Kahr Shop   Crimsontrace   Tommy Gun Shop   Xssights
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Comparing reload performance between Kahr and other firearms

This post will contain 40 S&W defensive load performance data.

Temp: 55f
    Load: MagTech 155gr Jacketed Hollow Point (50 rounds box for $26.99 at Fleet Farm)
    Kahr CM40 (3.1" barrel): 1137 fps, 30fps extreme spread

May 24, 2014 Temp: 70f
    Load: MagTech 180gr Jacketed Hollow Point (50 rounds box for $27.99 at Fleet Farm)
    Kahr CM40 (3.1" barrel): 943 fps, 38fps extreme spread

Temp: 55f
    Load: Hornady Critical Defense 165gr FTX
    Kahr CM40 (3.1" barrel): 1071 fps, 11fps extreme spread

Accuracy results: All target shot at 25 yards during chronygraph session.

Upstate NY - (nothing like NYC). In remote country with thousands of acres of hunting.

Looks like your CM likes the MagTech 180's. Are you benching to put as much on the ammo as possible and less on other factors?
    My Sword - PM4044N/CTL/Talons
    - "One should diligently train at all times." Miyamoto Musashi
    - "Train in technique until it requires no thought - no mind and just happens." Takan Soho
    - "The truth beyond the technique....Here's where we stop thinking and start shooting." Brian Enos
    - "A single sword against the cold sky." Yamaoka Tesshu
    - "You must concentrate upon and consecrate yourself wholly to each day, as though a fire were raging in your hair."
    Taisen Deshimaru
    - "Know your sword!"

@garyb - All rounds were shot using a two hand hold at 25 yards. Not benched. The groups are the rounds chronographed. Sorry, some of the mistakes are mine. That said, my CM40 really likes the MagTech 180 HP's.

Upstate NY - (nothing like NYC). In remote country with thousands of acres of hunting.

I was curious and sincerely am not being critical with your test data. But would your ammo group comparisons be better represented off the bench than off hand? In other words, eliminate a variable?
    - "Train in technique until it requires no thought - no mind and just happens." Takan Soho
    - "The truth beyond the technique....Here's where we stop thinking and start shooting." Brian Enos
    - "You must concentrate upon and consecrate yourself wholly to each day, as though a fire were raging in your hair."
    Taisen Deshimaru
    - "Know your sword!"

Quote Originally Posted by garyb View Post
    I was curious and sincerely am not being critical with your test data. But would your ammo group comparisons be better represented off the bench than off hand? In other words, eliminate a variable?
    I agree, and a ransom rest would be even better. But part of the evaluation is how well I can shoot the reload under test. Of course comparisons between a 1911 and a CW45 are not fair no matter how I shoot them.

Quote Originally Posted by garyb View Post
    I have a few lbs of power pistol for my 40 but have not tried it. I actually purchased it for my wife's 380, but I did so because I could also use it in my 40's. I have found the longshot to be very clean and reliable in my 40's, but I guess I need to try the power pistol to see how it compares to longshot.
    Power Pistol works great for 9MM as well.
    Never trust anyone who doesn't trust you to own a gun.

Life Member - NRA
    Colt Gold Cup 70 series
    Colt Woodsman
    Ruger Mark III .22-45
    Kahr CM9
    Kahr P380

It seems to be a versatile powder for semi's (380 to 40 at least). Eventually I will get a chance to evaluate and compare it to longshot powder. Because I only load for 380 and 40, it may be a good all around powder to stock...if it shoots clean and accurate for me.
    Taisen Deshimaru
    - "Know your sword!"

In 9mm, I did not have good accuracy from Power Pistol in my CM9 or CPX2. That could be me having bad days, but in A/B tests against loads using other powders with the same bullet and primer always performed better. Usual disclaimers apply.

In the larger .40 and .45 the loads are accurate and the velocities are more consistent. My container seems to produce faster velocities than the Aliant data would suggest for the .45 loads. Always check your data before loading. I found other sources for load data that had similar velocities to what I've measured from my 1911 and CW45.

Good luck.

I did a bit of data collection this afternoon.

Lee TC lead bullet. 180 grains.
    Speer once shot brass
    Winchester primer.
    IMR 800X 6.5grains
    Lee Load master press.
    All depriming and repriming is done on a single stage press. I want to inspect every primed brass before I load it.

Here are the velocities:
    Kahr PM40
    Low 845
    High 905
    Average 886
    Extreme Spread 60
    Standard Deviation 25

Glock 27
    Low 885
    High 924
    Avg 899
    ES 39
    SD 17

Hi Point 40 carbine
    Low 1161
    High 1236
    Avg 1201
    ES 74
    SD 30

Note that the 16" barrel is good for 300fps over the 3-3.5" barrels in the pistols.
    My tests were over 5 rounds in each gun. The ES and SD are not that valuable, except to say that I think they are all good for being being produced in my shop without weighing charges just measured by volume.

All my 40s cycle this round well.
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”

― Dalai Lama XIV (as told to high school students.)

Thanks Mr. 100percent! I've been wondering how our Kahr's would compare with a G27.