Magnum Research new   CrossBreed Holsters   Xssights   Tommy Gun Shop
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Vehicle carry - My solution

Quote Originally Posted by Ikeo74 View Post
    I see 2 problems with the placement of your gun.

1) It is can be seen every time you get into or out of your car.

2) It could be flipped out of the holster if the door is slammed shut too hard.

Someone sees your gun when you exit the car and waits until you are out of sight, brakes your window and takes your gun.

Everyone is going to know you have a gun in your car and they might feel threatened by it.
    Good observations.

1) I recognized this as a potential problem and handle my parking and vehicle exit with that in mind. Most of the time, it is removed from the holster and placed in my pocket before exiting the vehicle.
    2) I do not believe this is possible, the arrangement is very secure. It would require a significant upward force to flip out of the holster.

Quote Originally Posted by wyntrout View Post
    If you're a lefty, that might work, but you would have to always remember to get the pistol out of sight every time you open the door. I still think it is a bad idea for the pistol NOT to be on your person. This precludes forgetting to put it back on every time you dismount... as at the gas pump... or a carjacker drags you out of your vehicle at gunpoint... or a cop asks you to step out of your vehicle!

Wynn
    I agree with all of wyntrout's comments especially about a cop wanting you to exit your vehicle in the event of a trafic stop . In Arizona it is recomended that if a CCW permit holder is involved in a traffic stop that you hand your permit along with your D.L. and inform them you are armed. A lot of times two officer's aproach the truck from opossing sides if the cop on the passenger side happens to see where your gun is it could get tense pretty quick before you have a chance to inform them of its location.
    " In God We Trust" I love my Country its the Government that I fear.
    Gun control isn't about guns, Its about Control.:32:

Quote Originally Posted by Southerngunner View Post
    I agree with all of wyntrout's comments especially about a cop wanting you to exit your vehicle in the event of a trafic stop . In Arizona it is recomended that if a CCW permit holder is involved in a traffic stop that you hand your permit along with your D.L. and inform them you are armed. A lot of times two officer's aproach the truck from opossing sides if the cop on the passenger side happens to see where your gun is it could get tense pretty quick before you have a chance to inform them of its location.
    Oklahoma law requires that I notify the officer upon initial contact that I have a weapon, something that I would do anyway or in any other state even if not required.

As far as the opposing side officer, or the near side officer for that matter, the gun is not visible from outside the truck. They would only see it if I open my door, which would only be done at their request, and by then I would have informed them of the weapon and permit.

I agree and think your good to go. Being the seat and stuff is there it can't be seen from the passenger side and not from the drivers side unless they stick their head in the window which ain't gonna happen.

Technically in Washington and it's up for debate all the time, if your carrying concealed in a vehicle and ordered out, the gun has to come with you and be on your person. You can't lay it on the seat or dash etc.

I've heard that this has changed and you can now do so, put it in the glove box, or seat or holster such as your doing.

It's still up for interpretation. The stupid thing is your allowed to leave your gun in your car unoccupied as long as the gun is out of sight and the vehicle is locked. Like you visit your kid at school and your foolish enough to follow their rules, you can leave it secured in the car.

Surprisingly most driver/officer contacts I've heard of from friends and such say the officer usually isn't concerned about a gun. Aware and cautious of course but not panicked. One guy had his gun in the glove box on top of his paperwork. He told the officer and he said to just put it on the seat and get the papers.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Quote Originally Posted by DavidS View Post
    Oklahoma law requires that I notify the officer upon initial contact that I have a weapon, something that I would do anyway or in any other state even if not required.

As far as the opposing side officer, or the near side officer for that matter, the gun is not visible from outside the truck. They would only see it if I open my door, which would only be done at their request, and by then I would have informed them of the weapon and permit.
    A Silverado is also my main vehicle and because I carry strong side and I am right handed I sometimes will either put the pistol in the center console or between my seat and the console so my seatbelt doesn't impare access while I'm driving.as soon as I shut off the truck my pistol is in my holster before I get out ,I never leave a gun in any vehicle anattended. If your method works for you that is all that matters.
    Regards,
    S.G.
    " In God We Trust" I love my Country its the Government that I fear.
    Gun control isn't about guns, Its about Control.:32:

I personally never take mine off when I'm in the vehicle. I have to here at work so I secure it before I get out but if I'm in the car, the gun is on me. I get forgetful anymore and don't like to leave nothing laying around.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Thanks for the encouragement Colonel.

I am quite comfortable with my choice. I appreciate everyone's concern but I have thought this through.

More comments would be welcome and I would be happy to address those concerns. Possibly something will come up that I have not considered. I do know that I need more work on left hand shooting.

I do about the same mount. I use the bar that goes across the front of the seat for adjustment to mount mine. I use a paddle just like you do, snap it over the bar. It is then between my legs in front, very easy to access. It is also out of view both entering and exiting and if an officer would come to the window.

I use a very strong magnet, made for that purpose, in the door pocket. At times I conceal it with a cloth cover as illustrated. Works for me...

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Center console has worked well for me. Police don't mind since I keep my paperwork in the glove box. When stopped, I hand them my DL and CC permit. And when asked if I am armed, tell them the gun is in the center console, and they just ask me not to open it during the stop. This has worked out with the locals, and the Hiway Patrol.
    Tom
    Live today, tomorrow may not come!
    Boberg XR9S
    Kahr CW40
    Springfield Armory 1911
    Dan Wesson Revolver

HY*NDAI is to cars, what Caracal, Hi-Point, and Jennings is to handguns. The cars may or may not run ok, but the corporation SUCKS.