Tommy Gun   Magnum Research new   Mitch Rosen   CrossBreed Holsters
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 9mm 1911's

Thanks Bawanna, I was going to ask and say that. Call me old fashioned and what not. I like my 1911's caliber to start with a 4 and end with a 5. I might like a 38 super but that is an old school load with that platform as well. Just sayin...
    Attitude: it takes 43 muscles to frown, 17 to smile...and 3 for proper trigger squeeze.

The olive branch is considered a symbol of peace, and good will. Last time I checked, it's still a switch.

Quote Originally Posted by jlottmc View Post
    Thanks Bawanna, I was going to ask and say that. Call me old fashioned and what not. I like my 1911's caliber to start with a 4 and end with a 5. I might like a 38 super but that is an old school load with that platform as well. Just sayin...

I couldn’t agree with you and bawanna more. The 1911 in .45 is the way it should be, almost sacrilege to have it in 9mm! But I think the original Commander was designed around the 9mm. So I figured, why not have 1 in 9mm and 1 in .45? I like the 1911 platform, my wallet likes the price of 9mm and I shoot it better at Steel Challenge. Then again, if I just upgraded the sights on the GI, I’d probably do a whole lot better!
    "Leave the gun. Take the cannoli." Clemenza, The Godfather
    "I like a man who grins when he fights" Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by medezyner View Post
    I couldn’t agree with you and bawanna more. The 1911 in .45 is the way it should be, almost sacrilege to have it in 9mm! But I think the original Commander was designed around the 9mm. So I figured, why not have 1 in 9mm and 1 in .45? I like the 1911 platform, my wallet likes the price of 9mm and I shoot it better at Steel Challenge. Then again, if I just upgraded the sights on the GI, I’d probably do a whole lot better!
    Absolutely correct, in fact I said that mostly so you wouldn't be so anxious to sell your GI but then you were talking getting a different 45 so guess it's all ok. Your Commander is a gem for sure, just keep the 45 too.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

I want one of these really badly right now so I can shoot in the Custom Defense Pistol IDPA class and share ammo with my SSP and ESP guns. I've been looking at Kimber and Wilson. I didn't think about Springer. I'll have to check them out.

Here's the MA approved firearms list and generally what will be available new through an FFL. However, in the People's Anti-Gun Republic, you aren't done yet because this list gets winnowed down further by the Attorney General's super secret approved list. It's kind of like being on Dean Wormer's "double secret probation" in Animal House. The AGs list is why you can't buy new Glocks in MA. *sigh*

However, Bawanna is right in that there's a lot of stuff pre-1998 that's available for purchase. Plus, there is a stream of stuff that's brought into the state by people who get unlucky enough to move here. Those items generally have to be done in a face-to-face transaction on a FA10 because an FFL can't transfer it to you.

I'd check out the for sale forum at North East Shooters if you're looking for something a bit exotic. You can get a few out of the ordinary items there in face-to-face transactions.

I'm also with the 1911 45 guys. I find the recoil on a 45 very manageable.

This is the only MA compliant 1911 in 9mm - a S&W 1911 Pro Series #178017. It lists for $ 1,489.00. I've seen them at just under $ 1,100.00 in MA. They're as good as many "boutique" brands that sell for much more.

The new "list" should be out this month, but as you know that still doesn't mean than guns on the list comply with the AG's requirements.

Your only alternative is to buy a frame and have one "gunsmithed". You can do this at Remsport in Ludlow - they make frames, slides, barrels for some high end 1911 manufacturers.

"There is nothing more exhilarating than to be shot at without result!"
    ~Sir Winston Churchill

Good call, robmcd. I forgot about Remsport although I see his ads on North East Shooters a lot. All the feedback there is very positive, and if I recall correctly he's having a frame special too.

Lets say it's armegeddon and the last habitable place on earth is MA, so I load up the truck and move there. Can I bring guns I already own or does the AG have to give me his blessing at the border.

I admit this is rather a nightmare of a scenario so those with weak constitutions should probably not stay tuned any longer.

Obviously people who owned regular nice guns like everyone else before 98 or whenever your state legislature lost their minds have to be grandfathered in correct.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Quote Originally Posted by Bawanna45cal View Post
    Lets say it's armegeddon and the last habitable place on earth is MA, so I load up the truck and move there. Can I bring guns I already own or does the AG have to give me his blessing at the border.
    Let me say that I am not a lawyer and this should not be construed as any kind of legal advice. With that said, you can bring most things with you when you come. You just have to register them on an FA10 with the state. So, for example, you could bring brand new Glocks with you and register them although you would not be able to purchase said items through an FFL.

In fact, you could make a nice little profit bringing a few Gen4 Glock 19s with you, and selling them face-to-face although individuals are only allowed 4 of those transactions per year.

Most people misunderstand MA compliance. It primarily effects what an FFL dealer can transfer to you, not what you can bring if you're moving to the state as an individual or what you might be able to purchase from another individual in a face-to-face transaction assuming they have the right class of License to Carry (LTC) for said weapon.

There are 2 things that you should be aware of though:

1. Any high capacity mags, defined as holding more than 10 rounds, that were made after 9/13/1994, assuming you aren't a LEO, need to be ditched. Possession of such is a felony. Any mags that were made prior to that date are legal, and there's a nice little market in selling them.
    2. We also live with a lot of restrictions on assault weapons. If you're going to bring anything like that into the state, you want to do some research on it so you don't get yourself in trouble.

I'd recommend that anybody moving into the state contact the local constabulary to get themselves right with the law ASAP.