Tommy Gun   Magnum Research new   Mitch Rosen   Crimsontrace

Thread: Sig batfe letter

Default Sig batfe letter

Does anyone know what this is about ?

http://www.scribd.com/doc/216207869/SIG-BATFE-LETTER

SIG was selling an "arm brace" that you could attach to an AR-15 pistol. It looked amazingly like an SBR stock but it is not. Basically the BATFE said that an item will be judged based up what it was designed to do and function and not how a shooter shoots the gun.

For instance on my AR-15 pistol I have an enlarged foam end cap so I can shoulder the weapon. The foam cap is not a stock but the fact I shoot it that way does not make it illegal. Basically if a shooter is wiley enough to use something legal to turn a pistol into an SBR the BATFE is okay with it.
    Last edited by Longitude Zero; 04-05-2014 at 09:32 AM.
    Wake Up...Grow Up...Show Up...Sit Up...Shut Up...Listen Up

It would not be hard to imagine someone using this "brace" as a stock.

Apparently, ATF is going to ignore that possibility. Go figure.
    It would be so nice if something made sense for a change.
    -- Alice in Lewis Carroll's Alice's Adventures in Wonderland

Their going to ignore it THIS week, but what about next week? They change their minds more often than a woman changes shoes.
    Tom
    Live today, tomorrow may not come!
    Boberg XR9S
    Kahr CW40
    Springfield Armory 1911
    Dan Wesson Revolver

HY*NDAI is to cars, what Caracal, Hi-Point, and Jennings is to handguns. The cars may or may not run ok, but the corporation SUCKS.

There has been lots of speculation in gun forums about the ATF classifying an AR-15 pistol as a Short Barreled Rifle, if shouldered or if a padded buffer tube is pressed against the cheek.

Good for Sgt. Bradley for attacking this question head-on and directing it to the ATF.
    NRA Life Member

"Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician." -Col Jeff Cooper

Quote Originally Posted by TheTman View Post
    Their going to ignore it THIS week, but what about next week? They change their minds more often than a woman changes shoes.

Actually not really. Once they issue a letter they stick to it. It comes down to they don't like gong back on rulings as they hate to admit they were wrong/mistaken.
    Wake Up...Grow Up...Show Up...Sit Up...Shut Up...Listen Up

Quote Originally Posted by RRP View Post
    There has been lots of speculation in gun forums about the ATF classifying an AR-15 pistol as a Short Barreled Rifle, if shouldered or if a padded buffer tube is pressed against the cheek.

Good for Sgt. Bradley for attacking this question head-on and directing it to the ATF.
    I'd hate to see this right taken away, but IMHO there's nothing that make some pistol ARs attractive.
    My son had one in .223. after we fired 10 rnds we quit. The muzzle flash so close to the face and the noise made him decide to sell it. I was amazed at the number of takers there were, and the price it went for.