CrossBreed Holsters   Mitch Rosen   Kahr Shop   Tommy Gun
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Where are all the BFR fans?

Quote Originally Posted by 45andbigger View Post
    I actually have the 30-30 model,I love the gun but I am a fan of big bore handguns in general. I use my own handloads in it and it shoots well especially off the rest. Nosler ballistic tips
    Have you had any issues with set back with the bottlenecked .30-30 cartridge?

no I have not

Well, I have a MK40 and drifted down here and was surprised to see a Big Frame Revolver (BFR) thread. I have a BFR in 45-70 that I use as a companion to my Marlin 1895 Guide Gun, also in 45-70.

I usually hunt deer with a Ruger Redhawk in .44 mag but I'm going to try the BFR for hunting this Fall. It has the 10 inch barrel and the ballistics are pretty close to a 45-70 rifle.

The BFR is very well made and the quality is comparable to Freedom Arms revolvers at a lower price. They are made one at a time in Pillager Minnesota by Magnum Research.

About two weeks ago, I finally got me a BFR. I got the 30-30 with the ten inch barrel. I am partial to the 30-30 because it was the caliber of the first gun I ever bought (Marlin-30AS, I still have) and the 30-30 round costs about half as much to shoot as the 45-70. With it weighing in at 5LBS-3OZ the recoil is... shall we say, smooth, so smooth that the wife enjoys shooting it. If I were a hunter, I would not have any problem taking it out hunting.

Last edited by jc64; 08-26-2018 at 02:30 AM. Reason: Grammer

I am aware off them but have zero interest due to the cost of the weapon, cost of ammo (even reloading), and near zero utility where I live.

Quote Originally Posted by jc64 View Post
    About two weeks ago, I finally got me a BFR. I got the 30-30 with the ten inch barrel. I am partial to the 30-30 because it was the caliber of the first gun I ever bought (Marlin-30AS, I still have) and the 30-30 round costs about half as much to shoot as the 45-70. With it weighing in at 5LBS-3OZ the recoil is... shall we say, smooth, so smooth that the wife enjoys shooting it. If I were a hunter, I would not have any problem taking it out hunting.

Nice gun, I'm sure you'll have a lot of fun with it. Yours looks exactly like mine. Mine was made in 2016 and came with the bulky finger groove grips. I called the factory and they sold me a pair of the new style grips like you have. Much easier to handle since I don't have really big hands.

The BFR factory is about 140 miles from me. They will not let you bring in a gun for service, you have to send it in if service is needed. Mine is out of warranty now but they are so solid I can't imagine anything going wrong unless you blow it up with an insane reload.

Quote Originally Posted by CPTKILLER View Post
    I am aware off them but have zero interest due to the cost of the weapon, cost of ammo (even reloading), and near zero utility where I live.
    They draw a lot of attention at the range. Everyone always asks "What are you going to do with that thing?". I have a .44 mag lever action that weighs less than my BFR 45-70 but is not nearly as much fun. The BFR does grow on you and after awhile something like a Ruger Redhawk looks small.

I will be using a bipod from my blind when I hunt deer with it this Fall. It's definitely not a CCW gun unless you wear a trench coat.

A lot of people in Texas use them for hog hunting in 45-70. They say it puts them down with one shot.
    Last edited by 44 Deerslayer; 08-26-2018 at 07:36 AM. Reason: added text

Just ordered my first in 500JRH today. Bisley grips with a 7.5” barrel. Will add a scope and hunt with it.

I have a few and really like them. I think they are the strongest single action out there.
    I have the 45/454/410, 45-70, 475 Linebaugh, 500 JRH w octagon BBL, 500 S&W.
    What I'd really like to see next is a mid sized frame in the Supermag calibers, or a 50-70.

I'm right here . Love my 460 BFR fantastic weapon .