Mitch Rosen   Tommy Gun   Crimsontrace   Magnum Research new

Thread: ????

Default ????

Ok, I'm new to the pistol competition scene. No idea what IDPA even means. I have seen action pistol competition ,and a little .22 steel competition. Maybe a tutorial on the different competitions are, including the lexicon. That way everyone will understand and maybe become interested in different shooting competitions. Thanks

IDPA stands for International Defensive Pistol Association.

Ive yet to shoot a match but it sure looks fun.

Heres a little peak into the "classifier".
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcgsd9_cBm8

And the IDPA home page.
    http://www.idpa.com

IDPA is a scenario based match. Normally you are tasked with shooting your targets in a prescribed order. I will be participating in a local match this Friday. It is time/accuracy based scoring. The saying for the classifier is that "You can't miss fast enough". I have added a picture of one of the stages for this Friday. I hope you will be able to open it. Shooting this is a lot more fun than just plain punching holes in paper. You also get a feel for how you really shoot. What I mean is that shooting from a bench and making nice tight groups is good but that is usually slow fire, good light no movement. You can have all kinds of things you need to cope with when shooting IDPA. You can ignore the zip file it is the same as the picture.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files

Glock Sport Shooting Federation also has lots of competitions all over the fruited plain.
    Wake Up...Grow Up...Show Up...Sit Up...Shut Up...Listen Up

very helpful, thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DLButler View Post
    .... You also get a feel for how you really shoot... .
    +1 and you also get a feel for what handgun actually works for you should you ever need it. I chose to shoot IDPA with a handgun that is deadly accurate for me at the range but I quickly discovered that I was not that good with it in a real world scenario. I am focusing on shooting IDPA with my carry guns now.
    ​O|||||||O

Upstate NY - (nothing like NYC). In remote country with thousands of acres of hunting.

If you have questions on IDPA, the best way to get them answered is to find a local range that sponsors IDPA events. Then go visit a shoot...speak with the shooters...follow a shooter around. Go an hour early and attend the new shooters safety training session. The guys will help you understand the event. It WILL teach you excellent gun handling skills and you WILL be better able to defend yourself should you need to. You can talk about it, read about it, etc... But until you go and watch an event, then participate in one, you will never fully appreciate what it is all about. Fun training.
    My Sword - PM4044N/CTL/Talons
    - "One should diligently train at all times." Miyamoto Musashi
    - "Train in technique until it requires no thought - no mind and just happens." Takan Soho
    - "The truth beyond the technique....Here's where we stop thinking and start shooting." Brian Enos
    - "A single sword against the cold sky." Yamaoka Tesshu
    - "You must concentrate upon and consecrate yourself wholly to each day, as though a fire were raging in your hair."
    Taisen Deshimaru
    - "Know your sword!"

don't worry about bullseye accuratecy, this is combat/defensive shooting, neutralizing a threat; center mass down zero/down one is your goal.

NRA LIFER
    IDPA BELEIVER