Xssights   Kahr Shop   Mitch Rosen   Tommy Gun Shop
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Kahr's in competition

Upstate NY - (nothing like NYC). In remote country with thousands of acres of hunting.

Default Idpa

I am currently getting geared up and looking forward to shooting IDPA in 2011 with the sword I carry daily. I have a few odds and ends to gather but have a good holster (Gould and Goodrich), extra mags and mag pouches. I attended a local event to observe and it looks like mostly Glocks are being used. It will be interesting to see how I do with my PM40. My purpose is to practice with what I use and if for nothing else, it will be great gun handling practice and ALL fun.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    My Sword - PM4044N/CTL/Talons
    - "One should diligently train at all times." Miyamoto Musashi
    - "Train in technique until it requires no thought - no mind and just happens." Takan Soho
    - "The truth beyond the technique....Here's where we stop thinking and start shooting." Brian Enos
    - "A single sword against the cold sky." Yamaoka Tesshu
    - "You must concentrate upon and consecrate yourself wholly to each day, as though a fire were raging in your hair."
    Taisen Deshimaru
    - "Know your sword!"

Is there any reason not to use a compact Kahr for regular (SSP) shooting in IDPA? I know the mag capacity is a disadvantage compared to a double-stack Glock, but your basic 1911 has the same mag capacity as a K9 or P9.

Niever did any of that,, no course around here that I even know of, but WHY NOT. If one goes into these shoots with the right attitude to just enjoy the shoot and learn from it WHY NOT. I would feel if ur intentions are to win or place high, more than likely there are better guns that will do it better to. If my PM9 is my carry gun 24/7 which it is, then I would use it even if I came in last , which more than likely I would anyhow..

Exactly, the purpose of IDPA is to get good at defensive shooting, so why use anything other than your EDC?

Upstate NY - (nothing like NYC). In remote country with thousands of acres of hunting.

I agree with you guys on the IDPA purpose issue and that is why I am going to participate. However, those that do it get competitive and start to push the envelope to win. The game changes when the focus is on winning. Our ego gets in the way and we blame the limits of the gun, instead of blaming ourselves for being limited. It seems to me that the end result is that gun handling and gun control gets improved either way. It may be that we learn more by making a change in the hardware, which allows us to go back and determine what was wrong with our shooting rather than the gun we felt was limited. I think it is all about learning, improving, fun.... and the competition is a big part of all that. I will be new to the game, but I hope to enjoy it, compete, learn and really improve my shooting and gun handling skills in various defensive scenarios. I'll go into it with an fresh and open mind. Who knows, maybe I'll end up with a Glock 35 before it is all over. But for now, my PM40 will be the sword I carry and train with. It should be fun.
    - "Train in technique until it requires no thought - no mind and just happens." Takan Soho
    - "The truth beyond the technique....Here's where we stop thinking and start shooting." Brian Enos
    - "You must concentrate upon and consecrate yourself wholly to each day, as though a fire were raging in your hair."
    Taisen Deshimaru
    - "Know your sword!"

At some of the local matches here they still limit you to 10 rounds, so a kahr 9mm with 8 round mag isn't at quite as bad of a disadvantage. Just because someone uses glock 17 doesn't mean they get to start with 18 rounds. If that were the case use the 33 round mag and whip on everybody.

With my PM40, I have four 6 round mags. I am told that some stations require up to 18 rounds. You must start with one in the pipe and a full mag. This will require two mag drops at those 18 round stations. This should immediately train me to be proficient at dropping and replacing fresh mags. Good training. It will also show me the disadvantage of fewer rounds in the mag. That is all part of the purpose of the game, so I will just deal with it and try to make up time...or not, haha.
    Taisen Deshimaru
    - "Know your sword!"

IDPA rules only allow you to have a fully loaded gun and 2 spare mags on your belt. So if you have misses, it will be tough compared to shooters running 10 round mags.

What's a "bug match"

The .40 equivalent is only 7 rounds, but that's my favorite for the range and spare carry for reloads... the 7-round extended... for my ported P40. I have to decide on some night sights so I can carry that at night! I've been "forced" to carry my PM45 with 5+1+7.

Wynn
    USAF Retired '88, NRA Life Member. Wife USAF Retired '96
    Avatar: Wynn re-enlists his wife Desiree, circa 1988 Loring AFB, ME. 42nd BMW, Heavy (SAC) B-52G's
    Frédéric Bastiat’s essay, The Law: http://mises.org/books/thelaw.pdf

Thomas Jefferson said

“A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.”
    and

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".