Crimsontrace   Xssights   Tommy Gun Shop   Magnum Research new
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just Ordered A CM9

Default Just Ordered A CM9

I own a Glock 27 and a Taurus 357 Poly Protector. Both had a few minor hiccups during breakin period. My experience with handguns is less than a year old, but I'm quickly becoming a novice. I reload for the 38, 357, and 40 and ordered the dies for the 9mm. I research models of carry guns thoroughly via the Internet without ever holding one in my hands before I "pull the trigger" and purchase it. I love both my purchases so far and I'm confident, the Kahr CM9 will be as good an experience. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to break in the CM9? My 1st 100 rounds will be factory ammo then ALL reloads after that. I'm much more experienced in reloading and love the hobby.

Clean it and lube it according to the guides in the technical forum. You might hand rack it a bunch to loosen it up. Have fun and good luck.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk
    (this space intentionally left blank)

Quote Originally Posted by codegeek View Post
    Clean it and lube it according to the guides in the technical forum. You might hand rack it a bunch to loosen it up. Have fun and good luck.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk
    This +1

My Kahr was, and still is tighter than your sister at the gynecologist...........forget all that pre racking crap. Clean, lube, shoot. As far as ammo, you should try to use something a bit stout. It takes a bit to move that slide. Reloads, NEVER shoot them, so I can't give opinion on that.

Default hopefully

Quote Originally Posted by CC Hoosier View Post
    I own a Glock 27 and a Taurus 357 Poly Protector. Both had a few minor hiccups during breakin period. My experience with handguns is less than a year old, but I'm quickly becoming a novice. I reload for the 38, 357, and 40 and ordered the dies for the 9mm. I research models of carry guns thoroughly via the Internet without ever holding one in my hands before I "pull the trigger" and purchase it. I love both my purchases so far and I'm confident, the Kahr CM9 will be as good an experience. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to break in the CM9? My 1st 100 rounds will be factory ammo then ALL reloads after that. I'm much more experienced in reloading and love the hobby.
    ur talking about reloads for range foddr and not for defense carry. IMO shoot good american made defense NEW ammo. I would definitely break it in with new factory fmj ammo, not criticising ur reloads but if u have issues anbd come here or call kahr and tell them u are having issues with it shooting reloads they and this forum will tell u to buy new ammo and retest..the cm9 is a super nice gun, u should love it I would suggest reading eh kehr tech stwo good stickys : kahr lube chart, and propper preppi of ur kahr.

Nuttin beats the cycling action of the bang thing in breaking in a kahr,m but (IMO it hurts nadda to sit there and take 5 minuts and hand rac k the piss out of the slide. Does it help? Don't know, does it harm anything. That is 100% a NO, so why not taike a minutes to work the actio manuall6y. Ur call, to make.
    . My PM9 has over 40,000+ rounds through it, and runs much better than an illegal trying to get across our border

NRA BENEFACTOR MEMBER

MAY GOD BLESS MUGGSY

jocko's typically right on this one.

Best to shoot quality, factory fmj ammo during break-in as it eliminates that variable in case you run into issues. You can shoot the reloads once you establish all is good.

It can't hurt to hand rack the slide so why not? (despite what MF said). It could help.

enjoy!
    ​O|||||||O

I only have 200 rounds through my CM9, all 124gr "NATO" FMJ.

Fifty rounds of the Winchester Ranger RA9124N (NATO) and 150 rounds of the Georgia Arms 124gr "NATO"

When I say NATO - I mean 124gr FMJ rated at or near 1200 fps from a 5" barrel. That is a little hotter than the average and quite a bit hotter than the rather anemic 124gr Blazzer Brass rated at 1090 fps.

I cleaned and lubed my CM9 per Jocko's recommendations and I manually racked my slide 500 times and did quite a bit of dry-firing as a prelude to my range outing and I haven't had FTF or FTE in the first 200 rounds.

My CM9 has gotten considerably easier to rack after firing it. Pulling the slide back to dry fire was a chore at first and now it's a lot easier.

Or maybe I just built up muscles from all that manual slide-racking.

Count,

We bought the same gun on the same sale at the same time... and my experiences have mimicked yours to a "T" (except for your fun with broken followers). I feel like my trigger got even smoother, and the slide MUCH easier to rack as I also worked it about 500 times over the course of a couple weeks. Had a failure to eject (stove pipe jam) on my first shot. The next 200 were faultless.

Just last night, I was wondering if the gun was really that much easier to rack (it is!) or if my muscles had just built up from the exercise...

When I saw the last line of your post,I laughed, and had to respond!

I love this little gun.

I know the trigger has smoothed out some and it is much easier to rack. I was just kidding about getting stronger just from racking the slide 500 times. I do exercises to increase muscle mass in my forearms and increase grip strength so I can shoot my R9 and I know I didn't get much stronger by racking the slide on my CM9.

I also use snap caps when I dry fire and it was tough to get the slide to budge at first and when it did come back, it came back forcefully - ejecting the snap cap. It was difficult exerting just enough force to get the trigger to reset. Now its easy.

Thanks everyone for the helpful suggestions. I will definitely rack the piss out of it after cleaning and lubing it. I'll then take it to the range with good factory ammo (brass of course) then reload the brass with 1200 fps specs. (6 grains of LONGSHOT pushing a 115 grain XTP HP) I'll be back in a few days to give you all the results!