Magnum Research new   Mitch Rosen   Xssights   Kahr Shop
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: .380 My Lazy Gun

Default Update

I guess I haven't been lazy in a long while. This little beauty has been in my safe for months. It's still my favorite .380 but it weighs about 14oz and my PM9 weighs......about 14oz.

I'll keep it handy tho in case I regress. It's better in the pocket. I just rarely pocket carry...
    ​O|||||||O

I've only owned 2 .380's myself. I had a BG .380.............trigger was just ok, sights were useless. If there ever was a firearm for 10 ft. and under, that was it. Over 10 ft. you could throw it at them. Sure fit in a pocket nicely. Sayonara.......................Had a Beretta 84FS. Nice firearm.........used it to qualify for my CCL. It was one of those tweeners........not a range gun, and too large to carry. Might as well carry something full size or compact, with more firepower. Sayonara. After owning and shooting both, it gave me a bit more appreciation for the .380 caliber. I still like carrying my MK. More firepower, and weight, for less recoil. Still, I wouldn't want to be shot by one!!!!!

I own only one pocket pistol, and that is a LCP. I carry it a lot, but shoot it only about 100 rounds a year. It has about 250 rounds through it now, but still runs fine.

This has become a cliché, but it is nonetheless still true. A .380 in your pocket beats a .45 still sitting in your safe. It's not laziness, it's the reality that some of us can't easily go about our daily business with a full-size 1911 or even a small 9mm on our hip. I am required to adhere to a dress code daily, with a tucked-in polo shirt and casual slacks. People brush against me all the time. My defense gun has to go inside my front pocket, and a pocket nine creates too much of a bulge especially when I sit down. Naturally I'm still wearing the same clothes in the evening before I get home, so when I stop by the grocery store or gas station on the way home I'm still armed the same way as I was during the day. On weekends of course I can dress however I want and be able to conceal a larger weapon. But five days a week a little .380 is on me instead. No it's not my preferred weapon for engaging in mortal combat, but it's either that or no gun at all. Given the choice I'll take the .380!

I had an MDE, bought it NOS from a store online. I liked it fine, cycled most bullets but hated junk BrassMaxx. I got the extended mag for it with the finger grip, to improve purchase on the handle. Had my eyes on a sweet set of grips from Tillander for it that mimicked these super sweet mahogany grips made in Czech...that take 14 weeks to deliver at just under $90..

I found that putting tension on the pinky extension when shooting, disengaged the magazine from the gun. I'm no expert but I've heard this can be detrimental to staying alive in a conflict..

I couldn't duplicate my experience with the standard mag but it spooked me enough to reconsider owning the gun. A week later, it was on GB and sold. I picked up a NAA Guardian .380 to take it's place.. which reignited my all-steel fascination..

I now know why Kahr stopped 'production' of these guns when they took over the company. They're nice little guns for the most part but nowhere near the build quality of the other family members. Look up the ZVI "KEVIN" gun and you will find more info about them and a precautionary tale of woe for small arms manufacturers.

Where's my MK380?

My only .380 is a Stainless Ruger LCP.
    It has pretty much replaced my trusty J-Frame airweight as a BUG.
    My dump in the pocket and do the laundry?
    Or grab something from the grocery store?

Continues to be a Ruger LC9s Pro 9mm

Quote Originally Posted by dsk View Post
    This has become a cliché, but it is nonetheless still true. A .380 in your pocket beats a .45 still sitting in your safe. It's not laziness, it's the reality that some of us can't easily go about our daily business with a full-size 1911 or even a small 9mm on our hip. I am required to adhere to a dress code daily, with a tucked-in polo shirt and casual slacks. People brush against me all the time. My defense gun has to go inside my front pocket, and a pocket nine creates too much of a bulge especially when I sit down. Naturally I'm still wearing the same clothes in the evening before I get home, so when I stop by the grocery store or gas station on the way home I'm still armed the same way as I was during the day. On weekends of course I can dress however I want and be able to conceal a larger weapon. But five days a week a little .380 is on me instead. No it's not my preferred weapon for engaging in mortal combat, but it's either that or no gun at all. Given the choice I'll take the .380!
    Agree, my work dress 'business casual' wont enable me to carry IWB. An ankle holster works, but is only comfortable with my LCP

Quote Originally Posted by Barth View Post
    My only .380 is a Stainless Ruger LCP.
    It has pretty much replaced my trusty J-Frame airweight as a BUG.
    My dump in the pocket and do the laundry?
    Or grab something from the grocery store?

Continues to be a Ruger LC9s Pro 9mm
    Barth - how did the Airweight compare to the LCP? as far as shootablility. Curious, as I was tempted to buying a wheel gun, but I just didnt feel comfortable with one. I really like the LCP and for the cost, IMO cant be beat. Ive had zero issues since taking it out of the box.

Quote Originally Posted by robistro View Post
    Agree, my work dress 'business casual' wont enable me to carry IWB. An ankle holster works, but is only comfortable with my LCP

Barth - how did the Airweight compare to the LCP? as far as shootablility. Curious, as I was tempted to buying a wheel gun, but I just didnt feel comfortable with one. I really like the LCP and for the cost, IMO cant be beat. Ive had zero issues since taking it out of the box.
    My first gun was a revolver.
    Own four and can shoot DA pretty well.
    I am comfortable with them.
    Can shoot both the Airweight and LCP well.
    But the LCP is more pleasurable to shoot for me.
    Prefer 38 +P to .380 for carry.
    But the LCP fits in pockets the J-Frame will not.
    Also, in all fairness, my J-Frame is a titanium pre-lock with a trigger job.

I have a LCP, 2 j-frames, and a cm9. I carry the j-frame or cm9 mostly but nothing carries like the lcp. And what Barth said matches my experience also.
    The only thing better than having all the guns and ammo you'd ever need would be being able to shoot it all off the back porch.

Want to see what will be the end of our country as we know it???
    Visit here:
    http://www.usdebtclock.org/

Thumbs up

^^^ Yep. I like carrying my J-frame and shoot it pretty well at up close and personal distance. But it doesn't pocket carry well for me either. Just a little too large. To me pocket carry is where a flat semi auto shines. But I like the Airweight just fine on the belt.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    ​O|||||||O