Tommy Gun   Magnum Research new   Crimsontrace   Kahr Shop
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Help this pistol packin' mama out! Will my Kahr accidentally discharge??

Default Help this pistol packin' mama out! Will my Kahr accidentally discharge??

Heres a video for women on how to rack the slide

http://www.youtube.com/embed/9Q8ZRlkdWVc?feature=oembed
    Rest in peace Muggsy

"Individual Muslims may show splendid qualities, but the influence of the religion paralyses the social development of those who follow it. No stronger retrograde force exists in the world." Winston Churchill 1899

I need more training and trigger time? Do you mean before I carry?? I prefer to not be treated like I am incompetent just because I am new. I don't think anyone ever reaches a point of not needing more practice.

I think the reason I have been directed to the slingshot method is to ensure my hand does not cover the ejection port. At the time I didn't know why I was told not to rack the slide that way.

Thank you, BEARDOG for that link!

Thank you, SlowBurn! That video was also helpful!!

Bawanna is correct that no bumps and jars and such are going to make your Kahr go bang. The striker is not tensioned fully, and, its locked from moving forward, and the surfaces that hold it in place are very robust for the task they do.

I have concern though, about your slide racking ability. Gun safety is more than just not having the gun go bang accidentally through unintended occurrance. A far greater part is safe handling of the firearm. And part of that is being able to chamber, and UNCHAMBER a cartridge without some sort of situational difficulty.

This is not a new thing for many women, and even some men. Part of using an autoloader is being able to rack the slide successfully. If the shooter lacks strength or manual dexterity to do so... there can be complications, some with regard to safety. When I taught safety, it was my opinion that the hammerless (or concealed hammer) revolver was the safest handgun for those with inadequate strength or dexterity. That is - because there is no need for "decocking" as they're all double action only. And because the push of a button to open a cylinder is easier than racking back a slide.

Not sure were you fall in the strength/dexterity department. I will say that some ladie's fingernails presented a problem for them. You'll need to do whats best for you and your present level of ability.

There is no shame, no slight or defamation for those who cannot rack the slide of some autoloaders. Its all just a matter of safe firearms handling.

And welcome aboard!

muggsy you are right ( hey did I just say you are right?) my thought exactly, if you choose to carry a gun then make the gun ready to use. Always when carrying keep a round in the camber ready to use. The testing they do on the guns these days you can drop the off the roof of a house and they are still safe. Have been adding traction tape to the groves for some of the people I know that don’t have the hand strength and it has helped them

http://www.kahrtalk.com/showthread.php?t=21958
    Last edited by Harrylee; 06-10-2014 at 07:03 AM.
    Rest in peace old sailor Mike
    In Memory of Mom: Standing 4'11" She would say come here so I can hit you as I looked down at her
    As my Olde buddy Jake said point at the belt buckle and muzzle rise will take care of the rest
    Live a little learn a lot

Default Re: Help this pistol packin' mama out! Will my Kahr accidentally discharge??

Quote Originally Posted by mandapru View Post
    I need more training and trigger time? Do you mean before I carry?? I prefer to not be treated like I am incompetent just because I am new. I don't think anyone ever reaches a point of not needing more practice.

I think the reason I have been directed to the slingshot method is to ensure my hand does not cover the ejection port. At the time I didn't know why I was told not to rack the slide that way.

I don't think they are treating you like you are incompetent because you are new. The folks on here are very confident and comfortable in their knowledge of Kahr weapons. Sometimes what is obvious to us, may come across different to you.

Practice. Practice. Practice, and carry with confidence.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk
    (this space intentionally left blank)

Quote Originally Posted by mandapru View Post

Welcome to the forum and don't let the know it all folk get to you.

I don't use the hand over the slide or whatever they call it these days method either. Never have, never will, and I've been carrying semi-autos for over 50 years. Kahrs, especially when new, respond less well to slingshot than most firearms. Kahr's recommendation is to chamber first round release from slide lock. Over time their guns will loosen up enough to reliably slingshot, but I wouldn't rely on it in crisis. As with any modern semi-auto, a round in the chamber is safe and best practice.
    NRA Benefactor

Thank you, Itxi!

I was wondering if the spring would loosen over time. I knew the CW380 was known to have a very tight spring out of the box but did not know it would be THIS tight... it's rough.

Like I said, I am not uncomfortable carrying with a round in the chamber because I have a good holster on order that will completely cover the trigger. I was more concerned about the possibility of an accidental discharge. Like, if the gun gets bumped, or hit for some reason I wondered if it could go off.

Default Help this pistol packin' mama out! Will my Kahr accidentally discharge??

It is impossible for the gun to fire without pulling the trigger. The striker can't hit the primer without pulling the trigger.

If you carry in a purse have a separate pocket for gun and holster.

Enjoy and yes the spring will loosen up!

Congrats and shoot on sister.
    This place isn't safe.

Don't let anybody here scare ya off mandapru. We're here to help and I offer you my protection.

Pedro
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."