Tommy Gun Shop   Tommy Gun   Mitch Rosen   Kahr Shop
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sig Sauer P238

Default Sig Sauer P238

I've never really been a fan of the pocket pistols (Baby Brownings aside) let alone the mighty .380. That being said, a beautiful little Sig P238 came into the store yesterday and I REALLY liked it!

All metal frame, wood grips, three mags and pretty much NIB.

With the advances in boolits and I'm thinking this little guy just might make a great BUG or pocket pistol when attire requires. However, I don't know the first thing about them and was hoping for some honest feedback from those that know.

I will visit the Sig site but as we all know, members of a certain site can be a bit biased towards whatever flavor that site might be. I tend to trust the members here much more than other gun sites to be honest, even with our beloved Kahrs.

Default Sig Sauer P238

I personally love the little p238. I own a p380 as well and for months a friend was trying to get me to shoot his P938 and p238. I had no interest for the longest time.

Then last weekend I shot his P938 and fell in love. I was hitting the middle of the target each time. I went to the store and bought one. My dad was with me and did the same thing. At the store, I asked to see the P238 next to it. It was so tiny and I had heard so many good things about it. I decided to wait.

All weekend long it bugged me. So Monday I went to the store to 'look' at it again. The guy remembered me and gave me a very good discounted price since my dad and I had just bought two guns. I couldn't refuse. I took it to the range and put 200 rounds through it. It is such a soft little shooter. It was so easy to hit the target quickly everytime. I was making very tight groups. I am in love with both of these little P's from Sig.

Now saying all of that, I know the all steel p238 is about 5or 6 ounces heavier. It might be heavy for pocket carry. However, I can only imagine how many shots you can quickly get on the bulls eye with the extra weight. It would have almost no recoil.

Default Sig Sauer P238

They shoot nice. Easy to rack. Pretty. I had one for a while, but eventually sold it.

I liked it fine for the range, but never really carried it. There doesn't seem, at least to me, much point in carrying such a small pistol on the belt...so pocket carry.

The problem with that for me is that it's single action. I always carry with one in the pipe and ready to fire. For the P238 that meant "cocked and locked"...in the pocket. I just was never comfortable with that, YMMV.

If you're cool with condition 1 in your pocket, then I say go for it. They're super nice little pistols. Of course, they cost a good bit more than a CW380, but price isn't everything.

Let us know what you decide!
    NRA Benefactor Life Member

I love my COUNTRY...but I don't trust my GOVERNMENT.

There are variations in them. Earlier ones had a thinner slide/ there is 3 generations of mags/ only get one with the flatwire recoil spring. I had an early one that worked fine after the flatwire spring was installed. The newer one is the equinox version & has never malfunctioned with any ammo even reloads. Also the triggers can vary in them. Dry fire it to see if you like it. Overall great gun but I don't carry it anymore & probably will sell it.

It is the mousegun choice of 1911 fans. Good quality firearm.
    NRA Life Member

"Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician." -Col Jeff Cooper

Quote Originally Posted by RRP View Post
    It is the mousegun choice of 1911 fans. Good quality firearm.
    Exactly! As a 1911 fan, I could not pass up the P238 when looking for a small gun.
    It looks like a 1911, it breaks down like a 1911, and I am OK with condition 1 carry.
    And it does shoot soft, because unlike most .380s, it is not a blowback, it is recoil operated. And it is very accurate and nicely made.
    Yes, they are costly, but I bought the Cabelas version made just for them, with black wood grips and night sights, for $650.
    I honestly like it so much, I am considering a P938.

Here is a pic of mine with its big brother:

I've yet to find a pocket that my PM9j would not fit into.

Compare the sizes, and you'll find the PM9/CM9 are pretty dang small.

Just sayin'

Sounds like you already carry. Do your other carries have a thumb safety? I personally would not carry pistols of different manual of arms, whether carrying just one gun or two. I know that others do, so to each his own.
    Last edited by Bill K; 02-02-2014 at 03:38 PM.
    "I hate quotations. Tell me what you know."
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by Bill K View Post
    Sounds like you already carry. Do your other carries have a thumb safety? I personally would not carry pistols of different manual of arms, whether carrying just one gun or two. I know that others do so to each his own.
    Well Bill, I live in Illinois, so no carry yet. (Application is in though, should have my permit in April)

I've owned a 1911, a Browning Hi-Power, and a Ruger 22/45 for 20+ years...
    I never had a gun without a thumb safety until I bought my K40 at the end of last year, and it still feels weird not having a safety.

Once my gun clears the holster and is pointed at the target, the safety comes off...I don't even think about it.

I have both P238 and P938 in the SAS version. I love both and carry one or the other, depending on dress. I also have a PM9 that I am quite fond of. The 938 and PM9 are a little redundant, but I can't bring myself to get rid of either. They are both perfectly reliable. Cocked and locked doesn't bother me as the Sig 238/938 trigger is not a 'hairline' trigger at all. The safety is a very solid on or off tension, also. They are both amazingly accurate with the single action trigger and good felt recoil.

I love my PM9 and if the cocked and locked thing bothers you, the PM9 is the perfect pocket pistol. The 938 is just slightly longer than the PM9j but doesn't present any hindrance to pocket-ability. The 238 is a very thin, light, and solid little 380 that can go anywhere.