Xssights   Tommy Gun   Tommy Gun Shop   Crimsontrace

Thread: Recurring recoil assembly problem

Default Recurring recoil assembly problem

Has anybody else had a problem with little cap falling off of the guide rod? When it falls off, you can see exposed threads where the guide rod protrudes from the slide beneath the barrel. Apparently it functions fine without it (unless I miraculously notice it immediately after it falls off). This has happened twice. It costs ~20$ to replace it (the whole assembly must be replaced). I figure a little red loctite will fix it - I know I won't be able to remove it but, so what? You have to replace the whole assembly when anything happens anyway.... Anybody else have this happen, other solutions?

They should be loctited from the factory but we have seen them fly off. If you could find the nut or do like Wyn and make a nut and round it off it can be reinstalled.

I'd loctite it, I check mine periodically at the range for signs of it loosening. If it ever does I'll probably spot weld or silver solder it. Your right, no need to take it off.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Clean any solvent off and Red Loctite it! It's supposed to be a permanent union, but stuff happens! Mostly the danged nut disappears and you have to buy a whole assembly.

If it's a fairly new pistol... really in warranty... Kahr might send you whole new assembly for free. Email them with pix, but the Loctite should fix that.

Kahr sent me a new assembly and I made a nut for the old assembly as a spare:

http://www.kahrtalk.com/showthread.p...ake+flange+nut

Wynn
    USAF Retired '88, NRA Life Member. Wife USAF Retired '96
    Avatar: Wynn re-enlists his wife Desiree, circa 1988 Loring AFB, ME. 42nd BMW, Heavy (SAC) B-52G's
    Frédéric Bastiat’s essay, The Law: http://mises.org/books/thelaw.pdf

Thomas Jefferson said

“A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.”
    and

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

Thanks a lot - both! Your replies make me feel a lot better about the loctite nsolution - I am going to do that immediately when the new one comes in.

IMO there is no real need to change that inner recoil spring so locktite kthe fokker on. Red is super, it won't come off. The green will guarantee it will never come off and u don't hav eto take the nut off to apply it either. It is designed to be put on when a fastener/nut is already on and tight. It will penetrate.

Ihave over 32K rounds out of my pMJ 9 and have never replaced the inner spring. Just not sumpin u need to do IMO. replace the outter at ur desires, buy um direct from wolffs gunsprings, alot lower in price, no hassles, and they offer two weights, factory and a tad more in strengtg if u desire.

wolffs makes kahrs springs o ur not lowering urself either.

The woffs site will show springs for the PM( and PM40, these springs will fit the cm9 and cm40 and also will fit the beveled newer slide versions of the pm9 and cm40-. so what I am saying tonot confuse u, is if u own any pm9, pm40 or cm9 or cm40 PERIOD their springs are all the same NOW.

I would suggest though if u have a cm or pm40 to buy the tad more strength outter spring, not that u willget a noticeable less felt recoil but the spring should last longer overall..
    . My PM9 has over 40,000+ rounds through it, and runs much better than an illegal trying to get across our border

NRA BENEFACTOR MEMBER

MAY GOD BLESS MUGGSY

Quote Originally Posted by jocko View Post
    The woffs site will show springs for the PM( and PM40, these springs will fit the cm9 and cm40 and also will fit the beveled newer slide versions of the pm9 and cm40-. so what I am saying tonot confuse u, is if u own any pm9, pm40 or cm9 or cm40 PERIOD their springs are all the same NOW.
    So is Wolff making a different spring then they did a few years ago?
    Are the springs I have on hand for my blunt PM9 also good for my CM9?
    I haven't even thought about it until now...
    If a sign could stop evil….They’d make holsters for them!!

the recoil springs that wolffs makes today will fit all cm or pm kahr 9 or 40 cal. Kahr has went back to the 13 coil recoil springs inb the cm models instead of the 15 coil that was a real PITA to get in, .
    This is the same recoil spring that wolffs has made for the PM since they put it on their webb site, but today it will fuit the cm models now to. U can buy the 20.5 po8ndage recoil outter spring and in ur 40 cal it shoul.d be a real winner. it should last longer..
    . My PM9 has over 40,000+ rounds through it, and runs much better than an illegal trying to get across our border

NRA BENEFACTOR MEMBER

MAY GOD BLESS MUGGSY

Yep, had to check it out and they're virtually the same depending on how you count the coils.
    No significant difference in set length.
    Guide rods are different...obviously.

Snapped an interesting pic
    Attached Images Attached Images
    If a sign could stop evil….They’d make holsters for them!!

Yep, I had one fly off and never noticed it till I got home from the range and cleaned the gun. Gun was new at the time and Kahr replaced it free, but I had also sent it in to do the barrel ramp circumcision because I broke two magazine followers. As a testament to the gun's reliability, the gun never skipped a beat with two broken followers and a broken guide rod. That was all within first 150 rounds.

I now have about 650 rounds through with no problems.