Crimsontrace   CrossBreed Holsters   Kahr Shop   Magnum Research new
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Powder charge keeps changing

Default Powder charge keeps changing

Have any of you noticed this. So yesterday I was reloading 45 on my Dillon press got the powder bar adjusted for the grains I wanted to drop, good to go ran 10 round checked the powder and good check it around 30 still good one final check at 50 and then I ran 200 one more check still good, OK time for a little break went back to the press 30 minutes later just out of habit I check the first round and it was like 4/10 ths heavy now wait a minute it was good thru the first run what’s up with this now I have been using this press for over 20 years and I have seen this before but not till today did I figure it out but by running a few more round thru it the power charge came back where it should be. I think what is happening is from the powder sitting in the hopper it compresses in the charge bar giving a heavy first load after sitting for awhile. So this is what I think any body think I’m right on this? I think I may be right on this, as I said I have seen this in the past and always puzzled me so after 20 years on this press the light in my head finally came on , it not a big deal just cycle the press a few times dumping the powder back in the hopper and it settles out and back to running
    Rest in peace old sailor Mike
    In Memory of Mom: Standing 4'11" She would say come here so I can hit you as I looked down at her
    As my Olde buddy Jake said point at the belt buckle and muzzle rise will take care of the rest
    Live a little learn a lot

Maybe you need a baffle plate to keep the powder drop uniform. Some guys poo-pooed that, but I used measures with the baffle near the bottom to keep the apparent column of powder uniformly low.

I've seen internet posts on making your own out of an aluminum can.

Wynn
    USAF Retired '88, NRA Life Member. Wife USAF Retired '96
    Avatar: Wynn re-enlists his wife Desiree, circa 1988 Loring AFB, ME. 42nd BMW, Heavy (SAC) B-52G's
    Frédéric Bastiat’s essay, The Law: http://mises.org/books/thelaw.pdf

Thomas Jefferson said

“A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.”
    and

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

Hey wyntrout it does have a baffle in it already got this image from the dillon site if you look at it careful you will see it
    Attached Images Attached Images
    In Memory of Mom: Standing 4'11" She would say come here so I can hit you as I looked down at her
    As my Olde buddy Jake said point at the belt buckle and muzzle rise will take care of the rest

I have to agree with your theory. I have a powder measure with a baffle and one without. I don't notice any great difference. I'm pretty meticulous about keep the level consistent, don't let it get too low or fill it above a certain point.

I've experienced the same thing in the past in even less time and found myself messing with the adjustment. I think your right.

I also think the powder would make a big difference in this regard, some of the finer powders probably more susceptible than some of the extruded pencil lead powders.

I still check the powder charge frequently. Never more than 20 or 25 and generally more often than that. Not worth the risk.
    I have a dental mirror attached to my press where I can visually see down in the case on my progressive to confirm there is indeed powder and the level looks consistent.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Settling in the cavity while you were away. Some rifle loaders go by volumeteic consistancy vs weight.... and theyre bench rest types

what type of scale are you using?

It's not gun control that we need, it's soul control!

I have 3 scale in the shop 505 Ohaus and a Dillon scale(which is Ohaus) and a Lee safety powder scale the charge weighs the same on all 3 scales They are all beam scales

Temperature and humidity will change your weight also. Leaving it could have given time to change from these factors. I always fill my powder dispenser and wait about 30 minutes to start measuring/loading.

I dunno, I'm baffled by this phenomenon.
    Never trust anyone who doesn't trust you to own a gun.

Life Member - NRA
    Colt Gold Cup 70 series
    Colt Woodsman
    Ruger Mark III .22-45
    Kahr CM9
    Kahr P380

Quote Originally Posted by Bawanna View Post
    I have to agree with your theory. I have a powder measure with a baffle and one without. I don't notice any great difference. I'm pretty meticulous about keep the level consistent, don't let it get too low or fill it above a certain point.

I've experienced the same thing in the past in even less time and found myself messing with the adjustment. I think your right.

I also think the powder would make a big difference in this regard, some of the finer powders probably more susceptible than some of the extruded pencil lead powders.

I still check the powder charge frequently. Never more than 20 or 25 and generally more often than that. Not worth the risk.
    I have a dental mirror attached to my press where I can visually see down in the case on my progressive to confirm there is indeed powder and the level looks consistent.
    That is consistent with our experiences.
    This was something learned by trial and error.

We don't go beyond 10 rounds before checking, but that's because we are relatively new to reloading.