Xssights   Tommy Gun Shop   Tommy Gun   Mitch Rosen
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Calling out Garyb (warning Bow related)

Upstate NY - (nothing like NYC). In remote country with thousands of acres of hunting.

Quote Originally Posted by knkali View Post
    Yeah Gary is the go to guy on bow works. He not only shoots em, he builds em and hunts with them and competes with them since he was a kid.

I think it is a hoot. Went out the other day had had a blast with a family member who got me hooked on it. Relaxing in a weird way. Cannot describe it really. Satisfies the shooting sport aspect but quieter and much cheaper since you easily reuse your ammo. After about 35+- arrows, I am kinda beat too.

I hope you enjoy it as much as I do when you try it.

Good sport. Good exercise. Good family fun. It snowballs and gets contagious. Lots to the sport. Always something to learn. It can be very meditative in a way and the Japanese use it as a form of ZEN. I have a book "Zen in the Art of Archery". Actually, I have an extensive collection of books on archery and bow hunting. Archery (especially bow hunting) has been a passion for me since I was a little boy.

If you ever get to shoot at a 3D course, it is kind of like golf. You go from target to target and keep score. You can compete with yourself as well as compete with others. It is quiet and slow, but good exercise.

Give it a try b4uqzme. It was hard to tell if you were serious about your question or being hypothetical....but I am glad to talk bows or guns.
    Best to you both.
    PS - don't overshoot. Too many arrows is not good and develops bad habits that are hard to break.
    My Sword - PM4044N/CTL/Talons
    - "One should diligently train at all times." Miyamoto Musashi
    - "Train in technique until it requires no thought - no mind and just happens." Takan Soho
    - "The truth beyond the technique....Here's where we stop thinking and start shooting." Brian Enos
    - "A single sword against the cold sky." Yamaoka Tesshu
    - "You must concentrate upon and consecrate yourself wholly to each day, as though a fire were raging in your hair."
    Taisen Deshimaru
    - "Know your sword!"

The 3D course is excellent for practicing range estimation. As well as up hill/downhill and with stuff in the way, branches, brush, that sort of thing. Sort of real world. We have/had one, not sure if it's still there or not that was really cool.

Fun just getting out there and walking around the course. That was in the old days of course.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Upstate NY - (nothing like NYC). In remote country with thousands of acres of hunting.

Quote Originally Posted by Bawanna View Post
    The 3D course is excellent for practicing range estimation. As well as up hill/downhill and with stuff in the way, branches, brush, that sort of thing. Sort of real world. We have/had one, not sure if it's still there or not that was really cool.

Fun just getting out there and walking around the course. That was in the old days of course.

For sure Bawanna. I'd bet you would still enjoy shooting a bow with a little help from a friend. Wish I could do that. Sincerely.
    - "Train in technique until it requires no thought - no mind and just happens." Takan Soho
    - "The truth beyond the technique....Here's where we stop thinking and start shooting." Brian Enos
    - "You must concentrate upon and consecrate yourself wholly to each day, as though a fire were raging in your hair."
    Taisen Deshimaru
    - "Know your sword!"

can any of u guys remember the Bowhunters Nationals held for about 6 years in Clinton,Ind. Our archery club started that event and the last time we had it was well over 35 years ago but we had ove 1500 shooters and over 50 archery exhibitors. they came from miles aorund. Ol sneaky Ted Nugent even came to shoot but oncve the word got out that he was on the grounds he left ASAP. OPur last year We had the honor of having Fred Bear,glenn st. Charles, Jennings, Pete Shipley, Jim doughtery, Acie Johnson (preston of Ben Pearson archery) Roger Rothhar, The Pope and Young organization was there along with about a dozen regular member. Marion James from Bowhunter Mag,. Those were the days my friends Going back a long time for me but memories have no price
    . My PM9 has over 40,000+ rounds through it, and runs much better than an illegal trying to get across our border

NRA BENEFACTOR MEMBER

MAY GOD BLESS MUGGSY

Quote Originally Posted by garyb View Post
    For sure Bawanna. I'd bet you would still enjoy shooting a bow with a little help from a friend. Wish I could do that. Sincerely.
    I wouldn't mind getting back in some. I'd need to get a lighter draw weight. When I was bow hunting I had a Martin that went from 55 to 70 and when dialed all the way up close to 75.

I did something to my upper back between the shoulder blades and of course that bow really aggravated it so I dialed it down.

My son now has a compound, can't even remember the brand but I can't even begin to draw it back.

When I was first introduced to it I think my mentor didn't expect me to be able to draw a bow, started me on his sons like 55, well it turned out that I'd been fencing for 10 years at the time and dug a ton of post holes which also turns out exercises the same exact muscles you need to pull a bow. It was effortless and he was shocked.

Had a ton of fun bow hunting, didn't kill many animals but sure saw alot and sure enjoyed the chase. Killin equals work ya know. Did manage to get a Mountain Goat, my crowning glory.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

is that Mountyain goat thing a slam at ol jocko??? Just sayin

I sold Bear archery for 30 yersa but I never owned or shot a compund bopw. I was not a traditional long bow person either but I trtuly loved the Bear take downs at 70#. The componds today just seem outta place in the archery world, I realize 95% shoot one so Iam of the old school but a su said colonel. It was more of the ut with me than the kill. I missed far more than I ever hit but back then I felt bad about mssing to but today I think back and I just have nod esire to kill much of anything anymore, except time. Never shot a goat, screwed alot of them thugh, did bow kill a Mt. Lion that made P & Y back yonder in Moab, Utah. My how the good times have passed to but the memories last forever..
    . My PM9 has over 40,000+ rounds through it, and runs much better than an illegal trying to get across our border

NRA BENEFACTOR MEMBER

MAY GOD BLESS MUGGSY

I never missed a shot, just didn't take many shots. I only had one deer get away that I know I hit, I recovered the arrow, definite lung shot, right at dusk and of course dark and rain came on quick. I tracked for and looked for two days with 4 other guys helping and couldn't find it.
    Still sick about it to this day.

I had elk on one side of the bushes and me on the other 5 yards apart, just couldn't find a hole to get an arrow through, it was a blast, well a quiet blast but a blast none the less.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

Quote Originally Posted by jocko View Post
    can any of u guys remember the Bowhunters Nationals held for about 6 years in Clinton,Ind. Our archery club started that event and the last time we had it was well over 35 years ago but we had ove 1500 shooters and over 50 archery exhibitors. they came from miles aorund. Ol sneaky Ted Nugent even came to shoot but oncve the word got out that he was on the grounds he left ASAP. OPur last year We had the honor of having Fred Bear,glenn st. Charles, Jennings, Pete Shipley, Jim doughtery, Acie Johnson (preston of Ben Pearson archery) Roger Rothhar, The Pope and Young organization was there along with about a dozen regular member. Marion James from Bowhunter Mag,. Those were the days my friends Going back a long time for me but memories have no price

I remember reading about the Nationals. Also familiar with all the memorable names you mentioned. I met Jennings, Doughtery, Rothhar. I have a 1st edition version of the Pope and Young Scoring, signed by the wife of the author. You'll recognize this bow Jocko. My Bear TD. I have two sets of limbs for it. Also have a Howard Hill Bamboo and a 62" Howatt Hunter in bubinga (the original old version). Not many of today's archers know much about these. But I am sure some of you old goats and sheep herders do....LOL.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Taisen Deshimaru
    - "Know your sword!"

I can pre-date your Bear as I shot local tournaments with a fiberglass 40# Paul Bunyan Custom recurve as a kid.
    I got back into it last year with my grandkids. I now use my compound bow as part of by exercise regime during the looooong Minnesota winters. Great fun for those that like to tweak, shoot, tweak, and shoot.
    Before anyone tells me not to draw my compound bow without an nocked arrow, I use this tool.
    http://thirdhandarchery.com/product.asp?PRODID=12
    "Never pet a burning dog"

340pd, Appreciate the offer to date my Bear TD. I know I got it in the 80's. I had one just like it that was stolen from me. My insurance covered it and got it replaced. Decent bow. Got a set of 50# and 55# limbs for it. Wall hanger now, but it will get left to one of the kids or grandkids. They may not realize just what they put their hands on when they get it. Much like some of my other traditional bows and arrows. Today's archers don't have the same appreciation for this kind of stuff as was had back in the day. Good days too. But, archery has progressed amazingly.
    Taisen Deshimaru
    - "Know your sword!"