Kahr Shop   Crimsontrace   Xssights   Mitch Rosen
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: CM9 -- Another "which mags should I buy" question

Default CM9 -- Another "which mags should I buy" question

Hi all. Picked up my CM9 yesterday (after waiting two weeks from the time I ordered), and will be taking it to the range this weekend. Since I've picked it up, I've cleaned it down, lubed according to the stickies around here, hand racked the slide about 350 times. Finally, I gave it another cleaning and lubed again. Should be ready to go to the range, but I want to pick up a couple extra mags before I go.

My CM9 is going to be a pocket carry pistol for me, in my rear pocket with an ezholster (http://ezholsters.com/shop/kahr-cm9-ez-holster/).
    ***the CM9 fits fine in my rear pocket in jeans as well as dress slacks.

So, I'm looking to buy a couple spare mags for the range, which I may end up carry one of these spares as well. Locally, I can pick up the following:
    MK620 (stock 6 rd)
    MK720 (7 rd, ext base)
    K820 (7 rd, flat base)
    K920G (8 rd, ext base)

I can get the others, but they have to order it for me.

I was really hoping to get a couple K920s (8 rd, ext base) but I would have to order those and wouldn't have them until after this weekend. I can wait, but I was curious what the K920G looks like on the CM9? I assume there is a gap between the ext base and bottom of the magwell, but I can't find any pictures of that. Does anyone know of any around here or elsewhere so I can see? If it looks tacky, I'll probably just order 2 K920's instead, and stick with the single 6 rd this weekend.

Or should I get MK720/K820 instead? Do the 7 rd work better than 8 rd in the CM9?

I can't point you to pics right now but if you're worried about looks, anything other than the 6 round mag looks awful.

muggsy: Let's face it, being shot by a .380 will ruin anyone's day.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidR View Post
    I can't point you to pics right now but if you're worried about looks, anything other than the 6 round mag looks awful.
    Well, the 7 rd ext. base mag on a CM9/PM9 doesn't really look bad, in my opinion:

I'm just wanting to see what the 8 rd ext. base mag looks like on the CM9.

Ah, found what I was looking for...

8 rd ext, CM9

I carry the flushest mag in the pistol for concealed carry and the largest extended grip mag for a reload on my belt opposite my IWB holstered Kahr.

For 9mm that's the K920G... 8 rounds with the extended grip to facilitate handling and for comfort, if it digs in my side. I'm not a fan of "pinky grips" and replace them whenever I can with the metal base plates, and lately the black ones which are even cheaper. I wish that they made those black metal ones for the Kahr .45's.

I maintain 3-4 standard capacity mags and 6-10 "high capacity" mags per pistol. At the range I use them all and mark the mags with a Sharpie if I have any malfunctions. For carry, I just use the ones with no marks.

The prices aren't current on the mags, but here's my post with pictures:

http://www.kahrtalk.com/showthread.p...=K920G+springs

Wynn
    USAF Retired '88, NRA Life Member. Wife USAF Retired '96
    Avatar: Wynn re-enlists his wife Desiree, circa 1988 Loring AFB, ME. 42nd BMW, Heavy (SAC) B-52G's
    Frédéric Bastiat’s essay, The Law: http://mises.org/books/thelaw.pdf

Thomas Jefferson said

“A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.”
    and

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

Thanks wyntrout.

I can pick up K920G (8 rd w/ ext. base) for $26.99 locally. I may just go ahead and grab those and if I end up hating the base, I can get steel replacements like you mentioned (wasn't aware those were available).

You stated that this was going to be a pocket pistol for you. Why would you want to use anything but 6 rounders? Personally, I have nothing but six rounders. Most reliable, best for carry of course. To me, loading six rounders at the range, instead of using 7 or 8 rounders is no big deal. The extra shot or two at the range means nothing to me. They seem to go real fast regardless. Using my maglula, I don't mind a bit more reloading, and it is just a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by tycoonbob View Post
    Well, the 7 rd ext. base mag on a CM9/PM9 doesn't really look bad, in my opinion:

I'm just wanting to see what the 8 rd ext. base mag looks like on the CM9.

You're right! I haven't seen that one before.

muggsy: Let's face it, being shot by a .380 will ruin anyone's day.

These are my PM9 and P9 carry mags... the flushest possible, and my P40 mags are similarly equipped:

My spares are the largest capacity Kahr mags available and I find the extended grip versions to be easier to handle and the least intrusive to my side:

I don't like or need the regular so-called "flush-fitting" polymer bases with the "pinky" rest.

If I wanted a big fat extended grip, I would carry my Glock 23C or 19.

In an emergency, 2 more rounds might make the difference. No one has ever survived a gunfight and complained of too much ammo. The extended mags are for the range OR emergency reloads.

Wynn
    USAF Retired '88, NRA Life Member. Wife USAF Retired '96
    Avatar: Wynn re-enlists his wife Desiree, circa 1988 Loring AFB, ME. 42nd BMW, Heavy (SAC) B-52G's
    Frédéric Bastiat’s essay, The Law: http://mises.org/books/thelaw.pdf

Thomas Jefferson said

“A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.”
    and

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

If I were you I'd stick with the six round mags. They're fairly trouble free. The others are problematic.
    Never trust anyone who doesn't trust you to own a gun.

Life Member - NRA
    Colt Gold Cup 70 series
    Colt Woodsman
    Ruger Mark III .22-45
    Kahr CM9
    Kahr P380