a smooth slope. It wasn't necessary to remove all that much of the follower.

Take a look at the pics to see what it looks like.

When I put the mag in, it doesn't come anywhere close to the ramp any more.
    Last edited by Bang_button; 01-31-2014 at 09:43 AM. Reason: Add photos

Quote Originally Posted by Bang_button View Post
    I found both the followers for my 6 round 9mm mags to be broken a few days ago. I have about 800 rounds through my CM9.

However, I think I have found a relatively simple solution to the broken followers, that doesn't involve a rampectomy. (Two of my mags have broken followers; Kahr is going to send me replacements.)

If you examine the follower, you'll see there is a lip on the polymer at the front of it that is pretty sharp and abrupt.

What I just did was take the mag apart, and using a dremel drum sander removed that lip so it's now a smooth slope. It wasn't necessary to remove all that much of the follower.

When I put the mag in, it doesn't come anywhere close to the ramp any more.
    Thanks for the info! I think I'll try that with my Dremel.

Default For those that had followers break, how many rounds before they broke?

Just received a new follower from Kahr today. Will give it a whirl and post results.

I haven't followed this as closely as I probably should, but I am more and more leaning toward getting a CM9 or PM9. I had my eye exclusively on an XDS 9, but hanging around here has corrupted me.

So, it sounds like the feed ramp is smashing into the plastic follower. And, does it do this with the PM9, too? Has it always done this with all CM9's and perhaps the plastic is inferior in this recent batch of broken followers and just can't take the impact?

If taking off some plastic solves the issue, it makes you wonder if Kahr is already working on a mould for a new modified follower.

SaltyNC

Default For those that had followers break, how many rounds before they broke?

Quote Originally Posted by SaltyNC View Post
    I haven't followed this as closely as I probably should, but I am more and more leaning toward getting a CM9 or PM9. I had my eye exclusively on an XDS 9, but hanging around here has corrupted me.

So, it sounds like the feed ramp is smashing into the plastic follower. And, does it do this with the PM9, too? Has it always done this with all CM9's and perhaps the plastic is inferior in this recent batch of broken followers and just can't take the impact?

If taking off some plastic solves the issue, it makes you wonder if Kahr is already working on a mould for a new modified follower.

SaltyNC

I don't think the follower should contact the ramp. Or at least I can't imagine it was designed that way. I'd suggest you shoot both the Kahr and xds. I own the xds 45 in addition to the cm9. Biggest difference is that the xds 9 holds 1 more standard and weighs about 6 ounces more.

Upstate NY - (nothing like NYC). In remote country with thousands of acres of hunting.

My followers don't hit the feed ramp and I have yet to break one on any of my mags. They don't need much clearance, as long as they have clearance. If they are hitting your feed ramp, followers could be expected to break at any point...depending on the amount of contact they make. Think about it. I can only suspect (I am not an expert) that the harder they hit the ramp, the more likely they will break quicker.

As for taking down the follower, I'd think it would be much easier to reduce one feed ramp than all your followers. JMO.
    My Sword - PM4044N/CTL/Talons
    - "One should diligently train at all times." Miyamoto Musashi
    - "Train in technique until it requires no thought - no mind and just happens." Takan Soho
    - "The truth beyond the technique....Here's where we stop thinking and start shooting." Brian Enos
    - "A single sword against the cold sky." Yamaoka Tesshu
    - "You must concentrate upon and consecrate yourself wholly to each day, as though a fire were raging in your hair."
    Taisen Deshimaru
    - "Know your sword!"

Which one is out of spec? The follower or the feed ramp?

Sent from my SGH-T999L using Tapatalk