Magnum Research new   Tommy Gun   Xssights   Mitch Rosen
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Advice on opposite hand shooting?

Default Advice on opposite hand shooting?

I am right handed. I need to learn to shoot with my left.

Before I head out to the range, any specific things I should watch out for to help the process along? Thanks.

Take your time and remember whatever training you've had and just apply it to shooting left handed.

It really is that simple. Don't worry about trying to shoot with your left eye, though. Shooting a handgun with your weak hand and dominant eye will have little to no effect on poa/poi. Some may disagree with that statement but myself and many others who were/are in the military were taught this way.

You just might surprise yourself and find out you are more accurate shooting with your weak hand as you really have to pay attention to the basics. I've only shot weak handed unsupported, never have tried supported. Reason being is the main reason one would have to shoot weak hand is your strong hand/arm has been incapacitated.

Good luck and have some fun with it!

Quote Originally Posted by AJBert View Post
    I've only shot weak handed unsupported, never have tried supported. Reason being is the main reason one would have to shoot weak hand is your strong hand/arm has been incapacitated.
    Very good point! Appreciated.

David, I assume you will be shooting one-handed? Otherwise, if your right hand/arm is not wounded, you would likely fight with your dominant hand in command.

When shooting left handed, and using your right dominant eye, cant the gun to the right slightly. The sights will align with your right eye.
    NRA Life Member

"Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician." -Col Jeff Cooper

Quote Originally Posted by RRP View Post
    David, I assume you will be shooting one-handed? Otherwise, if your right hand/arm is not wounded, you would likely fight with your dominant hand in command.

When shooting left handed, and using your right dominant eye, cant the gun to the right slightly. The sights will align with your right eye.
    Agreed.

In the fall of 2011 I had to switch strong hand permanently and I found dry fire practice extremely important! Concentrate on the grip, sight picture and trigger pull. Another words the basics. Keep up the dry fire until it feels fairly
    natural.

Quote Originally Posted by RRP View Post
    It doesn't matter if the sights are aligned with either eye, as long as the sights and eye are aligned to the target. The reason one doesn't shoot a long gun this way is you would have to put your face across the stock in order to align the sights/scope with the off eye. Laying your face across the stock and pulling the trigger tends to get one new markings on the face, sometimes with blood dripping. Plus, it is very uncomfortable.

In other words, as long as the sight axis is from the eye through the sights to the target it doesn't matter which eye or which hand you are using.

AJbert

Masaad Ayoob also suggests a person try the tilting method because for some
    people it works better.

Watch out for slide bites with the "new" supporting hand. I don't know what to do with that "strong hand" when trying to adapt to the left hand... got a few slide bites.

Wynn
    USAF Retired '88, NRA Life Member. Wife USAF Retired '96
    Avatar: Wynn re-enlists his wife Desiree, circa 1988 Loring AFB, ME. 42nd BMW, Heavy (SAC) B-52G's
    Frédéric Bastiat’s essay, The Law: http://mises.org/books/thelaw.pdf

Thomas Jefferson said

“A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.”
    and

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

The only way I'll ever be shooting with my left hand is if my normal right hand is gone or so messed up it can't hold and fire a gun. If it's gone I see no reason to survive anyhow so might be an incentive to win.

When I practice weak hand (not as often as I should) it's one hand only. My left hand is pretty much cosmetic and balance only. I can't do much with it. I guess it does ok on a keyboard so I guess it does have a reason to exist. Just not much.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Thanks for all the tips.
    First thing I did was try some dry firing. As several commented, the sight alignment was not far off from the very beginning. I was a still a little surprised at how close it was using my right eye.
    Next I went down to the range to let go a few rounds. I did this unsupported, again as suggested by other members. I was not going after tight grouping accuracy, I just wanted to fire off rounds as fast as I could acquire the target to see where I stood. After the first two somewhat errant rounds, I managed to keep the rest on and 8.5 by 11 sheet of paper. I was a little surprised by this also.
    My biggest surprise was how weak my left hand/wrist was compared to my right. Hence the first two errant rounds. I was really expecting a little more stability.
    One piece of really good news. With my wrist action, I was really expecting a fail to eject like I had during break in. No such thing, the MK40 ran like a champ.

That is about the gist of it. There are a couple other things I noted that I need to work on but I think I am off to a good start. More range time definitely needed.

Thanks for the help.