Xssights   CrossBreed Holsters   Mitch Rosen   Magnum Research new
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: is my follower hitting ramp? update

Default is my follower hitting ramp? update

I took a video to show you. Barrel definitely pops up a bit. I wasn't sure if that was normal. Hopefully this link works.
    Last edited by takem; 02-06-2014 at 12:26 PM.

yes, its hitting it. no it should not hit it.
    I hate being bi-polar, its awsome!

Spoke to Ian in customer service and he says it isn't hitting the feed ramp or it would of broken by now (4-500 rounds through it). This is obviously not true if you browse a few threads you can see some break on the first 6 shots and some last until 1,000 rounds. If it does break they will replace it and after 2 times I can send it in. Not really what I was hoping for. Sure looks like it bumps the feed ramp to me. Plus there's a mark on the follower where it hits. He said it probably comes with in half the thickness of a cigarette paper. No chance it has tolerances like that. I thought this thing was legally under warranty. Not sure I trust my life to this gun. It's my last kahr for sure. That being said, I don't want to sell it so I guess I'll have to try the ramp mod route. Any suggestions on what exactly to use?

It is so "ing disappointing to hear how Kahr customer service takes one step forward and two steps backwards, CONTINUALLY. I have personally had good experiences with them, and have defended Kahr C.S. often ... but it's hard to deny the lack of consistent good customer treatment and service that is afforded to their customers.

Why should it have to break twice before being repaired. Major MAJOR B.S.

This kind of stuff really make me question my recommendations of the product.

Very, Very disappointing for such a good product design.

I wish someone there had the ability and authority to shake them back to their senses.

Yeah I feel like I was lied to and told I was wrong when It's clearly hitting. "half the width of a cigarette paper". Come on. Really don't want to take a dremel to it but shouldn't have to pay to have it done.

I apologize if my post contains the same or similar information as someone who has posted before me.

Quote Originally Posted by takem View Post
    . . . Any suggestions on what exactly to use?
    Yes, I do and it is based on experience.

Considering how little clearance you need, the rubber abrasive wheel that often comes with a Dremel is just the ticket. Hold the barrel so that the wheel is turning toward the bottom of the ramp to avoid it catching on the ramp and polish of a few thousandths of an inch of material from the end of ramp a little at a time between clearance checks. My clearance is the thickness of ordinary copy paper, from which I made my feeler gauge to check clearance with a fully assembled pistol. Your technique for checking clearance seems easier. I tried it today. The clearance I noted with just the frame, barrel, and slide lock in place appears to be the same as when I checked mine with a fully assembled pistol.

While you are removing material, try to retain the original shape of the edge you are working on for two reasons.
    1. If the shape has any real function in the way rounds feed, it will still provide that benefit when you are finished.
    2. If you have to send it in to Kahr, they will not even realize you have done anything to the ramp. That's a good thing.

This process is what I applied to both of my PM40's, neither of which has broken any followers since. The whole process from removing the barrel to final cleanup after a few strokes with the wheel should not take you more than about 10 minutes, if you are being careful. Less, if you want to be a "bubba".

By the way, one of my two PM40's did go back to Kahr for unrelated warranty work some time after the polishing and I never heard anything from them about it.

Oh, and I broke more than half a dozen of the free followers Kahr sent before hitting the end of the ramp with that little rubber polishing wheel.
    It would be so nice if something made sense for a change.
    -- Alice in Lewis Carroll's Alice's Adventures in Wonderland

Have you ever broken a follower or are you just trying to be proactive? IMHO, your video is not an accurate indication. You have the barrel resting on the plastic guide rails. With the gun assembled and functioning the barrel (and feed ramp) are raised at least a few millimeters.

It is a shame CS wasn't more helpful, but if you have broken a follower just take a little off as Tucson said. If you haven't broken one I wouldn't worry another minute about it.

I tested it assembled with a strip of paper. It gets pinched so tight I can't get it out. It is hitting and there's marks on the follower where it hit. I'm being proactive because it's a matter of time for sure. It's not supposed to hit. Ian did say that. He said it's not supposed to hit and mine is not hitting or it would of broke. Obvious lie.

If I were doing it, I'd hold the dremel such that a sanding drum (probably the larger one) was perpendicular to the bore. That is, with the barrel in its normal horizontal position, the dremel would be straight up and down and just easing that material off. Don't worry about the lower edge of the new cut being sharp, but maybe just break the upper edge of that new cut. Just a little bit of a break radius, do that with a Craytex (rubber) wheel, and follow it up with a little polish on a felt wheel. Done.

Clean up your grinding crud on the barrel before reassembly. Don't forget the bore too. Also, cover your other parts (slide, frame, slide stop etc ) with a cloth to keep grinding crud off them. You don't want to get any of that in the works.

Caveats abound, but really, its a very very quick and easy task.

If nobody else wants the job, I volunteer to the Kahr "mohel" for this part of Florida! Thats how painless it is. It'll cost ya a beer.