Tommy Gun   Magnum Research new   Kahr Shop   CrossBreed Holsters
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wide Spur Hammer & Stag Oh MY!

Default Wide Spur Hammer & Stag Oh MY!

I tackled the install of a wide spur hammer on my Remington R1 Thursday. The planets were not aligned and it was like a exercise in futility.
    Couldn't get the hammer strut pin out of the factory, super tight.
    So today I recalled I had a stash of 1911 parts so dug thru and found another hammer, strut and pin which came out comically easy.

Anticipating a tough deal like the factory I set it up on a vise, with a good punch and a medium size hammer. One good tap and if flew out the bottom and the punch went up to the hilt! Could have pushed it out without the hammer.

Now the comedy. I'm thinking sweet, didn't go too hard, can't be far. So I look on the floor, no good. Widen the search, no good. 30 - 45 minutes later, still no good, I need this damn pin.
    So I get systematical and start searching myself. Quite often a part ends up on my seat, in my front bag, in my shoe etc. So I start with right shoe, nothing. Take off left shoe and as luck would have it I see something fall out eureka. So I put shoe back on and look on the floor, nothing, nada, vaporized once again.
    Long story short, it fell out of my left shoe into my right shoe and I saw it in only a short while, ok 5 or 10 minutes.

Unlike Thursday, everything went well this time, I acted like I knew what I was doing and got the new hammer in easy. Even worked and functions.
    I did the test numerous times to make sure everything was latching up and I think we're good.

I do love a wide spur hammer. Also hung some stag on it. These were on my 42 Colt when I got it. I didn't like the looks. I started messing with them and saw that they must have put shellac or something on them. I took that off and they are better. Not totally happy but I see a happy ending.
    Some photo evidence. Contrary to what Jocko says, a 1911 is the most beautiful pistol in the world. I love you John Moses Browning.

In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

​O|||||||O

Looks good Col. B. ! A little drama makes the finished project so much better LOL... And a little man crush on JMB is OK too. Since getting my Sig TacOps 1911 I get it

Purty.

I just can't come with anything else to say, sorry.

Shaaaawiiiinnng!

Quote Originally Posted by BEARDOG View Post
    Looks good Col. B. ! A little drama makes the finished project so much better LOL... And a little man crush on JMB is OK too. Since getting my Sig TacOps 1911 I get it
    I'm glad you get it BEARDOG. Now I covet your dog and your TacOps. Both sweet.

I was just out introducing my pup to the neighbor Rottie. It was interesting.

Don't visit him very often, but a good looking dog for sure.

Pup was sure of a dog that big, kind of like our horses.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

LOL...If your neighbor Rottie is anything like mine he is a big sweetheart and loves people and other dogs. My boy cries when he sees other pups. Like when we are out walking or driving because he wants to go meet and play with them.

You can't have my boy Noris... But you can get a TacOps and on sale for a ridiculously great low price here. You know you need a rail gun
    http://www.firearmsforsale.com/sig-s...-xtgrip-black/

That's an insane good price. I really do need a rail gun. But according to my wife and my bank account or lack there of, not so much.

Some day though.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

I don't know about a 1911 being the sexiest pistol, BUT, if you hung some of that stag on an Italian Beretta 96 inox, now that would be a Schwinger I do like those " fat a$$" hammers though....................

I'm gonna start anudder fight here, but my preferred "carry" Colt .45 Auto's (aka 1911's) have their grip safety reworked to be minimalist. Whats not there cannot pinch you!

Add that with a wide hammer, and I'm about in heaven. If you do your calculation and re-work of the grip safety correctly, then you can still one hand the hammer down (safe) by using the spur on the hammer to depress the grip safety as you prepre to decock the hammer.

Nice nice piece there B'man!