Crimsontrace   Xssights   Tommy Gun Shop   CrossBreed Holsters

Thread: Is the P9 better than...

Talking Is the P9 better than...

a CW9?

I already have a CW9. I have an opportunity to acquire a P9 for $375 which is an hour away one way. Is the P9 that much better of a pistol for the hassle of travel and time to replace the CW9? And keeping both is not an option.

Thanks.

And the P9 supposedly only has had 50 rounds through it.

All you are really getting are: a polygonal barrel, 2? extra magazines* and a dovetail front sight. The rest of the differences are just cosmetic. I guess it depends on how much those are worth to you.

Sounds like a good deal/price. Retail on a P9 is $739 on the Kahr Website.

*I just checked the website and it lists the P9 coming with three 7rd magazines. So depending on how old your example is, it may come with only two.
    ​O|||||||O

For $375, I would probably buy it. You could try it out next to your CW9 and sell the one you like the least. Or you could just re-sell the P9 for a profit.

Sounds like a deal worth looking into. One hour one way could simply be a nice drive with a silver lining. I'd look into it if time permitted.

The price sounds OK on the P9. If you can't keep both, then perhaps your decision rests on what you get back on the CW.

Blindfolded and shooting them side by side, you probably could not tell the difference. I opt for the P over the C because I like polygonal barrels, blackened slides and the wider selection of sights.
    Judging by today's left wing, looks like Senator Joe McCarthy was right after all.

I bought one of each, new, and side-by-side they shoot the same. Furthermore, they look the same at a glance. I think the decision, if it were me evaluating the deal, would hinge on how much benefit the extra P9 features provide.

To me, the nicer barrel doesn't add anything for SD shooting. The more refined slide machining adds nothing for SD. Only the nicer sight system adds real value, and my CW9 sights are just fine. Thus, there isn't enough extra value to justify the cost of a 200 mile trip (200x$.50=$100).

I bought the P9 thinking it came with a manual safety, but the one my LGS ordered wasn't equipped with the safety. When the pistol arrived, I was too weak to say 'no, I don't want it'.

With hindsight, I wouldn't buy a P9. There isn't enough extra beef to justify the price. I think that evaluation holds true for a used gun purchase, too. If I wanted another Kahr, I would buy a second CW9 or a pocket pistol.

I'd go for the deal. You'd be getting a gun worth nearly twice the price for half as much. If your only looking for a down and dirty carry gun stick with what you have.
    Never trust anyone who doesn't trust you to own a gun.

Life Member - NRA
    Colt Gold Cup 70 series
    Colt Woodsman
    Ruger Mark III .22-45
    Kahr CM9
    Kahr P380

I have a P9 and prefer the "full-featured" P/PM pistols, but if you're satisfied with the CW9, I wouldn't spend the money on gas to get the P9, even though that sounds like a good deal.

I DO like my P9 DLC with Novak-type night sights and I added a Kahr ported barrel because they were on sale... just in case I could get my wife to use it. But, I'm ready to resume carrying my P40 as my main EDC.

Wynn
    USAF Retired '88, NRA Life Member. Wife USAF Retired '96
    Avatar: Wynn re-enlists his wife Desiree, circa 1988 Loring AFB, ME. 42nd BMW, Heavy (SAC) B-52G's
    Frédéric Bastiat’s essay, The Law: http://mises.org/books/thelaw.pdf

Thomas Jefferson said

“A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.”
    and

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".