Xssights   Kahr Shop   Magnum Research new   Crimsontrace
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: .380 Carry Ammo Test

Yeah, I live in the real world. Carrying FMJ can be defended, your statements cannot.

Quote Originally Posted by WMac19 View Post
    Yeah, I live in the real world. Carrying FMJ can be defended, your statements cannot.
    That's your opinion and you are welcome to it.
    Never trust anyone who doesn't trust you to own a gun.

Life Member - NRA
    Colt Gold Cup 70 series
    Colt Woodsman
    Ruger Mark III .22-45
    Kahr CM9
    Kahr P380

There are some decent 380 loads as the YouTube series showed. They meet the specs and I don't need to take the chance of over penetrate by FMJ

just 'bout the action boss...

Life Member - NRA
    Colt Gold Cup 70 series
    Colt Woodsman
    Ruger Mark III .22-45
    Kahr CM9
    Kahr P380

Understanding ballistic gel tests.

http://www.thebangswitch.com/underst...allistics-gel/

Life Member - NRA
    Colt Gold Cup 70 series
    Colt Woodsman
    Ruger Mark III .22-45
    Kahr CM9
    Kahr P380

Quote Originally Posted by happypuppy View Post
    There are some decent 380 loads as the YouTube series showed. They meet the specs and I don't need to take the chance of over penetrate by FMJ

just 'bout the action boss...
    You might want to read the post on understanding ballistic gel tests. It might just change your mind. Twelve inches of penetration is the minimum recommended with 18" being considered ideal. You may not get 12" of penetration if the bullet strikes bone. I'm not a ballistics expert and never claimed to be one, but if there is going to be a margin of error I want that error to be on my side. There are no second place winners in a gun fight.

Life Member - NRA
    Colt Gold Cup 70 series
    Colt Woodsman
    Ruger Mark III .22-45
    Kahr CM9
    Kahr P380

Civility check boys and girls. I haven't been looking at this thread as I don't have a 380. Dereliction of duty on my part.

Both sides have made their case, lets move on.

Any more ugly we pull the plug and drain the bath tub and no more rubber ducky, your the one, you make bath time so much fun.

Get the idea?
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Allow me to make one thing perfectly clear. I meant to offend no one. I simply presented the facts as I see them. The facts are there for anyone to evaluate, accept, or reject. I don't want to shoot anyone, either by accident, or on purpose. All that I am saying is that I intend to defend myself in the best possible manner if assaulted. Everyone is free to conduct themselves as they see fit. I'm not your judge.

Life Member - NRA
    Colt Gold Cup 70 series
    Colt Woodsman
    Ruger Mark III .22-45
    Kahr CM9
    Kahr P380

There must be more Glock owners visiting...............people are just so sensitive these days. If you want to shoot taconite pellets through your gun, so be it. If someone is going to harm me, I certainly won't be thinking about underpenetration, overpenetration, only one thing will be on my mind. If you think that FMJ ammo ALWAYS stays in the body, check it out.

Didn't mean to start no chit here I just thought the video was interesting in that most of the ammo I would have picked didn't meet the penetration test....I currently don't have a .380 but have owned several in the past and may again in the future....I have done some backyard tests using wet newspaper and several .380 loads from an LCP and I was impressed with how all of them performed and would definitely not want to stand in front of one...

Lets face it, all handgun ammo is underpowered and marginal at best when dealing with a large predator who may be hyped up on meth or under an adrenaline rush and even if shot multiple times and mortally wounded may still run a great distance before bleeding out and falling over unconscious....Even a direct head shot may not instantly stop a person and the only instant stop is a shot to the spinal cord which severs it and stops muscle movement below the break....

In a .380 the best load may be a couple of modern hollow points that will reliably feed with a FMJ or two between them....A .380 is a decent load and gets a lot of bad rep as being a pip squeak pea shooter but from bad breth distance a couple of .380 rounds to the chest or face should get the BG to reconsider what they were doing and give you time to get away and call 911...Carring a .380 for CCW is a choice many make and it's a good one because they WILL carry something small every day and have it when God Forbid they need it.....Like they say, a .380 in the pocket beats a .44 a home in the drawer every time....