Mitch Rosen   Tommy Gun   Tommy Gun Shop   Magnum Research new
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Comparing reload performance between Kahr and other firearms

Quote Originally Posted by pbagley View Post
    This post concerns .380 ACP. Loads are compared between a Kahr CW380 and a Taurus PT 738 TCP.

Load is about 100 fps slower than factory 95gr loads.

Date : May 24, 2014 Temp 70f
    Load : 2.7 700-x, Berry's 100gr. plated round nose, Blazer brass, WW primer.
    Kahr CW380: 764 fps, 56 fps extreme spread
    PT 738 TCP : 771 fps, 142 extreme spread
    Accuracy is not as good as factory ammo.

Still looking for a good reload for the .380.
    I found a recipe with 700-x that works well in my TCP. 2.2 grains under a moly-coated 95 grain LRN produces very good accuracy for me. It is my all-the-time round in that gun.

What does one do the weekend after an alleged terrorist attack in CA, USA? Go to the range and test some new .45 ACP reloads, of course.

For today's experiment I have some reloads consisting of a light charge of 6.3 gr. CFE under a 200 gr. PHP from Xtreme. It's 44 degrees Fahrenheit

1911 (5") 822 fps average, 90 extreme spread
    Khar CW45 784 fps average, 70 extreme spread
    Khar CM45 709 fps average, 107 extreme spread

Accuracy is pretty good overall. This is typical, printed at 25 yards from the CM45:

Velocities have a pretty big extreme spread, but accuracy is good at 25 yards.
    Odd things you notice
    - from the 1911 I notice powder hitting my face. It stings.
    - recoil is very light, but there are no failures to feed.

Next time I think I'll try a bit more powder, perhaps going to 6.5 or so.

This weekend I tried upping the charge of CFE to 6.7gr. with the same 200gr. plated hollow point bullet from Xtreme. A new battery in the chronograph and off to the range I went.

1911 (5") 844 fps average, 99 extreme spread
    Khar CW45 799 fps average, 59 extreme spread
    Khar CM45 749 fps average, 77 extreme spread

No more powder hitting my face from the 1911. Group sizes are about the same, a bit more recoil but still comfortable to shoot. I'm not happy about the extreme spread in velocities. First shot from each magazine is low, the rest are much closer to the same velocities. I speculate this is due to the cool temperatures.
    Last edited by pbagley; 01-27-2016 at 09:02 PM.

A while back someone asked if I was shooting from a rest for accuracy testing. I was not, and I did not have a decent rest for handgun. Fast forward to the after Christmas clearance at Menards, and I bought a Cadwell rest for rifle and handgun. Today I gave it a try for the first time with the CM45.

I noticed that the first round always felt a little weak, just like before. I wonder if CFE is a bit temperature sensitive. We will see when it warms up I guess.

Just for fun I followed these 10 with 20 more shots standing on my two hinds legs and shooting two handed like usual. Of course the group size opened up a bit. Odd that I shot a little higher.

Quote Originally Posted by grandpa1466 View Post
    I found a recipe with 700-x that works well in my TCP. 2.2 grains under a moly-coated 95 grain LRN produces very good accuracy for me. It is my all-the-time round in that gun.
    Hi Grandpa1466,

I've tried 700x, and then gave it away to my son in law. I found that 700x would kind of gum up my RCBS rotary powder measure. My accuracy with 700x was not as good as other powders. So far the best with the xTreme 100 gr. plated bullets is CFE in my very limited experience.