Xssights   Tommy Gun Shop   Kahr Shop   Mitch Rosen
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Advice on opposite hand shooting?

Quote Originally Posted by DavidS View Post
    ....One piece of really good news. With my wrist action, I was really expecting a fail to eject like I had during break in. No such thing, the MK40 ran like a champ...

Thanks for the help.
    Good deal. I had to practice quite a bit to be able to shoot the MK9 left handed without a jam. 8.5x11 inch accuracy is just fine too (7 yards?).

I've had to shoot left handed, from retention, in IDPA. The goal there is an 8 inch circle at about 5 feet. By the time you resort to shooting with your weak hand only, you are happy to just do damage...things are getting desperate.

It's a good thing to practice and thanks for the reminder.

(Retention is point shooting with your elbow tucked into your side...not looking down the sights at all.)
    ​O|||||||O

If you shoot left-handed with your normal right eye dominant, you will probably bend your wrist and have recoil that's not aligned with your arm. You might try switching to the left eye and even close the right one to establish "normal" alignment of the pistol, wrist, and your arm.

In the end, it's what ever works best for you after some practice. I suck at weak hand shooting and don't do much of it.

Wynn
    USAF Retired '88, NRA Life Member. Wife USAF Retired '96
    Avatar: Wynn re-enlists his wife Desiree, circa 1988 Loring AFB, ME. 42nd BMW, Heavy (SAC) B-52G's
    Frédéric Bastiat’s essay, The Law: http://mises.org/books/thelaw.pdf

Thomas Jefferson said

“A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.”
    and

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

Yes, 7 yards.

Upstate NY - (nothing like NYC). In remote country with thousands of acres of hunting.

Good to practice strong AND weak sides.
    My Sword - PM4044N/CTL/Talons
    - "One should diligently train at all times." Miyamoto Musashi
    - "Train in technique until it requires no thought - no mind and just happens." Takan Soho
    - "The truth beyond the technique....Here's where we stop thinking and start shooting." Brian Enos
    - "A single sword against the cold sky." Yamaoka Tesshu
    - "You must concentrate upon and consecrate yourself wholly to each day, as though a fire were raging in your hair."
    Taisen Deshimaru
    - "Know your sword!"

I shoot at least one mag with my off hand (one hand only) every time I go to the range.

I view it as an essential piece of training, but that's just me.

Upstate NY - (nothing like NYC). In remote country with thousands of acres of hunting.

Quote Originally Posted by AIRret View Post
    I shoot at least one mag with my off hand (one hand only) every time I go to the range.

I view it as an essential piece of training, but that's just me.

That's a good approach and I agree that doing this helps. We shoot weak hand in IDPA....at times....and it is good training.
    My Sword - PM4044N/CTL/Talons
    - "One should diligently train at all times." Miyamoto Musashi
    - "Train in technique until it requires no thought - no mind and just happens." Takan Soho
    - "The truth beyond the technique....Here's where we stop thinking and start shooting." Brian Enos
    - "A single sword against the cold sky." Yamaoka Tesshu
    - "You must concentrate upon and consecrate yourself wholly to each day, as though a fire were raging in your hair."
    Taisen Deshimaru
    - "Know your sword!"

I find it easier to cant my head when shooting left handed to be able to use my right eye. Canting the gun causes me to shoot high and to the right.
    Never trust anyone who doesn't trust you to own a gun.

Life Member - NRA
    Colt Gold Cup 70 series
    Colt Woodsman
    Ruger Mark III .22-45
    Kahr CM9
    Kahr P380

I also cant my head to use the dominant eye; if I cant the gun my hits tend to go that way. I make the effort to keep the gun straight, control the press, and follow the recoil pulse; just like strong hand in reverse.

practicing weak/strong hand, freestyle whenever you practice will do wonders for confidence abilities.

NRA LIFER
    IDPA BELEIVER

So...I shoot cross eyed sorta maybe. I am right hand dominate and left eye dominate. I shoot all my pistols right handed, but use my left eye. Rifles, I shoot 100% left handed, always have.

Anyway, shooting left handed I shoot almost as good with one hand as both, I think it's because I'm finally using the same eye and hand. Shooting right handed, I tend to cant to the left a bit, and shoot okay, nothing fancy. Left handed, straight up, tight groups, makes me smile.
    NRA Benefactor

I have to work on things all of the time......................it's a b!t@h to be right handed and left eye dominant. You would be surprised at how many people don't even consider which eye is dominant. I don't know what they are looking at............................and they don't know how to check to find out which is their dominant eye.