Tommy Gun   Crimsontrace   Tommy Gun Shop   CrossBreed Holsters
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Which ammo will be more effective with a PM9

Quote Originally Posted by Rubb View Post
    After watching all the STB videos I still have no desire to switch from Gold Dot 124+p or 147gr....currently 147gr and 124+p in my spare mag.
    That makes sense. I've been carrying standard pressure 124 gold dots in my CM9. They didn't do well in the STB test.

muggsy: Let's face it, being shot by a .380 will ruin anyone's day.

TNOUTDOORS9 test of the HST in standard pressure and +P is pretty educational

The standard pressure 147gr out of a 4" produces 13.25" of penetration and an average of .664" expansion

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNRqrJRq4T0

The +P 147gr out of a 4" produces 11.25" of penetration and an average of .700" of penetration

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i67WILeK66Y

Sometime extra velocity just results in a bullet expanding more and penetrating less.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidR View Post
    That makes sense. I've been carrying standard pressure 124 gold dots in my CM9. They didn't do well in the STB test.
    And, like you...if was going to switch the only load I would go for would be the 124gr. HST.
    Saving the 124gr. Gold Dot for a 4" bbl is a good idea IMO.
    If a sign could stop evil….They’d make holsters for them!!

Plus quicker follow up shot with standard pressure ammo

My 2 cents which with inflation isn't even worth that but the number one factor in a shooting involving a human being is shot placement....You can have the baddest a$$ +P+++ ammo ever made and the one that www.shootumupbubba.com says is the cat's ars and if you miss the shot it aint gonna work....The real story on 9mm can be found in the FBI Miami bank robbery shoot out....At the time they carried Federal 9mm 147 gn +p ammo and a couple of the bad guys ate several of those but the rounds didn't expand and take them out of the fight and they were able to shoot back and kill the agents before they died so they did a bunch of experiments and found that the lighter 124 gn +P expanded much better so they went to that round before giving up on 9mm and going to 10mm which nobody could shoot well because of the recoil so the 40 S&W was born and became their round of choice because it would reliably penetrate AND expand...

The FBI has all kinds of tests that their ammo must pass before they will use it with penetration being the most important....The Critical Duty was designed to penetrate a barrier and not shed its jacket and still have enough ummph to take out a human target behind auto windshield glass or a door frame....Now while thats all well and good for the FBI and if during a shoot out one of their rounds accidently happens to over penetrate the bad guy and hit a baby or innocent bystander not much would be said but if that happened to one of us in a self defense shooting there would be he!! to pay...Over penetration is not your friend and could possibly cause you to end up in big big trouble....

Bottom line is any powder burned outside the barrel is wasted energy so a 124 gn standard pressure round designed with fast burning powder that will be consumed inside a 2-3 inch barrel will be the best choice and that choice should also come down to you having fired whatever brand be it Speer Gold Dot Short Barrel, Hornady Critical Defense, or whatever in YOUR pistol to be sure they feed EVERY TIME and practice with it until you know you can hit what you are aiming at....A good solid hit with crappy ammo always beats a miss with the most powerful ammo money can buy...

Quote Originally Posted by getsome View Post
    My 2 cents which with inflation isn't even worth that but the number one factor in a shooting involving a human being is shot placement....A good solid hit with crappy ammo always beats a miss with the most powerful ammo money can buy...
    Exactly. Dont forget the obvious.
    The only thing better than having all the guns and ammo you'd ever need would be being able to shoot it all off the back porch.

Want to see what will be the end of our country as we know it???
    Visit here:
    http://www.usdebtclock.org/

Quote Originally Posted by getsome View Post
    My 2 cents which with inflation isn't even worth that but the number one factor in a shooting involving a human being is shot placement....You can have the baddest a$$ +P+++ ammo ever made and the one that www.shootumupbubba.com says is the cat's ars and if you miss the shot it aint gonna work....The real story on 9mm can be found in the FBI Miami bank robbery shoot out....At the time they carried Federal 9mm 147 gn +p ammo and a couple of the bad guys ate several of those but the rounds didn't expand and take them out of the fight and they were able to shoot back and kill the agents before they died so they did a bunch of experiments and found that the lighter 124 gn +P expanded much better so they went to that round before giving up on 9mm and going to 10mm which nobody could shoot well because of the recoil so the 40 S&W was born and became their round of choice because it would reliably penetrate AND expand...

The FBI has all kinds of tests that their ammo must pass before they will use it with penetration being the most important....The Critical Duty was designed to penetrate a barrier and not shed its jacket and still have enough ummph to take out a human target behind auto windshield glass or a door frame....Now while thats all well and good for the FBI and if during a shoot out one of their rounds accidently happens to over penetrate the bad guy and hit a baby or innocent bystander not much would be said but if that happened to one of us in a self defense shooting there would be he!! to pay...Over penetration is not your friend and could possibly cause you to end up in big big trouble....

Bottom line is any powder burned outside the barrel is wasted energy so a 124 gn standard pressure round designed with fast burning powder that will be consumed inside a 2-3 inch barrel will be the best choice and that choice should also come down to you having fired whatever brand be it Speer Gold Dot Short Barrel, Hornady Critical Defense, or whatever in YOUR pistol to be sure they feed EVERY TIME and practice with it until you know you can hit what you are aiming at....A good solid hit with crappy ammo always beats a miss with the most powerful ammo money can buy...

Getsome:

Minor correction.
    The FBI used w-w 9mm 115gr silvertips that expanded fine but were found to under penetrate.
    The 147gr 9mm's were the replacement for them until the 10mm and the 40S&W came on the scene.

-steve
    -NRA Life Member

-It isn’t Islamophobia when they really ARE trying to kill you!

-Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property.
    Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them.
    -Thomas Paine

The Federal HST had excellent test results in 124 & 147 grain.

Thanks sasPM9 you are correct sir....My wife always tells me that I'm frequently wrong but never unsure of myself......The Miami FBI shoot out was so long ago and modern hollow point bullet design has changed so much for the better it makes that old study practically worthless anyway... Thanks for setting me straight, always want to get the facts right...

I've used both of the HST 124 +P and HST 147 in my PM9. They feel entirely different to me. I'm going with the HST 147, P9HST2. I have better control and accuracy with it over the +P. The 124+p, P9HST3, COAL = 1.100 and the 147, P9HST2, COAL = 1.128. The expansion slits on the 147 are a different shape and extend farther down the bullet than on the 124+P. Both should get the job done.