Mitch Rosen   Kahr Shop   CrossBreed Holsters   Tommy Gun
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: CM9 versus LC9! I have both.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default CM9 versus LC9! I have both.

I purchased a new CM9 at the gun show on Saturday. I have had a Ruger LC9 for a while but do not shoot it anymore after about 100 rounds. What's going on?
    The Ruger is MUCH better fit and finish and had only one feed issue. But...the trigger is terrible and the safety preventing the gun from firing without the magazine is unacceptable. It's a bit heavier and bigger too compared to the Kahr CM9. The wife could not hit anything with it due to the trigger.
    So... I have been researching the CM9 for a while and based on feedback, did not know what to expect. I cleaned it yesterday with MPRO 7 oil and then racked it 200+ times prior to firing. It was really tight and sticky when cycling. Went to the range today and fired 4 different 115 gr FMJ brands "flawlessly".
    I finished my session with three mags of Speer +P+ rounds. (Noticeably more potent, like a cannon) It would not chamber the first round via slingshot as they say. Maybe now it would with the break in complete. It is noticeably easier and smoother to rack the slide now.
    Other than the mag base pinching my pinky it was very good. It IS difficult to disassemble but shoots great! If Kahr would redesign the mag it would be close to perfect. Note, I am a Glock guy but as we know, Glock is not there yet for a single stack 9mm. (I have a 19 and 26)
    Ruger For Sale!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have a CM9 and the wife has a LC9. She shoots the LC9 very well and likes it. I can shoot it just as well as the CM9 but I really have to concentrate on trigger control. I can accurately shoot the CM9 much faster and personally prefer it myself as well.

FWIW, the magazine disconnect safety can be removed on the LC9.

Thanks. Truth be told I am hoping Glock comes with a single stack 9 that is no larger than the Ruger LC9. Will likely change if it is not too heavy, etc.

Congrats on the CM9. I too bought the LC9 not too long after they hit the shelves. Brought it home and tried to make myself like it. Horrible trigger, and I should have known I wouldn't warm up to the thumb safety or the mag disconnect, not to mention that ridiculous LCI flag on top. Put around 100 rounds through it and sold it. Shortest period of time I ever kept a firearm. I'm not bashing Ruger - I own 7 other models, but they sure made a turd out of something that could have been a nice pistol. My only "micro 9" is a CM9 now and I love it (I don't count the G26 as micro). I can "slingshot" chamber mine every time now after several hundred rounds. If Glock comes out with a single stack 9 I'll probably have one but I don't think my cm9 will go anywhere. ENJOY!

The CM9 IS a pleasant surprise. For a subcompact 9 it is the smallest, lightest one on the market with decent quality. (I do NOT include Kel Tec as a quality pistol. Had a 32cal for one shot once a long time ago. First round jammed in the gun and it took 15 minutes and gunsmith to get it out. Back in the box it went! TRADED!)

I am somewhat flabbergasted that your particular Ruger had a better fit and finish than the Kahr.

The Ruger LC series just aren't that well done.

I would state Kahr is heads and shoulders above the LC series Ruger's.

Obviously, YMMV.

Quote Originally Posted by clayflingythingy View Post
    I am somewhat flabbergasted that your particular Ruger had a better fit and finish than the Kahr.

The Ruger LC series just aren't that well done.

I would state Kahr is heads and shoulders above the LC series Ruger's.

Obviously, YMMV.
    As I stated earlier, my wife has the Ruger LC9 and I have a Kahr CM9 so I can directly compare the two. I personally like and shoot the CM9 better...mainly because of the Kahr trigger. For me it is just a pleasure to shoot.

However, I don't see the Kahr as being head and shoulders above the Ruger. In fact, the Ruger has been more reliable thus far. My Kahr was breaking magazine followers and had to be sent back to the factory because the feed ramp was too long. Meanwhile the little Ruger just keeps banging away.

Quote Originally Posted by Pkersey2 View Post
    The CM9 IS a pleasant surprise. For a subcompact 9 it is the smallest, lightest one on the market with decent quality. (I do NOT include Kel Tec as a quality pistol. Had a 32cal for one shot once a long time ago. First round jammed in the gun and it took 15 minutes and gunsmith to get it out. Back in the box it went! TRADED!)

With all due respect, you can't shoot a gun once and claim it's no good. So far my p3at is more reliable than my cm9.

That said, I like the lighter weight of the Kahr vs the ruger. Plus I think it looks better.

Glad you're happy with your new CM9.

For that pinky pinch issue... All my carries are pinky under the grip up tight against the mag base plate [P3AT, G26, PM9 & XDM 3.8 .45]. Give it a try.
    "I hate quotations. Tell me what you know."
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

I have been doing in depth research over the past 4-5 months in serach of the smallest and slimmest 9mm pistol for summer carry.

My searches even included some of the higher priced pocket 9's, such as the Boberg and Rohrbaugh pistols. Both were high quality and precision made specimens, but for the asking price, there were better options.

Always one for quality, I never thought I'd be looking into a Kahr, but here I am, due to the slim profile, and excellent price of the Kahr CM9. Not to mention attention to detail.

My wife had the Ruger LCP. Never really got attached to it, as it was somewhat too small for the intended purpose, even for her hands.
    I do have the Colt .380 Pocketlite, but for some reason still yearned for a small 9mm.

I also have two Glocks, the 19 and 23, both in Gen4, but I wanted something a little easier to carry when clothing was at a minimum....