Tommy Gun Shop   Crimsontrace   Tommy Gun   Kahr Shop

Thread: Carry magazines: do they need to "rest"?

Default Carry magazines: do they need to "rest"?

I hope this hasn't been asked and answered before. My apologies if so. I tried to search for a similar thread but didn't find anything that quite fit.

What do ya'll do about your magazines in your carry weapon? Do you leave a magazine loaded at all times (especially those of you fortunate enough to live in a carry state, unlike me)? Do you think there are issues with the spring losing flexibility by being compressed over long periods of time? Do you rotate between a couple of magazines to give each of them time to "rest"? Or is this simply not an issue with Kahr magazines?

Just curious what common practice and your experiences are.

Thanks.
    Ray

NRA Endowment Life Member
    SAF Life Member

Talking ----------------

Quote Originally Posted by aray View Post
    I hope this hasn't been asked and answered before. My apologies if so. I tried to search for a similar thread but didn't find anything that quite fit.

What do ya'll do about your magazines in your carry weapon? Do you leave a magazine loaded at all times (especially those of you fortunate enough to live in a carry state, unlike me)? Do you think there are issues with the spring losing flexibility by being compressed over long periods of time? Do you rotate between a couple of magazines to give each of them time to "rest"? Or is this simply not an issue with Kahr magazines?

Just curious what common practice and your experiences are.

Thanks.
    It not an issue,leave them loaded for years if you want to.

Quote Originally Posted by swampman View Post
    It not an issue,leave them loaded for years if you want to.
    I agree, spring technology is way better than long ago. BUT, I still rotate mags every 2 to 3 months. When I make it to the range, I shoot the mags I've been carrying, set them aside and carry new mags.
    A story I shared before involving my duffle bag 45 1911. The man that gave it to me brought it back in 1942 still loaded in his duffle bag. Never messed with it until I got it about 5 years ago. I shot the 2 mags he loaded back then, everything fed and went bang as designed. About that time I switched from changing mags every 30 days or so to much longer periods. And I wouldn't lose any sleep if I never switched them.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

I have heard hearsay of mag springs getting weak or compressed, but honestly have never heard nor seen any actual proof of it happening.

It is always someones brothers cousins sister in laws neighbor who had a mag spring go bad from leaving it loaded too long.

Pistol mag springs have always been better than thought. I know people who like Bawanna haven't unloaded a magazine in decades, then later on no problems. The only magazines that I won't keep loaded are on aluminum GI mags. Those were originally designed to be thrown out, but since it never happened like that, it was discovered that leaving them loaded for long periods would deform and in some cases break the feed lips. Steel mags fixed that and pistol mags have always been steel, and never had problems due to that. At least none I've heard of.
    Attitude: it takes 43 muscles to frown, 17 to smile...and 3 for proper trigger squeeze.

The olive branch is considered a symbol of peace, and good will. Last time I checked, it's still a switch.

Springs don't take a 'set' from being idle, whether compressed or at rest. They only weaken or wear out from going through the cycle of compressed to rest or the other way from rest to compressed. This is due to the microscopic crystallization of the steel molecules each time it flexes. The excellent alloys used now days will tolerate millions of cycles.

The ammo on the other hand needs to be changed out probably once or twice a year, and that only because if it's a carry gun it is probably close to your body and the salts and moisture in sweat is likely to affect the ammo over time. Like the old timers (like jocko and bawanna) say, 'Keep your powder dry".

I bought a set of magazine springs for both the 6 rd and 7 rds magazine. I keep them in my box as a spare IF I ever need them. Same goes for recoil springs. I keep several spares. Springs are cheap. I keep mine loaded all the time.

The Kahr owner's manual does say to rest the springs from time to time.