CrossBreed Holsters   Xssights   Kahr Shop   Mitch Rosen
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Holster Decisions & Questions

Somewhere on the internet (so it must be true) I read that the whole concealed carry movement has been perpetrated by holster makers so that they could increase their revenue stream. From what I've read so far above, it apparently is true.

P.S. Kydex will absolutely, positively, without question, scratch your gun. So don't buy it if you're ocd about having a pristine looking gun.

Quote Originally Posted by kwh View Post
    Agree. CM9 is my EDC in pocket carry. Always go back to that after going through my box of holsters. Quick cheap comfortable conceable & easiest draw for me. Only problem is when driving with seat belt on. Am considering an ankle holster for that.
    I take it out and put it in front of me in the console, for easy retrieval, if needed.

Quote Originally Posted by RevRay View Post
    P.S. Kydex will absolutely, positively, without question, scratch your gun. So don't buy it if you're ocd about having a pristine looking gun.
    That has not been my experience, Rev. It really hasn't. I suppose it depends on the quality of the finish on the firearm. MY EDC (not Kahr) has been in-and-out of a Kydex holster 1000s of times and it shows no wear.
    NRA Life Member

"Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician." -Col Jeff Cooper

In pistols like Kahrs and Glocks I believe the bearing surface on a Kydex holster is the polymer frame, so there really isn't any scratching per se. I think it is more evidend in old blued guns with metal receivers.
    Draw me not without provocation, sheath me not without honor.

Default Holster Decisions & Questions

I have a leather Kydex hybrid by Kohlster.

It isn't as big as you think. The further the clips are the sturdier it is.
    It's very comfortable.

Now I did make my own full Kydex OWB pancake style holster.

I used .060
    The thickness does not affect comfortability that much.
    Kydex will not scuff a Kahr. The stainless is a really hard. Mine shows zero wear. I've made Kydex holsters for several guns and the only one that shows wear is my buddy GI 1911. But that's because it's blued.

Quote Originally Posted by berettabone View Post
    I take it out and put it in front of me in the console, for easy retrieval, if needed.
    I am not always the one driving and also I do not like the idea of my carry pistol loose in the car and not being attached to my person in one way or another.

Thanks for the comments. I thought my post would kick start a lot of discussion on all the variations to choose from, but didn't get as much as I hoped. There were some statements/questions made that should have worked. I even asked some very specific questions that no one touched. For instance, I heard nothing about the clips. Guess I did a poor job of stirring the pot.

Quote Originally Posted by Baklash View Post
    Thanks for the comments. I thought my post would kick start a lot of discussion on all the variations to choose from, but didn't get as much as I hoped. There were some statements/questions made that should have worked. I even asked some very specific questions that no one touched. For instance, I heard nothing about the clips. Guess I did a poor job of stirring the pot.
    Did not address this directly in my first post but check with nelsonholsters.com. will answer questions about clips .

I have tried a few iwb holster and then I bought the Kydex/leather from comp-tac minotaur neutral 4 years ago. I wear it just infront of ,my right front pocket and I had no use for the extra leather at the bottom so I trimmed it off and canted it to the rear. Bought for the cw9 but have since change to the larger tp40 a year ago. They are tension adjustable and very adjustable for height and angle. These belt hooks hold up very well and are not noticeable like most snap types or metal hooks.

hardluk1, do you have to thread the belt thru those clips, or will the belt snap in place?
    BTW, thanks for the photos. I like your mod. It looks like a very good unit.