Tommy Gun   Kahr Shop   Tommy Gun Shop   Magnum Research new
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Get out the vote

Quote Originally Posted by happypuppy View Post
    I suggest reading this if you have not. As many already know this is not really news
    Study: US is an oligarchy, not a democracy

http://m.bbc.com/news/blogs-echochambers-27074746

Just ' bout the action Boss...

Structurally we are a republic. With the advent of "career politicians", the oligarchy postulate is an easy sell. IMHO
    I am the Living Man

Quote Originally Posted by knkali View Post
    Structurally we are a republic. With the advent of "career politicians", the oligarchy postulate is an easy sell. IMHO
    That's why character matters and why we should only vote for honorable men and women.
    Never trust anyone who doesn't trust you to own a gun.

Life Member - NRA
    Colt Gold Cup 70 series
    Colt Woodsman
    Ruger Mark III .22-45
    Kahr CM9
    Kahr P380

If the military vote didn't matter the democrats wouldn't keep trying to suppress it. Can I get an Amen?
    Never trust anyone who doesn't trust you to own a gun.

Life Member - NRA
    Colt Gold Cup 70 series
    Colt Woodsman
    Ruger Mark III .22-45
    Kahr CM9
    Kahr P380

Quote Originally Posted by muggsy View Post
    In the U.S.A. only about 1% of the population has served their country in the military. But that 1% can have a tremendous affect on the outcome of an election. We are the can do people and we're very good at recruiting others. All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men do do nothing. Keep that in mind, AJ. You will never hear me say, "What difference does it make?"
    +1
    If we do nothing we are already lost!

Quote Originally Posted by leftysixty View Post
    Most of the time, because of "our" political process, I truly believe that "my" vote does not count

I always research the candidates and issues, and then I VOTE!

If you don't vote, you have no right to complain.

Vote, write letters, sign petitions, ya never know it might help

If you don't vote you have no right to complain……can I say Amen!

I didn't always agree with my parents politics but they did (thankfully) instill
    a STRONG desire to vote! They always said that it was not only our right but our responsibility to vote.
    I haven't missed an election since I was 18.

AMEN! That's true for sure... at least among those not brainwashed to the extreme by the progressive teachers' unions.

I'm a fan of a series of sci-fi books by by Michael Z. Williamson... Freehold is a Prometheus Award nominated science fiction novel written by Michael Z. Williamson, published in 2004 by Baen Books.

He's a veteran and a great writer... and shooter with quite a background. In his Freehold with the frontier planet of that name, citizenship is earned only by honorable military service, not being a welfare freeloader.

Wynn
    USAF Retired '88, NRA Life Member. Wife USAF Retired '96
    Avatar: Wynn re-enlists his wife Desiree, circa 1988 Loring AFB, ME. 42nd BMW, Heavy (SAC) B-52G's
    Frédéric Bastiat’s essay, The Law: http://mises.org/books/thelaw.pdf

Thomas Jefferson said

“A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.”
    and

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

Quote Originally Posted by wyntrout View Post
    AMEN! That's true for sure... at least among those not brainwashed to the extreme by the progressive teachers' unions.

I'm a fan of a series of sci-fi books by by Michael Z. Williamson... Freehold is a Prometheus Award nominated science fiction novel written by Michael Z. Williamson, published in 2004 by Baen Books.

He's a veteran and a great writer... and shooter with quite a background. In his Freehold with the frontier planet of that name, citizenship is earned only by honorable military service, not being a welfare freeloader.

Wynn
    Sounds somewhat like "Stormship Troopers". If that was the rule of law, we would have a LOT of very unhappy people in this country. Server your country in whatever means before you can be a citizen.

I like it!

Default Get out the vote

Quote Originally Posted by AJBert View Post
    Sounds somewhat like "Stormship Troopers". If that was the rule of law, we would have a LOT of very unhappy people in this country. Server your country in whatever means before you can be a citizen.

I like it!

Normally, I wouldn't nitpick you on this...

But "STARSHIP Troopers" remains one of my all-time favorite novels. Which was sadly butchered in an awful film adaptation of the book. At his best, Robert Heinlein was hard to beat. BTW, Heinlein was a veteran, graduated from the U.S. Naval Academy, but left on a medical retirement (tuberculosis) after only a few years. I find myself still re-reading his many wonderful books and short stories. He died 26 years ago, and man do I miss him!
    NRA Benefactor Life Member

I love my COUNTRY...but I don't trust my GOVERNMENT.

Yeah, the movie was too much like Men in Black.

Heinlein and Asimov and Andre Norton were my favorite authors when I was very young. Of course they came after HG Wells and E.R. Burroughs and Jules Verne.

I became an avid SciFi fan when I learned to read... and I still am... that and military/high tech thrillers... Clancy, Coonts, Poyer, and many, many others.

I read a lot of books and mostly everything is on my LG G2 phone as soon as it comes out in eBook form. I used to order the hard cover books from Amazon before they were released and now do the same with eBooks in Kindle format.

I've been thinking about re-reading Heinlein. His books aren't cheap in eBook form, either.

It looks like Hollywood is going to start making movies out of David Weber's Lady Harrington Series. I would think that someone like Angelina Jolie would be nice, but the people talking about the movies are trying to find someone close to the author's description... hard, since she's about 6'3" and part Asian in background with tremendous martial art skills... and easy on the eyes. Then... there's her 6-limbed telepathic/empathic "treecat". I know that the movies will be disappointing, but I'll watch them... eventually... when they come out on BlueRay DVD... extended version, of course.

Wynn
    USAF Retired '88, NRA Life Member. Wife USAF Retired '96
    Avatar: Wynn re-enlists his wife Desiree, circa 1988 Loring AFB, ME. 42nd BMW, Heavy (SAC) B-52G's
    Frédéric Bastiat’s essay, The Law: http://mises.org/books/thelaw.pdf

Thomas Jefferson said

“A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.”
    and

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

Quote Originally Posted by rjt123 View Post
    Normally, I wouldn't nitpick you on this...

But "STARSHIP Troopers" remains one of my all-time favorite novels. Which was sadly butchered in an awful film adaptation of the book. At his best, Robert Heinlein was hard to beat. BTW, Heinlein was a veteran, graduated from the U.S. Naval Academy, but left on a medical retirement (tuberculosis) after only a few years. I find myself still re-reading his many wonderful books and short stories. He died 26 years ago, and man do I miss him!
    Heinlein was the only author I could read when it came to sci-fi. I did find a few of his books rather anti-religion, in particular "Man from Mars".

The only other sci-fi book I could read the entire way through was "Battle Field Earth", in which Hollyweird COMPLETELY ruined! I rather enjoyed the book, though it was somewhat of a rather long read.

And, no, I'm not a Trekkie or Star Wars groupie. I really prefer a good Louis L'Amour or Zane Grey or Tom Clancy.