Tommy Gun Shop   Kahr Shop   Tommy Gun   Mitch Rosen

Thread: Civil War Project Complete

Upstate NY - (nothing like NYC). In remote country with thousands of acres of hunting.

Default Civil War Project Complete

It's Father's Day and a perfect day to pay tribute to my GG Grandfather Jacob who served the Union in the Civil war, with the 1st Regiment West Virginia Volunteer Calvary and fought at Appomattox. It took me about a year of so to collect all the civil war items and decide how to display my gg grandfather and his service medal. I built the frame out of cherry (I've had stored since 1980's and used to build my kids beds) and covered it with UV picture frame glass. His photo is on the right center with his service medal to the left of him. We made a replica of his regiment Guidon Flag copied from one preserved. The photo on the bottom left is the 1st Reg cav. The photo bottom center is of the Union troops holding the Appomattox Court house the day Lee surrendered to Grant. Next to that is a Union belt buckle (US). Below right are an unfired and fired .58 cal Minie bullet (500 gr) certified to be from Appomattox. Just below his photo is a period nail, as he was a carpenter. The other pins are cross sword and US cav pins worn by his reg. It hangs over my reloading bench. A tribute to my GG Grandfather, who served the Union and lived through that Hell. (sorry the picture is turned, but you get the idea). Thanks for viewing.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    My Sword - PM4044N/CTL/Talons
    - "One should diligently train at all times." Miyamoto Musashi
    - "Train in technique until it requires no thought - no mind and just happens." Takan Soho
    - "The truth beyond the technique....Here's where we stop thinking and start shooting." Brian Enos
    - "A single sword against the cold sky." Yamaoka Tesshu
    - "You must concentrate upon and consecrate yourself wholly to each day, as though a fire were raging in your hair."
    Taisen Deshimaru
    - "Know your sword!"

How so very cool is THAT! Good job, kudos!

Gary,
    That is an incredible ShadowBox!
    Great Story
    Great Job!
    My New Web Store!
    www.teampython.com
    __________________________________________________ _____
    The loudest sound in the world is a “click” when you need a “bang.”

A wonderful tribute.
    I really like cherry wood, too.

Great job gary.
    ​O|||||||O

Very very cool.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Nicely done garyb
    Regards,
    Greg
    [<a href=http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif target=_blank>http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif</a>

Upstate NY - (nothing like NYC). In remote country with thousands of acres of hunting.

Immigration back then....
    My gggrandfather was an immigrant from Switzerland. He came over with his parents and sisters around 1851 and settled in PA. He worked as a logger, then a boilermaker for the railroad...probably on the engines. He also worked as a carpenter and built the church in their neighborhood and served as an elder and respected figure in his town. When there was a call to arms, he volunteered with his brother-in-law. They left their large families and traveled from northern PA to MD to enlist in the WV volunteer cavalry where they could serve on horses....likely because they were very familiar with horses back in his homeland. His brother-in-law was in the same regiment and likely fought side by side...both living through the war and returning home together. His pay for his service was $33.33...total. He was offered his horse for $3, but turned it down...probably because it cost too much and/or he had no use for it at home.

The point is, he worked. There was no welfare back then. He did not suck off the government paid for by his neighbors. He contributed, supported his family and served his new country, after living in America for only 13 yrs. That is not how our country has immigration designed today. To those immigrants who work and serve...I salute you. That is what this country is about and I know my gggrandfather would agree. Honor and pride.

Also, thanks for your kind comments. Much Appreciated.
    My Sword - PM4044N/CTL/Talons
    - "One should diligently train at all times." Miyamoto Musashi
    - "Train in technique until it requires no thought - no mind and just happens." Takan Soho
    - "The truth beyond the technique....Here's where we stop thinking and start shooting." Brian Enos
    - "A single sword against the cold sky." Yamaoka Tesshu
    - "You must concentrate upon and consecrate yourself wholly to each day, as though a fire were raging in your hair."
    Taisen Deshimaru
    - "Know your sword!"