Tommy Gun   CrossBreed Holsters   Mitch Rosen   Xssights
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Comparing reload performance between Kahr and other firearms

Finally had a free evening to take the ShootingChrony to the range. This time I have some .380 ACP reloads to report on.

First load: 100 gr. Xtreme plated flat point with 2.7 gr. of Bullseye. This is an old pound of powder I found under the bench. Xtreme bullets is a supplier I've tried because Rocky Mountain Reloading was out of stock on everything I wanted to buy.

The CW380 : 730 fps average, 64 extreme spread

Taurus PT 738 TCP: 730 fps average, 59 extreme spread

As you can see, the Taurus like this load while the Kahr does not care for it as much.

Next we have the same 100 gr. Xtreme plated flat point with 2.7 gr. of 700X. I find 700X to be a very difficult powder to use in my powder measures.

The CW380 : 733 fps average, 62 extreme spread.

Taurus PT 738 TCP: 750 fps average, 67 extreme spread.

Looks like the TCP likes this load better as well.

Last load: The same 100 gr. Xtreme plated flat point with 4.0 gr. of AutoComp. I've read that this powder does not do well below a certain pressure threshold. I think the CW380 results confirm this, and that next time I'll use perhaps .1 or .2 gr. more powder to see if the results become more consistent.

The CW380: 778 fps average, 91 extreme spread.

Taurus PT 738 TCP: 810 fps average, 52 extreme spread.

Here I think the CW380 has printed a better group. I shot a second 10 through the CW380 with nearly the same results (786fps average, 132 extreme spread).

That's it for this installment.
    * All data provided for your enjoyment, verify all load data against reliable sources before proceeding to load using the data in this thread.
    * All targets shot at 25 yards using a two hand hold. Not bench-rested or sand-bagged. Part of the evaluation is shootability.

Once again the powder on the local retailer's shelves were all things I'd not tried before. I'll be glad when we can get WW231 and Unique again. So I've tried AutoComp, selected in ignorance. I'll try to get some 9mm, 40 S&W, and 45ACP data soon.

The following is a follow-up to the previous 380ACP post. This time I increased the charge to 4.1 gr. to see if there was an improvement in groups and extreme spread.

Here are the contenders. You'll notice a addition to the mouse gun stable.

Let's start with the CW380. 824fps ten shot average, 50 fps extreme spread.

Next the 738 TCP. 830fps ten shot average, 102fps extreme spread.

And last the new guy. Rasberry Ruger LCP. 813fps ten shot average, 130fps extreme spread.

All targets shot at 25 yards. Chronygraph at 10 feet. I think that AutoComp powder is not great in the 380, perhaps due to not generating enough pressure.

This installment is once again for the 380 ACP.

First load under test is 2.9 gr. TiteGroup with a 100gr plated flat point (pfp) from Xtreme bullets and a CCI small pistol primer.
    Average / Extreme Spread
    CW380: ... 765 / 53
    LCP: ........ 727 / 52
    TCP: ........ 769 / 72

Groups:
    CW380 - looks like jerk zone to me, but I thought I was shooting about as well as my normal:

LCP - things seem to be a bit low but generally in a wide wobble zone:

TCP - now the groups are getting tighter. Finally:

If 2,9 gr. is good, then 3.0 gr. must be better, right? This time I only chronygraphed the CW380 and LCP.

Average / Extreme Spread
    CW380: ... 796 / 53
    LCP: ........ 765 / 68

And the groups:

CW380 - Again groups is a little low but better.

LCP - Again I think it looks better:

I'll probably be loading up the rest of the box of bullets at the max load of 3.0 TiteGroup.
    Last edited by pbagley; 12-11-2014 at 09:27 PM.

This post concerns the 40S&W in the CM40. No comparison since I don't have a second 40 S&W available.

Load #1 : 4.6 gr. TiteGroup, 165gr xTreme plated hollow point, CCI primer.
    Average Velocity: ... 877
    Extreme Spread: ...... 58
    Temperature: .......... 50f

This is a easy shooting load, very easy to control. Accuracy was not quite what I want to see at 25 yards. I'll try increasing the load to see if it gets better.

Load #2 is 6.5gr. AutoComp, 165gr xTreme plated hollow point, CCI primer.
    Average Velocity: ... 943
    Extreme Spread: ...... 72
    Temperature: .......... 50f

This load is a real handful, especially considering it is the lightest recommended load for AutoComp. Recoil is a lot more than you would expect for the velocity. Accuracy is good despite the way it kicks... enough that my thumb activated the slide stop. The two fliers need to come in. I will probably abandon this powder in 40 S&W. Hopefully it will do better in 9mm.

One more - this time not a reload but instead .22lr in a Jennings J22. Again, the target was shot at 25 yards with 30 rounds of Remington 36gr HP's. I pasted up one of the 380 targets from earlier, and I did not expect much of a group. I was wrong.

I would have used a new target if I had expected any kind of grouping at all. In the interest of full disclosure, there were multiple jams. I did get though the first magazine OK. I had at least one jam every magazine after that. All I can say is that the practice with the mouse guns seems to be paying off.

This post concerns the 40S&W round. This time I have a second 40S&W along for comparison.
    Kahr CM40 - 3" barrel
    Taurus PT140 - 3.1" barrel

In the last 40S&W installment I had issues with activating the slide stop. To combat this I reduced the OAL of the loaded cartridges.
    - Old OAL: 1.13
    - New OAL: 1.12

AutoComp 6.5 xTreme 165 php

65f Kahr CM40 1009fps 47
    Taurus PT140 986 80
    Kahr CM40 - not sure how I put that one high... I will admit it's my fault. I had one and only one slide lock back with the shorter OAL, and reduced felt recoil.:

Taurus PT140 - groups are not as nice as the Kahr :

Second load under test, also loaded to the shorter 1.12" OAL
    TiteGroup 4.8 xTreme 165 php

Kahr CM40 970fps 59
    Taurus PT140 950fps 20

Kahr CM40 group - Not quite centered, and I wrote 4.6 instead of 4.8 on the target.

Taurus PT140 group - I'm blaming the caffine I drank on the way to the range for this bad group. Low extreme spread, but this was the first group chronographed. Sun was playing up the sensors, so not every shot was recorded and there were only six of ten that recorded.

As always, all data is presented for your entertainment only. Check all reloading data against trusted sources. You are responsible for your own reloads.

Quote Originally Posted by pbagley View Post
    This post concerns .380 ACP. Loads are compared between a Kahr CW380 and a Taurus PT 738 TCP.

Date : May 24, 2014 Temp 70f
    Load : 2.6 700-x, Berry's 100gr. plated hollow base round nose, Blazer brass, WW primer.
    Kahr CW380: 708 fps, 82 fps extreme spread
    PT 738 TCP : 741 fps, 113 extreme spread
    Accuracy was not as good as factory ammo.
    Load is about 100 fps slower than factory 95gr loads.

Date : May 24, 2014 Temp 70f
    Load : 2.7 700-x, Berry's 100gr. plated round nose, Blazer brass, WW primer.
    Kahr CW380: 764 fps, 56 fps extreme spread
    PT 738 TCP : 771 fps, 142 extreme spread
    Accuracy is not as good as factory ammo.

Still looking for a good reload for the .380.
    I've had good accuracy results with my P380 using using 4.3 gr. of Power Pistol behind the 100 gr. berry's plated lead RN bullet and CCI small pistol primers.
    Never trust anyone who doesn't trust you to own a gun.

Life Member - NRA
    Colt Gold Cup 70 series
    Colt Woodsman
    Ruger Mark III .22-45
    Kahr CM9
    Kahr P380

Thanks. I will give that one a try and see how it compares to TiteGroup and BullsEye.

Edit - Darned little reloading data for PowerPistol and the 100gr plated bullet. 4.6gr. seems to be the maximum load from multiple sources, so 4.3 will likely be OK. Some opined that TiteGroup was not good in the 380ACP. I'm getting fair results, not great but still OK I guess in the TCP, less so in the LCP and CW380. Stay tuned for results when I get a chance to try them at the range.
    Last edited by pbagley; 10-25-2014 at 09:27 AM.

PowerPistol is low flash and a fairly clean burning powder. On a good day I can keep all of my shots within a 3" circle at 21 feet with this load.
    Never trust anyone who doesn't trust you to own a gun.

Life Member - NRA
    Colt Gold Cup 70 series
    Colt Woodsman
    Ruger Mark III .22-45
    Kahr CM9
    Kahr P380

Here we go with the 380 ACP

The load under test this time is a 100 gr. Xtreme plated flat point with 4.3gr. of Power Pistol.

The chronograph was playing up with full direct sunlight this afternoon. I captured what I could. The cool temperatures and weak battery may be part of the reason for the shots not recorded as well.

Gun: Average Velocity Extreme Spread
    CW380 2.58" 792 65
    LCP 2.75" 801 44
    738 TCP 2.84" 816 105

Accuracy:
    CW380 - this load shoots a little low, and a bit to the left. Not jerking, at least I don't think I am. :

Ruger LCP - once again the 25 yard accuracy is disappointing. Dry firing one with an empty magazing showd me putting things to the right, but all shots are going a bit left and wild. The next group (no chronograph) was a little better, but not much.

Last the good old TCP. 25 yard accuracy is better with all shots on the repair center.

There you have it. I think this can be a good accurate load in some guns. The TCP seems to like it just fine.