Tommy Gun Shop   Crimsontrace   CrossBreed Holsters   Xssights
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: is my follower hitting ramp? update

Quote Originally Posted by takem View Post
    I tested it assembled with a strip of paper. It gets pinched so tight I can't get it out. It is hitting and there's marks on the follower where it hit. I'm being proactive because it's a matter of time for sure. It's not supposed to hit. Ian did say that. He said it's not supposed to hit and mine is not hitting or it would of broke. Obvious lie.
    I would file across the follower where the contact mark is, and not go around the entire front radius as Bang_button pics show in the other thread, as the barrel will never contact the follower there.

That looks to be the weakest/thinnest section of the follower, and I suggest removing as little as possible to get clearance between the barrel/follower.
    Something I'd try before messing with the barrel.
    I apologize if my post contains the same or similar information as someone who has posted before me.

I don't believe that the follower coming into contact with the bottom of the feed ramp is the problem. I believe that the feed ramp slamming into the front of the follower during recoil is what's causing the followers to break. There's an old saying in the gunsmith's book of care and repair. "If it ain't broke don't fix it." Unless you are a certified gunsmith don't start grinding on the barrel. The barrel costs over $100 to replace. You can buy one hell of a lot of plastic followers for the price of a barrel. If you break more than one follower Kahr will rework your barrel for free and you won't have to worry about voiding your warranty.
    Never trust anyone who doesn't trust you to own a gun.

Life Member - NRA
    Colt Gold Cup 70 series
    Colt Woodsman
    Ruger Mark III .22-45
    Kahr CM9
    Kahr P380

Quote Originally Posted by muggsy View Post
    I don't believe that the follower coming into contact with the bottom of the feed ramp is the problem. I believe that the feed ramp slamming into the front of the follower during recoil is what's causing the followers to break. There's an old saying in the gunsmith's book of care and repair. "If it ain't broke don't fix it." Unless you are a certified gunsmith don't start grinding on the barrel. The barrel costs over $100 to replace. You can buy one hell of a lot of plastic followers for the price of a barrel. If you break more than one follower Kahr will rework your barrel for free and you won't have to worry about voiding your warranty.
    I respectfully disagree with that sort of thinking. There are marks where it is slamming into it. It's a known problem. If it does not contact it it will probably not break. If it is hitting it it is much more likely to break. Lots of guns that people on this site own do not contact it and they don't have followers breaking. I'm making a connection. Ian told me it should not contact it it. My gun is not supposed to do this yet it does and they are telling me it has to break twice before it will be fixed. Maybe it won't break but my gun is "defective" and the problem will not be addressed. If there were two guns at the store and one has the follower contacting the feed ramp and the other is not, which one would you purchase? I know your brand loyalty may cloud your judgement on this but I think I've made my point of view very clear and reasonable. Thank you for your input.

Ian isn't a gunsmith. Ian is a service rep. If your gun breaks a second follower Kahr will have a gunsmith repair it and it won't cost you a thing. If you screw up the feed ramp you'll pay for a new barrel and possibly void your warranty. It's your gun and your decision. I won't lose any sleep regardless of what you decide.

Life Member - NRA
    Colt Gold Cup 70 series
    Colt Woodsman
    Ruger Mark III .22-45
    Kahr CM9
    Kahr P380

It looks like what Muggsy is saying is about what ur saying also. It is the feed ramp slamming into the follower, no doubt about it. call it what ever you want but that is what is causing it. One can do two things, IMO. #1 send it back if it does it abain and let kahr mod the feed ramp. #2, u can try moding the front of the follower itself to see if this will giv eu the clearanc eu need. It should be close anyway u look at it, but close is OK, contact is not. I broke one followe rin over 32K rounds, never happened again. I fully trust my gun also. I would not suggest u to do the feed ramp mod, let kahr do it, if that is what u desire. If it was me and ur clearance is as close as u state, then I would try doing the mod to the front of a follower and retest, at the worst u can ruin oly a follower, At the best u can correct it yourself and save alot of down time.

We are just trying to help here also. it is advice only, nuttin more
    . My PM9 has over 40,000+ rounds through it, and runs much better than an illegal trying to get across our border

NRA BENEFACTOR MEMBER

MAY GOD BLESS MUGGSY

Thanks, Jocko. You are much more fluent in the king's English than I. ( Hope Bawanna doesn't throw up a little in his mouth when he reads that last comment.)

Life Member - NRA
    Colt Gold Cup 70 series
    Colt Woodsman
    Ruger Mark III .22-45
    Kahr CM9
    Kahr P380

well this new guy does not know ur a Moran, so I texed him to give him ur resume. You have the qualificatin of a piss ant, by the way. He is now cool with what u say. Yes I am very fluent in the english language to. Most here will attest to that. Just sayin
    . My PM9 has over 40,000+ rounds through it, and runs much better than an illegal trying to get across our border

NRA BENEFACTOR MEMBER

MAY GOD BLESS MUGGSY

problem solved. Went to the gun show today and made a trade. Done. Later

So did you tell 'em your gun was defective?
    NRA Life Member

"Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician." -Col Jeff Cooper