Kahr Shop   CrossBreed Holsters   Crimsontrace   Xssights

Thread: P9 mag release button rusting

Default P9 mag release button rusting

Hi everyone,

I have a Kahr P9 with the DB Coating. I keep it well lubricated on the surface. It is a brand new gun. I wore it this past weekend in a pancake holster at a four o'clock position on my right side underneath a t-shirt in the heat. The holster is a High Noon Holster with a slide guard/sweat shield that kept the slide off of my body, but it doesn't prevent the magazine release button from resting against my body. After a day in the heat, I noticed the button had started to rust. I used a toothbrush and some oil and removed the rust, but now every time I take my gun off at the end of the day the mag release button starts to rust again. Any ideas on how I can either protect the button or prevent the rust? An undershirt between the gun and my body isn't an option in this heat.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ORSalesRep View Post
    Hi everyone,

I have a Kahr P9 with the DB Coating. I keep it well lubricated on the surface. It is a brand new gun. I wore it this past weekend in a pancake holster at a four o'clock position on my right side underneath a t-shirt in the heat. The holster is a High Noon Holster with a slide guard/sweat shield that kept the slide off of my body, but it doesn't prevent the magazine release button from resting against my body. After a day in the heat, I noticed the button had started to rust. I used a toothbrush and some oil and removed the rust, but now every time I take my gun off at the end of the day the mag release button starts to rust again. Any ideas on how I can either protect the button or prevent the rust? An undershirt between the gun and my body isn't an option in this heat.

Thanks
    This is probably about the only time one of the old plastic mag release buttons would be a good thing and I'm not certain the P9 ever was plastic. It's a tough deal because most efforts to protect that button would put pressure on it and could cause unwanted mag release. You need to seal that thing up tight somehow, better finish? Hmm. I've even degreased and used regular automotive paste wax on parts that were more suceptible to rust with mixed success. I'm not optomistic that would be enough in your situation. Any chance of adding a piece of material to get between you and the button that would be rigid enough not to actually push on it?
    I'm gonna go look at holsters now. Thinking cap in place, not much to attach it too but we'll do the best we can.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

You might try a very light coating of "Rig" grease where the rust is forming. I've had very good luck, for 35 + years, preventing rust due to fingerprints by coating blued surfaces with it.
    There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness".

I have the same problem with my P45, I sweat through my holster. I use Hoppes oil, and put a little WD 40 in my holster. Since yours is exposed there, you could put a very light epoxy type coating on the release, or go to the fabric store, and buy some duck canvas to extend the sweat guard. Leather is pretty easy to work when you moisten it. Tandy Leather Factory should also be able to help if you wanted leather.
    Attitude: it takes 43 muscles to frown, 17 to smile...and 3 for proper trigger squeeze.

The olive branch is considered a symbol of peace, and good will. Last time I checked, it's still a switch.

You may want to try som Eezox on the part, and others for that matter. It dries but still leaves a very effective rust inhibiting coating. It's a good producr.
    Eezox premium synthetic lubricants from Warren Custom Outdoor Products
    Judging by today's left wing, looks like Senator Joe McCarthy was right after all.

My P9 Has a plastic mag release button I have never seen one with a metal mag release button.

Quote Originally Posted by P-9 View Post
    My P9 Has a plastic mag release button I have never seen one with a metal mag release button.
    They all early on were plastic, at some point they switched to metal. Jocko probably knows the details. There apparently were wear issues that instigated the change. If it works I would not give it another thought.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."