Tommy Gun Shop   Tommy Gun   Mitch Rosen   Crimsontrace
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pm 40

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Pm 40

I have had my PM 40 for several years. I really love it's accuracy. I am not averse to recoil and the 40 isn't that bad.

I seem to limp wrist it and the gun doesn't cycle every time. If I hold it like I mean it everything is cool but one in 30 times I get a failure to feed.

I don't carry it because of this issue I think I need a model with a bigger pistol grip.

Any thoughts. Its not the ammo.
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”

― Dalai Lama XIV (as told to high school students.)

If you are sure that's the problem,, I wouldn't worry too much. Chances are you will hold on like he!! if you are ever in a defensive situation.

Otherwise there's always the P40. And you'd probably feel that a K40 shoots like butter. And if you want to keep the same size, try an MK40. All good options. Good guns.
    ​O|||||||O

Love my CW40. You can get 3 fingers on the grip. I have had zero problems of any type with it. Highly recommend it.

Quote Originally Posted by 100percent View Post
    When I first started shooting my PM40, after owning a 100% reliable CW40 for several months, the PM40 didn't seem quite as reliable feeding some ammo. Ammo with really light bullets, like 135 grain Ranger JHP worked every time, even if I gripped the gun lightly. 180 grain Rangers JHP would only feed reliably for the first couple of rounds. Really hot stuff, like Double Tap, was a real problem unless I hung on tight, like you.

No worries! I loaded two 180 grain Ranger JHP rounds on top of the lighter 135 rangers for carry purposes and got on with life. The gun never had any issues, even during "run and gun" style BUG matches.

That was more than a thousand rounds ago, maybe two thousand. I don't really keep track. More recently, after the wear from the additional rounds, you can't make that pistol fail with a full magazine of 180 grain anything, including Ranger JHP, unless you really work at trying to induce a failure by barely gripping the gun.

Yeah, I am a very happy camper.

Please allow me to suggest that you find some ammo with lighter bullets that you can afford to shoot a lot. After several hundred rounds or maybe a thousand, revisit your planned carry load. If your experience is anything like mine, I think you will be very happy.

Best of luck, sir!

It would be so nice if something made sense for a change.
    -- Alice in Lewis Carroll's Alice's Adventures in Wonderland

Default no

Quote Originally Posted by 100percent View Post
    I have had my PM 40 for several years. I really love it's accuracy. I am not averse to recoil and the 40 isn't that bad.

I seem to limp wrist it and the gun doesn't cycle every time. If I hold it like I mean it everything is cool but one in 30 times I get a failure to feed.

I don't carry it because of this issue I think I need a model with a bigger pistol grip.

doubt the PM40 is a hand cannon, lot of issues come from that recoil. We have more comments about recoil in the 40 cal kahrs than any utter claiber. There is a reason for that IMO...

a 100 rounds at a range session for a PM40 is a real trial for many. a 100 rounds in a PMJ9 is just a breeze as the first and last round feels the same.

Keep ur sessions shorter and see how that works. like 50 or less rounds. Put some snap caps in with some live rounds and let someone load them for you and it will show mayse some shooting errors that you ever see because ur in the anticiaption mode of the gun going BANG. Snap caps done this way will sure show shooting errors to..

This might not hjelp but it willcertainly not hurt either. Ur PM40 has the same 18# recoil spring as the PM9 and that always baffled me as the 40 is just alot hotter round. Wollfs offers a 20.5# recoi8l spring for the PM9/PM40. buy just the outter spring that is all that is needed. That spring will fit either the new or older style kahr slides to so u can't go worng in ordering it.. It might help take the gun a tad to. If I owned that PM40-, I would magna port it and really enjoy shooting it more
    . My PM9 has over 40,000+ rounds through it, and runs much better than an illegal trying to get across our border

NRA BENEFACTOR MEMBER

MAY GOD BLESS MUGGSY

Thanks Shooters,
    My gun is an older model. I bought it used. It is in really nice shape solid black.

So a heavier recoil spring would/might make it more reliable.

I usually shoot 180 grain in it. Hand loads.
    When I first got it my rounds did great in a glock. I found that the chamber on the Kahr was a lot tighter. A lot of rounds wouldn't chamber. Kind of complicated things. I made some adjustments in the loading process and due a drop test on every round. Ones that don't pass get digested by the Glock.

I get the same issues on various factory rounds.

I am going to look into the earlier version of the recoil springs from wolff.
    thanks.
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”

I'm getting ready to change the recoil springs on my pm40. Has anyone else dissassembled and changed the inner recoil spring on a kahr?

IMO I would not mess with that inner spring. Just change the outter spring as u see fit, . I have over 32K out of my PMJ9 and I have never touched that inner spring. If it ain't broke don't fix it. works for me. Just sayin
    . My PM9 has over 40,000+ rounds through it, and runs much better than an illegal trying to get across our border

NRA BENEFACTOR MEMBER

MAY GOD BLESS MUGGSY

Thanks Jock
    btw, should the open end of the outer spring go against the keeper or against the slide?

Upstate NY - (nothing like NYC). In remote country with thousands of acres of hunting.

Check out the vid in the post "Why some Kahr owners have issues" in this section. There is a vid that explains your problem. Problem can present its ugly head with any light weight sub compact gun. Additionally....For sure, over shooting can contribute to your problem with limp wrist. You seem to know what is causing the problem, so, simply cut back on the number or rounds at each range session. Train with it more and concentrate on the limp wrist more, until your problem goes away. As far as being a reliable SD gun, b4ugzme is right....

Changing the spring or porting it won't correct your limp wrist, but you can do those things if they make you feel good....nothing wrong with the suggestions. You already seem to know it is how you are holding your gun.
    My Sword - PM4044N/CTL/Talons
    - "One should diligently train at all times." Miyamoto Musashi
    - "Train in technique until it requires no thought - no mind and just happens." Takan Soho
    - "The truth beyond the technique....Here's where we stop thinking and start shooting." Brian Enos
    - "A single sword against the cold sky." Yamaoka Tesshu
    - "You must concentrate upon and consecrate yourself wholly to each day, as though a fire were raging in your hair."
    Taisen Deshimaru
    - "Know your sword!"