Tommy Gun   Magnum Research new   CrossBreed Holsters   Kahr Shop
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 30 rounders?

Question 30 rounders?

Anyone have any success with 30 round mags? Any recommendations? Thanks!!
    ​O|||||||O

Yeah, my recommendation is to forget it, unless you're talking about an AR.
    Last edited by O'Dell; 06-28-2014 at 04:50 PM.

Why?
    ​O|||||||O

Quote Originally Posted by b4uqzme View Post
    Why?
    Because if six rounds isn't enough, carry a spare magazine. If that's insufficient, IMO, you are no longer in a defensive position, you are in a war. If you are in a war, you should have brought an assault weapon, not a pistol.

Anyway, over the years, I have found that a pistol usually works better if you use a magazine of the capacity specified by the designer and supplied by the manufacturer.

Smile

It's an M1 30cal Carbine thread. No harm no foul. We can blame it on the new layout. Have you had any experience with one of those? Mine runs great with 15 rounders but I thought I'd take it to a 3gun match just for grins.
    ​O|||||||O

Oops, sorry about that. I was thinking about buying one seven or eight years ago, that is until I checked the prices. I remembered back in the seventies, you could pick up a pristine M1 Carbine for $60 or $70. No more. I shot them at a Marine range in 1960 and liked them. I think the Marine MI's used a 20 round mag and the full auto M2's used a 30 back then. Anyway, I ended up with a 9mm carbine which was stolen and then replaced with a 45 carbine.

Original milspec mags were fine, don't know about newer versions :53:
    "Do as I say not as I do"
    "You can't fix stupid"
    "Do what you want, 'cause you will any way"

Stay Safe

Quote Originally Posted by O'Dell View Post
    Oops, sorry about that. I was thinking about buying one seven or eight years ago, that is until I checked the prices. I remembered back in the seventies, you could pick up a pristine M1 Carbine for $60 or $70. No more. I shot them at a Marine range in 1960 and liked them. I think the Marine MI's used a 20 round mag and the full auto M2's used a 30 back then. Anyway, I ended up with a 9mm carbine which was stolen and then replaced with a 45 carbine.
    Cripes, you can spend that on magazines nowadays. Thanks for the input.
    ​O|||||||O

Quote Originally Posted by leftysixty View Post
    Original milspec mags were fine, don't know about newer versions :53:
    Haven't really run across any of those in my searches yet. I think they are often considered "collectible". It's them newer versions I'm curious about. Thanks.
    ​O|||||||O

Those three days at the rifle range were the high point of my plebe summer or the whole plebe year for that matter. That year was incredibly stressful for me. On those three days I got to shoot the M1 Garand, the new M14 & M15, [later to be combined into the M14] M1 Carbine, Thompson, BAR, Colt 1911, and 30 cal air cooled Browning MG. The only ones that really counted for qualifying though were the Garand and the Colt. I was lucky enough to qualify "Expert" on both, and those two ribbons were the only ones on my uniform until some time after graduation. I guess all those years as a kid carrying around 'Daisy's' and a Remington 22 finally paid off.