Tommy Gun   Magnum Research new   Kahr Shop   Tommy Gun Shop

Thread: CM40, First Impressions

Default CM40, First Impressions

I had picked up my CM40 on Monday. I took it out for a test run yesterday. First, I am right-handed, left eye dominant. The short sight radius was a little challenging. Everything went left. More practice!

I started by shooting Freedom Munitions 180 FMJ reloads. First 4 mags feed well. I tried a couple of mags of Fiocchi 170 FMJ, got 3 ftf. Went back to the FM, no problems with next 3 mags. Went back to Fiocchi, 4 ftf in 3 mags. I checked followers on my two mags, nothing cracked or broken. Tried a couple more mags of FM FMJ and some of their JHP XTPs. Also had some Winchester Ranger BJHP. No problems with any of those. Looks like the Fiocchi bullets have a sharper angle, not as rounded as the others.

A shoot some more Fiocchi after the hollow points. More ftfs. I went to load the mags again, Broken Follower! I don't know if it happened after the hollow points, or the Fiocchi. I won't use them in the Kahr again. Looks like a call to Kahr is in order. I am glad that I took advantage of the free mag promotion.

Overall, seems like a good shooting gun. I didn't mind the recoil. Definitely more than my XD40 service, but similar to my Glock 27. I definitely need to work on my sight picture. I didn't have anything in the way of tight groups at 7 yards. I will be very selective with the type of bullets that I use. Maybe the bullet shape is one of the causes of the ftf/broken follower problems.

You might try changing the position of your trigger finger. When the trigger breaks you finger pressure must be perpendicular to the bore axis or you'll pull or push the shot. Check out the threads on broken followers. Your pistol may need a rampectomy performed on the barrel.
    Never trust anyone who doesn't trust you to own a gun.

Life Member - NRA
    Colt Gold Cup 70 series
    Colt Woodsman
    Ruger Mark III .22-45
    Kahr CM9
    Kahr P380

Quote Originally Posted by muggsy View Post
    You might try changing the position of your trigger finger. When the trigger breaks you finger pressure must be perpendicular to the bore axis or you'll pull or push the shot. Check out the threads on broken followers. Your pistol may need a rampectomy performed on the barrel.
    Thanks for the advice. I did notice shot placement was a little better when I had the middle of the first pad of my index finger on the trigger. I have read a lot about the broken followers. Seems to be a common problem. Could it have broken during a failure to feed? The slide might have slammed the round at an odd angle perhaps?

Quote Originally Posted by Brownie65 View Post
    Thanks for the advice. I did notice shot placement was a little better when I had the middle of the first pad of my index finger on the trigger. I have read a lot about the broken followers. Seems to be a common problem. Could it have broken during a failure to feed? The slide might have slammed the round at an odd angle perhaps?
    No. Polymer frames flex and there's not a lot of clearance at the bottom of the feed ramp. If you break another follower, Kahr will want the pistol back so they can trim it for you.
    ​O|||||||O

My P380 has been flawless since the first 100 rounds EXCEPT, it will not chamber the Fiocchi 380 rounds. My wife's Colt Pony won't shoot them either but the Kahr will not even bring one to battery. So maybe it is a "family" problem. I'm not relating the FTF to the broken follower, just commenting that my Kahr doesn't like Fiocchi either. She shoots everything else just fine... So I'll be avoiding the Fiocchis.

Here is a link to another interesting discussion about Fiocchi, see comment #13 - http://www.kahrtalk.com/showthread.p...382#post301382

Thanks to Jollyrogers who posted this in another thread.

The Fiocchi won't take a ride in my Kahr again. Every thing else has fed without a problem. I shot again Sunday. I think i see a small crack in each of my magazines' followers. Maybe time for a rampadetomy...

———You can't always get what you want, but if you try you get what you need.

I have 18 mags for my CW40. I have broken 1 mag follower. It broke while I was loading the mag. It felt like I put the thing in a bind as I pushed the cartridges down. Not a common ailment I would guess, but does happen.

Some guns just don't like some types of ammo, don't know why.

Hope you get it "cured".
    "Do as I say not as I do"
    "You can't fix stupid"
    "Do what you want, 'cause you will any way"

Stay Safe