Crimsontrace   Magnum Research new   CrossBreed Holsters   Kahr Shop
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: PM9 interesting jam with TulAmmo BrassMaxx

Quote Originally Posted by Ikeo74 View Post
    If you can post another picture with the case laying down but center the bent area in the picture so we can look for damage to the bullet. If your gun caused it the bullet would be gouged. If the factory caused it the bullet will not have a visable gouge.
    Here is a pic of the dent/gouge in the bullet, exactly opposite the deformation of the brass. It was challenging to get this on film, but you can see the dent just to the right of the center line.

Quote Originally Posted by Rubb View Post
    I would say the ammo came as pictured and the PM9 had nothing to do with it.
    Winnah, right here!

Yeah. I agree the issue is quite likely with the ammo itself.

Several years ago, we discovered a similar looking round while loading the magazine to shoot a completely different brand of semi-automatic pistol. We were shooting some "cost effective" Federal American Eagle .380 ACP FMJ ammo at the time.

CJB has significant experience loading ammo on automatic machinery that he designed and maintained personally. His equipment would be very unlikely to produce such poor product. The American Eagle round we discovered looked very much like yours right out of the box. The same case lot of ammo also contained what I believe was an over charged round and did some damage to the pistol as well.

Needless to say, we put Federal American Eagle on the "do not purchase" list. I suspect TulAmmo belongs on that same list as well.

Thank you for sharing the cautionary account of your experience, sir.

Quote Originally Posted by bobmalooga99 View Post
    Had some interesting jams at Ben Avery today with my PM9 that I've never experienced before. . . .

These jams occurred while using TulAmmo Brass Maxx from Walmart. . . .

I'm fairly confident it is the ammo, but please let me know if you have any thoughts or similar experiences.

It would be so nice if something made sense for a change.
    -- Alice in Lewis Carroll's Alice's Adventures in Wonderland

Quote Originally Posted by TucsonMTB View Post
    Yeah. I agree the issue is quite likely with the ammo itself.
    This seems to be a common theme so far. I'm not opposed to this theory, it just seems so unlikely to have 3 bad rounds in a can of 100. Or maybe I just want to believe it is unlikely for a factory to have quality control that poor.

I think CJB's thought was that the round got caught on the spent case, but he did say he was feeling adventurous with that theory.

I guess the only scientific thing to do is fire the other 200 rounds that do not appear to have any defects and see if the jam can be reproduced. Regardless of whether the ammo is bad or the PM9 doesn't like it, I won't be buying any more. May as well get a fun little experiment out of the other 2 cans.

Quote Originally Posted by bobmalooga99 View Post
    This seems to be a common theme so far. I'm not opposed to this theory, it just seems so unlikely to have 3 bad rounds in a can of 100. Or maybe I just want to believe it is unlikely for a factory to have quality control that poor.

I think CJB's thought was that the round got caught on the spent case, but he did say he was feeling adventurous with that theory.

I guess the only scientific thing to do is fire the other 200 rounds that do not appear to have any defects and see if the jam can be reproduced. Regardless of whether the ammo is bad or the PM9 doesn't like it, I won't be buying any more. May as well get a fun little experiment out of the other 2 cans.

Ammo is not produced one can at a time, its produced in large lots.
    If you look around you'll find many stories of bad factory ammo.

Here's mine...2 out of 50.
    http://kahrtalk.com/showthread.php?t=8856
    If a sign could stop evil….They’d make holsters for them!!

I'd check the thickness of the case rim. It looks to me like the rim didn't slip under the extractor properly and the case being tilted caught on the edge of the chamber.
    Never trust anyone who doesn't trust you to own a gun.

Life Member - NRA
    Colt Gold Cup 70 series
    Colt Woodsman
    Ruger Mark III .22-45
    Kahr CM9
    Kahr P380