Xssights   Kahr Shop   Magnum Research new   Tommy Gun Shop
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: CM9 versus LC9! I have both.

Quote Originally Posted by gmcjetpilot View Post
    I read through the thread and I also have had both LC9 I bought new and then sold. I then first bought a Glock 26 Gen 4 and then bought a slightly used CM9. I was drawn to the looks and size of the CM9, although the Glock 26 was everything I needed (except being a thicker and heavier than CM9.)

The RUGER LC9 is a fantastic gun, and I would say it is better built than Kahr CM9. Reliability I'd give a slight edge to the LC9 but then again, I now have more trouble free rounds through the CM9 than LC9 when I sold it. This is just my opinion. You just don't hear of owners on Ruger forums complaining about the reliability or build or broken followers. Yes the LC9 trigger is long, stacking and the physical trigger shape is thin and so curved my finger landed on the pointy end of trigger. However Galloway precision makes a TON of LC9 trigger MOD parts for shorter/lighter/smoother trigger, with custom trick billet machined anodized triggers. Galloway was hampered by Ruger not supplying them with OEM trigger bars and trigger hammers to modify, so you had to send them stock parts for them to modify, making it impossible to go back to stock. Ruger would not sell these parts to anyone. That is now resolved. Galloway now makes their own parts outright 100%, which is good, so you can keep your stock parts stock. You need that if you ever have to send the gun to Ruger. If you send a modified gun to Ruger for repair, they will take the modified parts out, replace them, charge you and send it back. I did not want to go down the MOD road. One, it cost money. Why not just buy a gun that is right out the box. I got a Glock 26 and then the Kaher CM9 after the Ruger was sold. Last issue for me, was the small but possible liability of having a MOD "hair trigger" and legal do-do hitting the fan. The LC9 is a fairly long gun both in height and length. It is a very accurate gun and easy to shoot with some practice with the trigger. LC9 is bargain priced. It is a good value.

The CM9 is also a fantastic. Preaching to the choir, it is small gun for a 9mm, in the top 3 or 4 of smallest and lightest 9's. It is priced well but more than the LC9. I think the CM9 is a good looking and well built pistol, with room for some improvement. Stock sights suck compared to LC9's three dot sights, but that is easy to fix. The CM9 has a great trigger as-is stock. Reliability, I won't go there. I can say if I never read these forums, I would say the Kahr CM9 is reliable. I have about 400-450 rounds through my CM9 with no problems, not one. I do feel (just a gut opinion) the LC9 is more reliable and the Glock 26 is more reliable than the LC9, by the way it loads, goes into battery and fires. Cleaning the Kahr CM9 is easy enough, but sometimes I have issues getting the slid off and on, it hangs for some reason. I will take the blame, must be me. The LC9 and G26 both tear down and re-assembled easier. The Glock has the advantage of not having a separate slid pin like the Kahr and Ruger.

A stock Kahr vs. Mod LC9, I'd say the LC9 would be a better gun not withstanding the larger (no way to pocket) size of LC9 (which is what I wanted). The LC9 has 7 round magazine, Kahr 6 rounds, not a deal breaker for me. With the supplied pinky extension for the LC9 magazine, someone with a smaller hand could get all three fingers wrapped around the grip. I find on the hip the longer grip is harder to conceal then the length of the gun. The LC9 did not fill the bill and trigger MOD was out, so I went with CM9. I am glad I did.

If I could only have one gun, CM9 or LC9, it would be the Glock 26 Gen 4. The Glock reliability, short grip of the Glock, capability to hold 10 + 1, better trigger than Kahr, the Glock is a best for me, EXCEPT for being thicker and heavier. When I don't feel like the Glock 26, the Kahr CM9 is what I carry. The LC9 was just not the right fit, with the G26 and CM9 in the line-up. I think I have best of both worlds. BTW I have a Glock 19 magazine with X-sleeve that goes into the Glock 26 for 15 rounds.
    Very good reply but many of the differences will boil down to personal preferences.

You mentioned the sights as being better on the Ruger. I actually prefer the Kahr sights than the small 3 dot sights on the Ruger. I find them to be accurate and very quick to acquire. For me, the Ruger sights take longer to line up as they seem smaller than the Trijicon and Glock night sights I'm used to.

You mentioned price....In my area, I see Kahr CM's on "sale" quite often in the $350-375 range and the LC9's(when they have em) are usually a tad bit more and sell quickly.

I'd like to defend the Kahr on takedown difficulty. I too thought it was difficult, but like everything on a Kahr it ages well, and after being "broke in" my cm9 breaks down smoothly. The "button" on the takedown pin needs a good workout.

Is not the LC9 not stainless????

Big difference if there is..Just sayin

I have zero issues with the lc9, so don't take me wrong. Its a tad heavier,trigger system compared to kahr just sucks for smoothness. Price points for each is to close to debate over. If I couldn't stick a PMJ9 in my pocket, I would look at the lc9

One can certainly google up Ruger lc9 issues and get an ear full of their issues t. Its not just kahrs guys. Ruger has had some issues to, They are a super great company but they are still man made.

My Ruger lcp was in the 50K recall when they first came out with an exact copy of the sh!t gun kel tek made and instead of Ruger designing their own, they just copied the kel tek and had the same issues kel tek had, onlyruger stepped up tothe plate and recalled all 50K of them. I sold it down the road, but after I got it back it was flawless.

It is easy to sit here and pontificate about Rugers etc compared to Kahrs etc, but one should do his homework o both guns and then make his decision.

I like a striker fired gun over a hammer gun, just my 21 cents. Basically the lc9 and the cm9 are totaly different utter than the bullet. Give me stainless over a blued finsih gun any day, when ur gonna possably pocket carry it..Ruger I think would kill to have as smooth a trigger system as kahr has..

I think sometimes most gun owners dont really appreciate the kahrs for what they are. there are today many sub compact 9' outthere and basically noe are as light as the kahrs ad as small. Close on both but still not bragging rights. I will exclude the Rohrbar R9 for size and liteness, it has all utters beat tohell but it is one picky and one pricey S.O.B. to

Sometimes being maybe 3 ounces heavier means alot in producing a gun that is just easier to handle, easier to make 100% reliabe yadda yadda.

I can tellyou my PMJ9 tha tI have had alot of custom work done on it (see jocko's custom PM9) on this forum. ) that loaded with powerball weights 18 ounces. Pretty hard to beat that sh!t IMO, ad the worthless POS has over 32K rounds through it... Just sayin
    . My PM9 has over 40,000+ rounds through it, and runs much better than an illegal trying to get across our border

NRA BENEFACTOR MEMBER

MAY GOD BLESS MUGGSY