Tommy Gun Shop   Mitch Rosen   Tommy Gun   Kahr Shop
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Do you leave powder in the hopper?

Just a reminder for those that leave powder in the hopper......

Get a small label, about 2 or 3 inches long (1/2 x 2 in) and with a good pencil or Permanent ink, write the full name of the powder in the hopper and put this label inside the hopper on top of the powder. If you add powder to the hopper, raise the label to the top again. If you do this you will "never forget" what powder is in the hopper.

Upstate NY - (nothing like NYC). In remote country with thousands of acres of hunting.

Quote Originally Posted by muggsy View Post
    Gun powder should be stored in the original container that it came in. In that way you know exactly with which powder you are dealing. Trust nothing to memory, particularly at my age. Muggsy has spoken. The wise will listen.
    Totally Agree! It was simple when I only used one powder. Reloading gets more complicated (in terms of variables) as one progresses. As usual, good advice from The Great Wizard of Muggsy.
    My Sword - PM4044N/CTL/Talons
    - "One should diligently train at all times." Miyamoto Musashi
    - "Train in technique until it requires no thought - no mind and just happens." Takan Soho
    - "The truth beyond the technique....Here's where we stop thinking and start shooting." Brian Enos
    - "A single sword against the cold sky." Yamaoka Tesshu
    - "You must concentrate upon and consecrate yourself wholly to each day, as though a fire were raging in your hair."
    Taisen Deshimaru
    - "Know your sword!"

If I have to stop in the middle of a reloading operation and plan to finish it the next day I will leave the powder in the hopper, but I always put something there so I know what powder it is. If I am done loading, I always empty the hopper. It's safer that way.

High Plains Drifter, stuck in a Lowland swamp called California

I leave my powder in the hopper and label the outside of the hopper with the brand of powder in it. I also use dryer anti static sheets cut into strips hanging into the powder. My powder hopper is a Lee and no where as large as the Hornady.