Tommy Gun   Xssights   Mitch Rosen   Kahr Shop
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Springfield Armory EMP 9

Default Springfield Armory EMP 9

Anything you can tell me about this gun good or bad. I found one used in excellent condition for $800.
    Never trust anyone who doesn't trust you to own a gun.

Life Member - NRA
    Colt Gold Cup 70 series
    Colt Woodsman
    Ruger Mark III .22-45
    Kahr CM9
    Kahr P380

I have a friend who owns one [45] and she is very happy with it. I haven't had an EMP, but I had another SA compact 45 1911 and it was quite reliable.

I don't remember what it was (most likely magazine issues as with most other "new" offerings), but they did have some teething problems with the early releases. I looked at one long and hard when the first hit the market at $1050-1100. Then at my local hangout, I compared my 4" Kimber Compact to one and didn't see much difference overall, with the exception of the grip being about a 1/16" narrower. It really felt good in my hand (short fingers) and looked very well made, but at the time, the price was more than I could bear. I'm sure that if I'd bought it, and worked it through the early "bugs", I probably would have stayed with the single action platform with my carry pistols and not bought near as many plastic fantastics.

It's not gun control that we need, it's soul control!

Quote Originally Posted by O'Dell View Post
    I have a friend who owns one [45] and she is very happy with it. I haven't had an EMP, but I had another SA compact 45 1911 and it was quite reliable.
    they make a .45 acp version of the EMP?

I knew they started with the 9, then the 40, but didn't think the .45 would fit the concept of the "90% frame size".

It's not gun control that we need, it's soul control!

Quote Originally Posted by mr surveyor View Post
    I don't remember what it was (most likely magazine issues as with most other "new" offerings), but they did have some teething problems with the early releases. I looked at one long and hard when the first hit the market at $1050-1100. Then at my local hangout, I compared my 4" Kimber Compact to one and didn't see much difference overall, with the exception of the grip being about a 1/16" narrower. It really felt good in my hand (short fingers) and looked very well made, but at the time, the price was more than I could bear. I'm sure that if I'd bought it, and worked it through the early "bugs", I probably would have stayed with the single action platform with my carry pistols and not bought near as many plastic fantastics.
    We must be related mr surveyor. I have short fingers, too. The EMP felt great in my hand as well. Much like my CM9.
    Never trust anyone who doesn't trust you to own a gun.

Life Member - NRA
    Colt Gold Cup 70 series
    Colt Woodsman
    Ruger Mark III .22-45
    Kahr CM9
    Kahr P380

I hear alot of things are SHORT on u muggs,not ust your finners. Just sayin.
    My advice to surv. do he family tree thing and if a Muggsy pops up anywhere.... BURN THE PAPER WORK. Just sayin

Had that happen in tracing my Italian heritage, found out years ago one of the family members married anutter family member. I think that was te beginning of Italian saying. Prmolego doamato si. INCEST IS BEST.
    . My PM9 has over 40,000+ rounds through it, and runs much better than an illegal trying to get across our border

NRA BENEFACTOR MEMBER

MAY GOD BLESS MUGGSY

Here's a good review of the EMP:
    http://www.dayattherange.com/?p=628
    http://www.dayattherange.com/?p=656

There was a gent on a 1911 forum converting EMP mags to a flush, welded base (not sure if he is still doing them or not).

Regards,
    Greg
    [<a href=http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif target=_blank>http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif</a>

I have the EMP 9 & I have also read a lot on them. Mine is serial # 258XX which has all the recent updates/mirror polished feedramp/polished breechface. The mags are real quality. IMO the only downside is the glued ejector but SA pinned mine right after I got it on their dime because it raised slightly & the slide was hard to pull off for cleaning even though the gun never failed & to this day has not yet. The gray box is the newer ones the blue box is earlier production. Great gun IMO & now you know some of what to look for. Good luck. I also now know how to field strip it without the little spacer provided.

Quote Originally Posted by mr surveyor View Post
    they make a .45 acp version of the EMP?

I knew they started with the 9, then the 40, but didn't think the .45 would fit the concept of the "90% frame size".
    Now that I think about it I believe you're right. Her gun is definitely a 45, so it must be a different model. Mine was an all SS 'Ultra Compact" - maybe hers is an all black UC.

I have been researching the EMP as well. I am really considering buying one. I would really like to hear a range report if you buy one. I am so on the fence right now.