Tommy Gun Shop   Magnum Research new   CrossBreed Holsters   Xssights
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Help this pistol packin' mama out! Will my Kahr accidentally discharge??

Default Help this pistol packin' mama out! Will my Kahr accidentally discharge??

I recently purchased the Kahr CW380 which has a very tight spring. I can only rack the slide to load a round about half the time because it is so difficult. I am considering carrying my CW380 with a round in the chamber to avoid having to chamber it if/when I need to draw. My only concern with carrying a round in the chamber is the possibility of an accidental discharge. I am not worried about the trigger being pulled accidentally; I am talking about it being bumped, etc. and discharging. Is it even possible for this to happen? If so, how likely? Thanks for the input!!!

Perfectly safe to carry with a round chambered. Foolish not to even if your the winner of the strong momma competition for the last 6 years running.

I do encourage you to shoot it ALOT and hope the spring weakens some. With that and some practice you might be able to manipulate the slide better. You should be able to clear a jam etc which isn't gonna happen the way it is now it sounds like.

There's a drop safety incorporated so short of actually pulling the trigger, the gun is not gonna fire.

That being said, proper finger control and holster are still a must.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

And welcome to the forum. Glad you found us. Plenty of smart help here along with me and some of the other not so smart folks too.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

^^^ none smarter than the advice you just got from Bawanna. Welcome.
    ​O|||||||O

Thank you for the welcomes! I can clear a jam but it takes a great deal of effort. I usually shoot about 50 rounds per week and will continue to do so to increase my proficiency and accuracy. I just ordered a hard holster that will completely cover the trigger so I think I will be very comfortable with the safety of my pistol while it is in the holster, even with a round in the chamber. I read somewhere that Kahr does not recommend that you slingshot the slide to load a round; in other words, a full magazine should be inserted, then she slide lock should be released to load a round. Is this accurate? Obviously it is easier for me to load up this way.

That's the way they recommend it. After a time it will become easier and a properly executed sling shot will work. It will work now if applied properly.

But as you say in your instance the slide lock release is probably the best way to go.

50 rounds a week is perfect in my opinion too. Not overdoing it but gaining confidence and experience.

I don't get out much and I tend to shoot a whole lot when I do which is usually counter productive. After a couple hundred rounds the benefits generally decrease rapidly.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

Just out of curiosity, are you racking the slide properly? By that I mean with the heel of your off hand against the slide and all four fingers wrapped over the top of the slide. If not you might try that method. Grasping the rear of the slide between the thumb and index is not going to get the job done.
    Never trust anyone who doesn't trust you to own a gun.

Life Member - NRA
    Colt Gold Cup 70 series
    Colt Woodsman
    Ruger Mark III .22-45
    Kahr CM9
    Kahr P380

I was under the impression that was not the safest way to rack the slide......? I can rack the slide much easier that way but I have been trying to use my thumb and index because I thought that was the proper way to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by mandapru View Post
    I was under the impression that was not the safest way to rack the slide......? I can rack the slide much easier that way but I have been trying to use my thumb and index because I thought that was the proper way to do it.

Here is some racking info from the Cornered Cat website
    http://www.corneredcat.com/article/r...ack-the-slide/

Quote Originally Posted by mandapru View Post
    You are new to handguns aren't you? The method that I described is the proper method of chambering a round. Carrying without a round in the chamber is far more dangerous to you than carrying with a round in the chamber. Carrying without a round in the chamber is the same as carrying an empty gun. Trying to load a round into the chamber while under the stress of an attack is a prescription for failure. Carry you gun in a holster that covers the trigger and keep that chamber loaded. If your gun is always carried loaded there will never be a question in your mind whether it's loaded or not. It will be. You need more training and trigger time.
    Last edited by muggsy; 06-10-2014 at 02:37 PM.
    Never trust anyone who doesn't trust you to own a gun.

Life Member - NRA
    Colt Gold Cup 70 series
    Colt Woodsman
    Ruger Mark III .22-45
    Kahr CM9
    Kahr P380