CrossBreed Holsters   Magnum Research new   Mitch Rosen   Xssights
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: PM9 interesting jam with TulAmmo BrassMaxx

Default PM9 interesting jam with TulAmmo BrassMaxx

Had some interesting jams at Ben Avery today with my PM9 that I've never experienced before. Basically a failure to feed. Upon firing, the spent case ejected properly, the gun cycled, and the new rounds got caught on the way into the chamber leaving the slide about 80% of the way back to full battery. A very strong racking of the slide (almost needed a hammer) was required to get the unfired round out of the chamber.

Kind of similar to this previous thread, except the OP mentioned scratches on the case of the unfired round. In my case, the rounds were badly crimped at one single point on the case mouth and almost looked a little bent (pics below).

These jams occurred while using TulAmmo Brass Maxx from Walmart. I had 3 instances of this in the 100 round can that went through the pistol. My PM9 has about 500 rounds through it with no prior issues and is always cared for after firing. Mechanically speaking, the only possibilities that come to mind are polishing the feed ramp or perhaps replacing the recoil spring assembly, but both of those appear to be in good working order. I'm fairly confident it is the ammo, but please let me know if you have any thoughts or similar experiences.

I'm gonna out on a wild limb....

I think the ammo got caught by the rim of the extracted case.

There's almost no way the new round got snagged on the front of the feed ramp to do that. Almost next to impossible, as the ramp is very far down.

The new round "may" have snagged the top of the barrel hood.... its the only place it could catch.... but again.... a really hard sell to explain how that happened.

Those new rounds look like they're just a little bit thick or wide at the case mouth...maybe its just me thinking that though.

Quote Originally Posted by CJB View Post
    Wow. Is that mechanically possible?

I would say the ammo came as pictured and the PM9 had nothing to do with it.
    If a sign could stop evil….They’d make holsters for them!!

make sure your spring in the magazine is in good condition... clean out the magazine 100% and try again.

Quote Originally Posted by Rubb View Post
    I would say the ammo came as pictured and the PM9 had nothing to do with it.
    Interesting theory. This seems unlikely, but to be fair and keep an open mind, I inspected the remaining 200 rounds. No marks, dents, scratches or bending of any kind, just standard factory ammo. A 3% defect rate in quality control would be high even for TulAmmo.

Quote Originally Posted by 7ekken View Post
    make sure your spring in the magazine is in good condition... clean out the magazine 100% and try again.
    Ok, you stumped a bit here. How would the mag spring cause this?

Quote Originally Posted by bobmalooga99 View Post
    Wow. Is that mechanically possible?
    Dunno, but its more likely than the edge of the ramp!

Quote Originally Posted by CJB View Post
    I'm gonna out on a wild limb....

There's almost no way the new round got snagged on the front of the feed ramp to do that. Almost next to impossible, as the ramp is very far down.

The new round "may" have snagged the top of the barrel hood.... its the only place it could catch.... but again.... a really hard sell to explain how that happened.

Those new rounds look like they're just a little bit thick or wide at the case mouth...maybe its just me thinking that though.
    Don't know about any of the rest, but the round pictured DOES look a bit wide at the mouth ala " no Crimp"

Quote Originally Posted by berettabone View Post
    Don't know about any of the rest, but the round pictured DOES look a bit wide at the mouth ala " no Crimp"
    That may be. I'll try to borrow a caliper and see if it's true compared to other factory ammo. However, if a wide mouth was the issue, why would it crimp in one spot on the case mouth?